Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Would You Like to See Florida Back on Our Regular Schedule?

Rivalry began in 1912 with a 27-13 Auburn victory.  We've met 83 times, and Auburn leads the series 43-38-2.  We share similar colors.  We're the closest SEC team to Gainesville. 

Some notable games between the two:

1939 - First game played at Jordan-Hare Stadium (previously named Auburn Stadium) was against Florida.

1957 - The first time a rivalry game featured two ranked teams.  Auburn won by the way. 

1966 - The Ole Ball Player played the best game of his Heisman Winning Season, and he even kicked a field goal to win the game. 

1976 - Our live eagle mascot - War Eagle - received a 15 yard penalty for leaving its perch and clawing a Florida player.

1990 - The Rise of Spurrier.  Spurrier's first year offense had been disrespected by many - including Pat Dye - as a pass happy gimmick that wouldn't last long.  This was the first time the Gators faced a decent defense and lit up the sky paving the way for a long Florida dynasty in the 90s.

1993 - Scott Etheridge kicked a 41 yard field goal to knock off the highly ranked Gators despite Florida's domination of the stat chart. 

1994 - Auburn went to The Swamp and beat #1 ranked Florida.  Ever heard of Nix to Sanders?

2001 - Auburn was unranked and a 21 point underdog.  Florida was #1 and led by Heisman candidate Rex Grossman.  The final?  Damn Duval scored the only 3 points that mattered and Auburn won. 

2002 - Auburn almost did it again with a game winning field goal, but it was blocked.  Florida won in overtime.

2006 - Auburn was fresh off of a loss against Arkansas and Florida was rolling in hot.  Ranked #2, Florida was favored to win in Jordan-Hare; however, Auburn was led by a ferocious young linebacker named Trey Blackmon and a vicious punt blocker named Tre Smith.  Many Auburn fans claim that this was the loudest game ever played at Jordan-Hare with Auburn holding onto the tough victory. 

2007 - Double digit underdogs and going into The Swamp - As Lou Holtz put it - "If Auburn wins, I'll run for senator."  Auburn did win with a steady running game, tough defense, and clutch kicking by true freshman Wes Byrum.  How cool was he? 

As one that did not become an Auburn fan until 2003 when I entered school there, I must say that I don't know that much about the Florida-Auburn rivalry.  But it seems a whole hell of a lot more fun than playing Arkansas every year.  Even Georgia.  I'd replace Georgia with Florida in a heartbeat if I could.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Would You Like to See Florida Back on Our Regular Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
I wouldn't replace UGA, but I love the UF games.  would rather play them than almost every other  SECE team.  I'm particularly fucking tired of USCE.

and Clemson

and Wisconsin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
If we're talking about adding teams back to the schedule my votes go to Tennessee an Georgia Tech. 

I hated Tennessee in the 80s. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »
1990 - The Rise of Spurrier. Spurrier's first year offense had been disrespected by many -including Pat Dye - as a pass happy gimmick that wouldn't last long. This was the first time the Gators faced a decent defense and lit up the sky paving the way for a long Florida dynasty in the 90s.
What a ball buster. We got our ass whipped that night, something like 48-7 if my memory serves me correctly, and I don't think it was even that close. This was the first game in a looooooong time - way back to the Barfield years (or that trip to Lincoln to play the Huskers in Dye's first year - that an Auburn squad got hammered in such a manner.

I would love to have the Gators as an annual opponent, especially so, given our mastery of them since Spurrier left. I would gladly trade Arkansas and the rotating east team to have UF & Tennessee back as regulars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
What a ball buster. We got our ass whipped that night, something like 48-7 if my memory serves me correctly, and I don't think it was even that close. This was the first game in a looooooong time - way back to the Barfield years (or that trip to Lincoln to play the Huskers in Dye's first year - that an Auburn squad got hammered in such a manner.

I would love to have the Gators as an annual opponent, especially so, given our mastery of them since Spurrier left. I would gladly trade Arkansas and the rotating east team to have UF & Tennessee back as regulars.

The trip TO Lincoln was a good one.  Something like 13-6.  They busted us up pretty good at home late. The only game I've ever left early. 

We fumbled two or three times to kill promising drives in their territory and fumbled once to give them an easy score.  Still was just 21-7 when I left in the fourth quarter (after another turnover I think) and headed for the car. 

By the time I got to my Mustang?  It was 41-7.  Three fourth quarter scores including one in the very late going (under a minute if I remember right).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:10:11 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

Yep...my one and only trip to Gainesville.
They sat the Auburn fans directly beside the Florida student section.  Most miserable I have been inside a stadium until 2008.  The lone bright spot was a long touchdown on a screen pass by a guy named Joe Frazier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »
2006 - Auburn was fresh off of a loss against Arkansas and Florida was rolling in hot.  Ranked #2, Florida was favored to win in Jordan-Hare; however, Auburn was led by a ferocious young linebacker named Trey Blackmon and a vicious punt blocker named Tre Smith.  Many Auburn fans claim that this was the loudest game ever played at Jordan-Hare with Auburn holding onto the tough victory. 

Anybody that says that wasn't there for UGA at AU 2004, LSU at AU 2004 or 2006.  I was tired and sore after LSU at AU 2006.  Loudest hardest hitting game I've ever witnessed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
Anybody that says that wasn't there for UGA at AU 2004, LSU at AU 2004 or 2006.  I was tired and sore after LSU at AU 2006.  Loudest hardest hitting game I've ever witnessed.

I was there for all of them, but I was in the section 11 right next to the student section.  Maybe that had something to do with it. 

That Florida game - especially when we blocked the punt - was the loudest I've ever heard Jordan-Hare. 

2004 Georgia game was kind of quiet.  We had their dick smashed into the dirt at kickoff. 

The only game I've heard compared to 2006 Florida was the 1989 Iron Bowl, but I wasn't there for that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
The only game I've heard compared to 2006 Florida was the 1989 Iron Bowl, but I wasn't there for that.

I'd add 2003 Iron Bowl when Caddy ripped off the run, to the list of those two.  I think on that run, the stadium was louder than any game in 93.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
I was there for all of them, but I was in the section 11 right next to the student section.  Maybe that had something to do with it. 

That Florida game - especially when we blocked the punt - was the loudest I've ever heard Jordan-Hare. 

2004 Georgia game was kind of quiet.  We had their dick smashed into the dirt at kickoff. 

It was loud as hell when we blocked the punt.  I don't know if I can compare one to the other from that long ago, but I recall 2004 UGA, and 2006 LSU being damn loud. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
By the time I got to my Mustang?  It was 41-7.

Must have been a keen year.

I remember the Wasden catch in the 89 (I think) game. I was also at the 93 game and the 2001 game. The 2001 game was cold and wet. Both of those were crazy games. I'm like Wes, I would really rather play them than any other team in the SECe. Also sick of SC and Clemson. Living on the AL/GA border, I'm also getting sick of UGA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
Yep...my one and only trip to Gainesville.
They sat the Auburn fans directly beside the Florida student section.  Most miserable I have been inside a stadium until 2008.  The lone bright spot was a long touchdown on a screen pass by a guy named Joe Frazier.
I <3 that guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."