Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Day game thread

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: A Day game thread
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
I still got my eyes on that train.  He's had to overcome a lot and has squeezed some pretty good effort out a few games. 

The defensive problems concern me (all Roof?  Why the FLACK did it take three years to fix that then?).  Getting absolutely skull fucked by your biggest competitors -- Arky, UA, UGA and LSU -- two out of three is a concern.   Not to be greedy but I don't too much give a shit about beating Utah State, Samford, Montevallo or Ole Miss.  Yeah, I want to win those, but an eight win season and 0-4 against Hogs, Dogs, Turds and Bengals?  I got a mouth full of meh. 

Not saying Cam was a one-man team, but I do want to see this team to grow to the point that it has weapons out the ass and I would prefer that it be built defense first.  Cause it they can't score you don't have to do too damn much.

Not sure where I am pulling this from but....I could have sworn I read something about the initial coaches that Chizik brought in agreeing to a 3 yr min contract at Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
All hat, no cattle.
Yes, but his helmet was always lined up perfectly with the others during practice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

JR4AU

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
I like what they're trying to do. 

Go to the 3:21 mark.  Do frame by frame.  Get to about 3:24.  Watch the motion.   He loads up by dropping his lower body and then brings his entire upper body around.  His left shoulder falls away and back eventually pointing at the ground. His right foot pivots up off the ground and helps propel his right side forward.  By the end of the throw his right side is high, his left has dipped away toward the ground and he's almost stumble stepping forward. 

Been a long time since I analyzed QB mechanics from anywhere but my office while I pretended to work, but that's -- at least to me -- classic shot put motion.   It's not "cock and release" with wrist and follow through it's more "heave and follow" using a lot of the shoulder. 

If he were unleashing a 50-yard bomb I could see maybe having to summon that kind of bring the nuts heave, but he's hitting a guy 10-15 yards laterally.   Should be able to do that without flinging his body toward the target.  I don't want to see him do a shitty Moseley "angel wing" skip where he opens his entire body up like he's leaping off a cliff and then lobs the ball while falling backward, but that's a lot of oomph for a little throw. 

FWIW (clearly nothing)  I also thought Pike's fluidity made Clint look like the tinman from Oz.  His footwork and comfort in his own skin was 10x better than Clint (in that video).

I watched it, and didn't really see what you were describing.  As I said though, the details of QB throwing mechanics are not my thing, but I didn't see what you seem to describe as him physically struggling to launch an  short pass.

I agree on Pike.   To be so young, and so reportedly "unpolished", Pike looks pretty good to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
I still got my eyes on that train.  He's had to overcome a lot and has squeezed some pretty good effort out a few games. 

The defensive problems concern me (all Roof?  Why the FLACK did it take three years to fix that then?).  Getting absolutely skull fucked by your biggest competitors -- Arky, UA, UGA and LSU -- two out of three is a concern.   Not to be greedy but I don't too much give a shit about beating Utah State, Samford, Montevallo or Ole Miss.  Yeah, I want to win those, but an eight win season and 0-4 against Hogs, Dogs, Turds and Bengals?  I got a mouth full of meh. 

Not saying Cam was a one-man team, but I do want to see this team to grow to the point that it has weapons out the ass and I would prefer that it be built defense first.  Cause it they can't score you don't have to do too damn much.
It didn't ”take three years to fix it”...it took one year (the 2011 season). The 2009 season Auburn didn't ”get skull fucked” by 2 of Auburn's 4 biggest competitors (they showed a lot of fight in the two games that they got beat bad). The 2010 season Auburn went undefeated. The 2011 season Auburn's Defense looked like shit and the DC was fired (allowed to look elsewhere)...don't forget that was the season after Auburn lost 9+ starters on Defense (not including Safety Mike McNurra).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:11:39 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

Go to the 3:21 mark.  Do frame by frame.  Get to about 3:24.  Watch the motion.   He loads up by dropping his lower body and then brings his entire upper body around.  His left shoulder falls away and back eventually pointing at the ground. His right foot pivots up off the ground and helps propel his right side forward.  By the end of the throw his right side is high, his left has dipped away toward the ground and he's almost stumble stepping forward. 

Been a long time since I analyzed QB mechanics from anywhere but my office while I pretended to work, but that's -- at least to me -- classic shot put motion.   It's not "cock and release" with wrist and follow through it's more "heave and follow" using a lot of the shoulder. 

If he were unleashing a 50-yard bomb I could see maybe having to summon that kind of bring the nuts heave, but he's hitting a guy 10-15 yards laterally.   Should be able to do that without flinging his body toward the target.  I don't want to see him do a shitty Moseley "angel wing" skip where he opens his entire body up like he's leaping off a cliff and then lobs the ball while falling backward, but that's a lot of oomph for a little throw. 

I typically agree with you on things...but I am going to call bullshit on most of this little part right here...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »
I watched it, and didn't really see what you were describing.  As I said though, the details of QB throwing mechanics are not my thing, but I didn't see what you seem to describe as him physically struggling to launch an  short pass.

I agree on Pike.   To be so young, and so reportedly "unpolished", Pike looks pretty good to me.

I don't know how to do frame by frame stills so I can't post them. 

Didn't really mean to imply necessarily that he was struggling to throw the ball.  Just that his mechanical progressions make it look like he's heaving it rather than throwing.  When I look at the throws around the 4:00 mark to the other side it doesn't seem quite as bad.  I'm still struggling to figure out his release though.  Something's odd/weird/funny about it either in release point or follow through. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

The defensive problems concern me (all Roof?  Why the FLACK did it take three years to fix that then?).

Year one is a bye for Roof (not your own recruits, guys learning your system, yada yada, etc, etc).\

Year two, we won the NC and the D came up huge in the championship game (well, Fairley and the rest of the D-Line came up huge) buys him another season.

Year three, sucked ass and he was gone.  I wouldn't find that timeline unreasonable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:01 PM »
Year one is a bye for Roof (not your own recruits, guys learning your system, yada yada, etc, etc).\

Year two, we won the NC and the D came up huge in the championship game (well, Fairley and the rest of the D-Line came up huge) buys him another season.

Year three, sucked ass and he was gone.  I wouldn't find that timeline unreasonable.

We've changed coordinators many times before.  Never had one field the worst defense in the entire history of Auburn football for three straight years.  Struggle a bit?  Yeah.  Sure.  Worst defense ever?  Hard to justify. 

I understand the need to give Chizik some latitude on it.  But I also understand that everyone here knew even in 2010 that what we were doing on defense wasn't working.  That on the days we couldn't outgun somebody we were likely screwed big time. 

I also understand the timing.  You can't toss Roof out on his ass after shutting down Alabama in the second half and then completely stuffing the really fast elementary school kids from Oregon. 

But surely something could have done to prevent... ah, nevermind.  Made the best of a difficult situation timing wise.  I will say that had Roof been reassigned after 2010 nobody would have made a sound.  We knew. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »

In most circumstances I'd agree, but Roof inherited a Defense that, despite a pitiful offense, had been a top 15 D the year prior.  They were not talentless.  He took them from good to suckage immediately, despite the fact the offense went from worst to top 15.   The defense was the reason we didn't win 10 in 2009.

2010, the DL was probably the difference in an 11 win season, and the NC. 

Year 3 was the same suck ass defense with a no talent/young offense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »
In most circumstances I'd agree, but Roof inherited a Defense that, despite a pitiful offense, had been a top 15 D the year prior.  They were not talentless.  He took them from good to suckage immediately, despite the fact the offense went from worst to top 15.   The defense was the reason we didn't win 10 in 2009.

2010, the DL was probably the difference in an 11 win season, and the NC. 

Year 3 was the same suck ass defense with a no talent/young offense.

At the same time Malzahn took an offense that couldn't score if you gave it $1000 and the name of Lindsay Lohan's meth dealer and started immediately churning out yards and points with the same dead-armed, concrete footed walrus we all wanted to run out of town with pitchforks and torches the year before.  I remember the collective groans when Todd was named starter. Mine was among them. 

Would Roof have gotten three years if we didn't simultaneously have some of the most prolific offenses in AU history? 

Other than Alabama in 2009 (and their offense is stagnant) which game did the defense keep Auburn in?  I looked and didn't see one.  On the nights the offense struggled (LSU, Kentucky, Arkansas) we lost. 

Other than Oregon and half of Alabama in 2010, which game did the defense keep us in? 

Any game in 2011? 

Just asking. 

I understand how it happened, but what if we'd give the same three year pass to the offense?  World of shit McFly.  World of shit. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:17:14 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
At the same time Malzahn took an offense that couldn't score if you gave it $1000 and the name of Lindsay Lohan's meth dealer and started immediately churning out yards and points with the same dead-armed, concrete footed walrus we all wanted to run out of town with pitchforks and torches the year before.  I remember the collective groans when Todd was named starter. Mine was among them. 

Would Roof have gotten three years if we didn't simultaneously have some of the most prolific offenses in AU history? 

Other than Alabama in 2009 (and their offense is stagnant) which game did the defense keep Auburn in?  I looked and didn't see one.  On the nights the offense struggled (LSU, Kentucky, Arkansas) we lost. 

Other than Oregon and half of Alabama in 2010, which game did the defense keep us in? 

Any game in 2011? 

Just asking. 

I understand how it happened, but what if we'd give the same three year pass to the offense?  World of shit McFly.  World of shit.

Roof wouldn't have gotten past 2010 had it been like 2009.   It is my belief that Roof was hired to placate Malzahn.  Malzahn's philosophy is that you can't worry about defensive stats if you run his offense the way he wants.  This is contrary to Chizik's way of thinking, but he was willing to tolerate it for the short term recruiting boost Malzahn brought.  Roof was done whenever Malzahn was done at Auburn, regardless of the circumstances.  When Chiz realized how shittastic our situation was on offense last year, he handcuffed Malzahn, which mean he Malzahn was gone because he wasn't going to tolerate that.  That, and how bad we were on D sealed his fate.   

The defense as a whole was suckage in 2010, but the D Line was solid vs the run, and that made it viable as long as the offense showed up.  Under an overall different team philosophy (like the one we seem to be moving to), and with someone with some aggression running it, that defense would have been a championship level defense even with an average offense.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:10:09 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

Just yanking your chain.

And FWIW, I don't even want to imagine how badly Tubs would be getting anus drilled by the likes of those 4 today/this season. I like how Chizik changed the culture more than anything. Also the recruiting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
Just yanking your chain.

And FWIW, I don't even want to imagine how badly Tubs would be getting anus drilled by the likes of those 4 today/this season. I like how Chizik changed the culture more than anything. Also the recruiting.

And that's why I'm ok for now. 

As far back as the 2009 WVU game I said he'd made things fun again.  The last couple of years under Tuberville felt almost like drudgery.  Part of that was Jacobs.  Never on the same page.  Part of that was Tuberville.  A little hurt/bitter and circling his loyal wagons. 

We were divided.  Not so much any more. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
And that's why I'm ok for now. 

As far back as the 2009 WVU game I said he'd made things fun again.  The last couple of years under Tuberville felt almost like drudgery.  Part of that was Jacobs.  Never on the same page.  Part of that was Tuberville.  A little hurt/bitter and circling his loyal wagons. 

We were divided.  Not so much any more.

I felt like Tubs had more of a Wade Phillips "Aww shucks, oh well - we shall live another day tomorrow" type personality to him. Losses didn't seem to bother him, AND that bothered fans.

Chizik walks around like he is the fucking man because he is. I like the swagger. More like a Dye type. Saban isn't going to intimidate him. He is going to go after the best recruits nationally, and he is going to produce quality men whether they play pro football or not after Auburn. If you aren't quality? Buh bye. He has kicked a ton of folks off the team and I like it. You can't let a culture of thuggery exist in the lockeroom. It is what has singlehandedly held UGA back the last 10 years. Richt, by letting "talented thugs" remain in his lockerroom, is committing subtraction in the long run letting those types linger around. Their team has never had total chemistry, much of that due to the "I" type players he keeps around.

When I take all of that into consideration (along with Saban being a dick and ALL business, Miles being a buffoon, Petrino's shenanigans, Mullen being a dickhead), then YES - I am very happy with the guy we have at the helm. He treads the line perfectly between being a good coach, a mentor to young men, winning ball games and having fun. I can't really point to any other coach in the SEC who does the balancing act as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
I felt like Tubs had more of a Wade Phillips "Aww shucks, oh well - we shall live another day tomorrow" type personality to him. Losses didn't seem to bother him, AND that bothered fans.

Chizik walks around like he is the fucking man because he is. I like the swagger. More like a Dye type. Saban isn't going to intimidate him. He is going to go after the best recruits nationally, and he is going to produce quality men whether they play pro football or not after Auburn. If you aren't quality? Buh bye. He has kicked a ton of folks off the team and I like it. You can't let a culture of thuggery exist in the lockeroom. It is what has singlehandedly held UGA back the last 10 years. Richt, by letting "talented thugs" remain in his lockerroom, is committing subtraction in the long run letting those types linger around. Their team has never had total chemistry, much of that due to the "I" type players he keeps around.

When I take all of that into consideration (along with Saban being a dick and ALL business, Miles being a buffoon, Petrino's shenanigans, Mullen being a dickhead), then YES - I am very happy with the guy we have at the helm. He treads the line perfectly between being a good coach, a mentor to young men, winning ball games and having fun. I can't really point to any other coach in the SEC who does the balancing act as well.

Yep
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »

Agree...plus he is taller than saban
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum