Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Zeke Pike learning his way at Auburn

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Zeke Pike learning his way at Auburn
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
AUBURN, Alabama -- Zeke Pike is catching on, to the speed of the college game, to the proper footwork of playing quarterback, to a healthy appreciation on how to handle the spotlight. 

The player who made a splash with some controversial Twitter comments about opposing teams before arriving at Auburn was respectful in every way in his first appearance before the media this spring after Saturday's A-Day Game in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

"I'm making progress. It's just about getting better," Pike offered. 

Pike graduated high school early, arrived in Auburn in January and quickly found himself in a quarterback race after Barrett Trotter decided to skip his senior year. 

Pike has been trying to catch up with the more experienced Clint Moseley and Kiehl Frazier in practice, and received a boost in practice time as Moseley nursed a sore shoulder. 

Pike, playing before an Auburn crowd for the first time, was the second quarterback in at the A-Day Game. He completed 4-of-8 passes

His work isn't done, either. Auburn will practice again today in its final spring workout. 

Pike was downright diplomatic about his play Saturday. 

"We're learning a new system right now, and I think all three of us are really learning a lot," he said. "I'm a work in progress. I'm really blessed to be out there

Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler has kept the pressure off Pike all spring, reminding all that the freshman should be worrying about his senior prom, not spending the spring in a college stadium. 

"He's learning," Loeffler said. "Those throw windows close quickly. 

"As he learns the offense and becomes more consistent, he'll be able to feel those windows. But for a young guy learning a new system, he did a nice job. But we have a lot to improve on at that position." 

Moseley said Pike has "come a long way from the beginning of spring."

"He should be in high school," Moseley said. "And even when you come in as a true freshman in the normal time, it's a lot. But you come in as a high school senior, it's a lot. His head's spinning. You could tell he struggled a lot at first, but he's came a long way. 

"He's still got a long way to go. It's just like we all were. He's getting a lot better. He takes coaching pretty well, so that's very encouraging. He's got a lot of potential." 

Pike, who missed two games his senior season because of suspensions, said his biggest adjustment has been switching from the spread offense to a pro-set where he lines up under center. And making sure he stays true to one of Loeffler's pet peeves. 

"The biggest thing right now is just footwork," Pike said. "A lot of us weren't developed as a true, true quarterback. We all kind of came from the spread. We're really starting to learn how to play the position and learning how important footwork is. 

"We're getting more fundamentally sound. That's the biggest thing for all three of us right now -- along with learning the new offense and being able to completely run it." 

Pike was a believer in offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn when he committed, but Malzahn left for Arkansas State before Pike arrived. 
"When I chose to come to Auburn, I chose Auburn for Auburn. I love this place down here. I know I'm in a great situation right now," Pike said. "I couldn't ask for a better coach than coach Loeffler. I think the two other guys would say the same things."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."