Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Damn we sucked....

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Damn we sucked....
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »
I like to give Gene credit in 2 areas that we don't often think about:

1. He knew we needed a jump start when he was hired. Enter the Spread NH offense of Gus. Gene rode the spread when it was right. We did very well with it, especially under Cam. It helped attract skill player recruits and build a base. But it has a lifespan in our league and he knew this. As Kenny Rogers said, know when to hold em and know when to fold em. Gene knew when to use it and when to throw it to the curb. He knew that his chances for longterm success in the SEC were better under the philisophy we have now - Pro Style O, Van Gorder D.

2. He also is willing to let go of coaches who aren't performing (Roof and Lolley). Roof was given A mulligan. Once it was up? GONE. He makes the changes needed WHEN they are needed. This one is a very welcome tactic. Tubs proved that being too nice a guy with your assts can cost you your ass. Gene isn't making the same mistakes. Not trying to knock Tubs here and worship CGC but this is something I really had issue with.

Neither of those things (while both are true) have any impact on what I was saying. 

May be the best hires ever, but when you're talking about needing the defense to improve by two touchdowns a game on average?   That's a HUGE improvement.  Can that happen in one year?  Not sure. 

Has nothing to do with the hires, the long term direction, the choices, or any of that.  Only looking at next year. 

The chance that the offense will continue to be the most prolific in Auburn history?  Not high.  The chance that the defense won't be the worst in the history of Auburn football?  Pretty good.  Question that nobody can answer is what the difference between the two will be. 

You put a Tuberville-style defense, a Dye-style defense with a Chizik/Malzhan offense?  We just won three national titles.  In a row.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
his chicken is expensive.

But it was tender...and crispy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
You put a Tuberville-style defense, a Dye-style defense with a Chizik/Malzhan offense?  We just won three national titles.  In a row.

This is the only thing I am not sure of. Last year, our offense struggled. Bad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »

Which is exactly why I wrote what I did. Our D was sketchy - which we could get away with as long as we were running the spread on all cyclinders. Last year we did not. Chiz saw the writing on the wall and switched gears.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
That can't be good for anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
Which is exactly why I wrote what I did. Our D was sketchy - which we could get away with as long as we were running the spread on all cyclinders. Last year we did not. Chiz saw the writing on the wall and switched gears.

I'm glad to see us make the switch because ultimately, I love the days of run first and play action.  Was it fun as hell watching this team put up record numbers under Malzahn?  Loved it.  Wouldn't have a problem had Malzahn stayed and we continued with it.  But last year wouldn't have been much better no matter what offense we ran.  Other than one game where we pounded the Cocks with Dyer, we basically suxxed because of a completely gutted line, no fullback, a group of QB's who really weren't SEC caliber and/or SEC ready (Hopefully Frasier will be) and our best weapon at WR injured much of the year.

Not excuses, it is what it is.  They sucked!  But I still think this offense and team are one year away.  Still huge questions on the line and at QB.  Plus, somebody has to step up and give Blake some help.  I truly believe someone in this bunch will and my guess is it will come from Coates or one of the incoming freshmen, Williams or Louis.  Those guys are big time bad asses.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
I'm glad to see us make the switch because ultimately, I love the days of run first and play action.  Was it fun as hell watching this team put up record numbers under Malzahn?  Loved it.  Wouldn't have a problem had Malzahn stayed and we continued with it.  But last year wouldn't have been much better no matter what offense we ran.  Other than one game where we pounded the Cocks with Dyer, we basically suxxed because of a completely gutted line, no fullback, a group of QB's who really weren't SEC caliber and/or SEC ready (Hopefully Frasier will be) and our best weapon at WR injured much of the year.

Not excuses, it is what it is.  They sucked!  But I still think this offense and team are one year away.  Still huge questions on the line and at QB.  Plus, somebody has to step up and give Blake some help.  I truly believe someone in this bunch will and my guess is it will come from Coates or one of the incoming freshmen, Williams or Louis.  Those guys are big time bad asses.   

I just don't think a NH Spread with a Bend don't Break D can sustain in the SEC over a period of time. I think he knew this. I like the new approach. Pro Style and Multiple with a nice stout D is a great recipe for long success. There is the obvious advantage of controlling the clock too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

Look at some of the Tub/Dye defenses.  Go a whole year and give up 92 points?  Or 116? 

Even with that bad-wheel offense we could have done enough.  Part of the offensive struggle (I think) was that we were constantly behind.  Changes how you play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Part of the offensive struggle (I think) was that we were constantly behind.  Changes how you play.
dis be true
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum