Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Hatfields & McCoys

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Hatfields & McCoys
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Yeah but the McCoys act like some for real pussies. In the end, I'm going with the SEC on this one.

I thought that kind of too but then thought it may have been because Randall McCoy was just that kind of guy. They make it apparent that he likes to do things the right way and is deeply religious. He seems to try and keep things on a civil level to a fault. He even scolded The bounty hunter, Phillips, for scalping skunkhead instead of just bringing him in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
I thought that kind of too but then thought it may have been because Randall McCoy was just that kind of guy. They make it apparent that he likes to do things the right way and is deeply religious. He seems to try and keep things on a civil level to a fault. He even scolded The bounty hunter, Phillips, for scalping skunkhead instead of just bringing him in.

I like Randall but the three boys that got that ass shot up, and the two bit lawyer, were more at fault than Jim Vance imo. The only real questionable thing I have with against Randall is how he did his daughter. Thats was some bullshit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:03:59 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »

According to others, not the history channel, Randal McCoy was considered somewhat of a gossip and was thought to have been jealous of Anse Hatfield for his success.  I don't know so much about wanting to do things the right way, he did hire a bounty hunter to go after the Hatfields who I don't really think was on the up and up.  I will agree that he seemed to be a better person than Anse Hatfield though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »
I like Randall but the three boys that got that ass shot up, and the two bit lawyer, were more at fault than Jim Vance imo. The only real questionable thing I have with against Randall is how he did his daughter. Thats was some bullshit.

I know one thing. I like Frank Phillips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
According to others, not the history channel, Randal McCoy was considered somewhat of a gossip and was thought to have been jealous of Anse Hatfield for his success.  I don't know so much about wanting to do things the right way, he did hire a bounty hunter to go after the Hatfields who I don't really think was on the up and up.  I will agree that he seemed to be a better person than Anse Hatfield though.

He was a bit envious but it was for good reason. Hatfield deserted the war as a soldier. He left the rest of them to get captured into a POW camp while he escaped back home to profit off a demand during war time. He ran out on his fellow soldiers during battle - thats a huge no-no in my book. I would have been pretty pissed too. Hatfield seemed real political and full of himself. Basically Randall McCoy already wasn't fond of him - then when Vance killed Harmon and the McCoy pig was stolen, and nothing was done about it, they decided to retaliate. Even the bounty part was all because Hatfield wanted to be a vigilante and shoot up the three sons instead of going the legal route when the sheriff was trying to arrest them. Nevermind his brother was the judge who orchestrated that in the woods when they caught em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
I know one thing. I like Frank Phillips.

I my fav in the show is Cap Hatfield.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »
He was a bit envious but it was for good reason. Hatfield deserted the war as a soldier. He left the rest of them to get captured into a POW camp while he escaped back home to profit off a demand during war time. He ran out on his fellow soldiers during battle - thats a huge no-no in my book. I would have been pretty pissed too. Hatfield seemed real political and full of himself. Basically Randall McCoy already wasn't fond of him - then when Vance killed Harmon and the McCoy pig was stolen, and nothing was done about it, they decided to retaliate. Even the bounty part was all because Hatfield wanted to be a vigilante and shoot up the three sons instead of going the legal route when the sheriff was trying to arrest them. Nevermind his brother was the judge who orchestrated that in the woods when they caught em.

I have read several things on this and I have never seen it stated that he deserted the war. I know he left the regular army to turn guerrilla, but maybe he did. Is that in the movie?  I just don't think Phillips was on the up and up and personally would have went after my sons killers myself back in those days, but still agree that Anse was an asshole.  Then again that may be the thing I like about him.  Reminds me of me.  :)

I think his dislike of Hatfield was more over the way that he got some real estate through the courts that belonged to one of McCoy's cousins or something like that.  The funny thing about the pig resolution was that McCoy would have won the case if it hadn't been for testimony by his own relatives against him.  Both of them were stupid beyond belief and should have put an end to it earlier. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
I have read several things on this and I have never seen it stated that he deserted the war. I know he left the regular army to turn guerrilla, but maybe he did. Is that in the movie?  I just don't think Phillips was on the up and up and personally would have went after my sons killers myself back in those days, but still agree that Anse was an asshole.  Then again that may be the thing I like about him.  Reminds me of me.  :)

I think his dislike of Hatfield was more over the way that he got some real estate through the courts that belonged to one of McCoy's cousins or something like that.  The funny thing about the pig resolution was that McCoy would have won the case if it hadn't been for testimony by his own relatives against him.  Both of them were stupid beyond belief and should have put an end to it earlier.

Yep, Hatfield was well connected politically, had a relative for the judge and got away with a lot. Many (not just McCoy) disliked him. They pissed a lot of people off with their smugness and attitude of running the show.

Yeah, the pig case was funny to me. His own drunk relative cost him the case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »

In the show, Hatfield deserted the war and went back home to make a killing with the lumber. Lawyer McCoy went to Anse with a document stating that Hatfields land had actually been given over to the McCoys; with a signed witness. Only problem is the witness had died two years earlier than the document had been notarized. Anse had the tombstone to prove it. This pretty much opened the door for the Hatfields to get the timber rights to all of the McCoys land, 5000 acres I think. Since Lawyer McCoy was still getting his name, such a forgery would have screwed his law practice for life.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:08:42 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
I need to watch this so I can compare the movie to what I have read before.  I will wait until I have all three and fast forward through the commercials and watch it all in one sitting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
I need to watch this so I can compare the movie to what I have read before.  I will wait until I have all three and fast forward through the commercials and watch it all in one sitting.

So far comparing them side by side, its pretty spot on. Of course Hollywood always takes minor liberties to make things more interesting in a movie, but the general story seems spot on. I read up on it before Episode 1. Tonight, lots of people will die. Its gonna get ugly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Well, I sat and watched about the entire series last night.  It was definitely riveting stuff.  The acting was great, the setting was awesome and I knew I was going to watch it til the end.  A couple of problems for me were first, I had a hard time figuring out what klan I was watching.  The story really jumped around and had no flow.  It was like one minute, they're in the sheriff's office talking about bounties and they immediately switched to a big shootout in some open field.  Couldn't tell who was shooting at who or why it started in the first place.  And just when you think 3/4 or 67.3% of one klan gets kilt...they show up with 20 riders in the next scene. 

Still, I enjoyed it overall.  And Costner is one hell of an actor...in everything he's ever done.  Everything!!!  Okay, I keed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
Well, I sat and watched about the entire series last night.  It was definitely riveting stuff.  The acting was great, the setting was awesome and I knew I was going to watch it til the end.  A couple of problems for me were first, I had a hard time figuring out what klan I was watching.  The story really jumped around and had no flow.  It was like one minute, they're in the sheriff's office talking about bounties and they immediately switched to a big shootout in some open field.  Couldn't tell who was shooting at who or why it started in the first place.  And just when you think 3/4 or 67.3% of one klan gets kilt...they show up with 20 riders in the next scene. 

Still, I enjoyed it overall.  And Costner is one hell of an actor...in everything he's ever done.  Everything!!!  Okay, I keed.

Excellent final episode. We got to see Hatfield finally coming around to his senses and realizing the whole thing was stupid. He also apparently found his peace and religion. It also appears that McCoy never recovered mentally from losing that many relatives at one time. The New Years Eve massacre sent him over the edge and he never got normal again. Sad story really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »
I agree. The last episode was pretty good, and a pretty good finish to a crazy ass story. Something ruthless sombitches I tell you. I did find out that a good portion of what was in the story came from Cap Hatfield. There is a book out there called 'The Tale of the Devil' if any history buffs want to check it out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions