Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Day game thread

JR4AU

Re: A Day game thread
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »
Your avatar is sufficient evidence of KF's throwing issues.  Look where his arm is.  His elbow is too low and the point of release too far past his head for him to throw well.  That's the physical positioning of somebody who is trying to "place" the ball rather than throw it.

I'm no QB coach, and not an expert in QB mechanics.   I can generally recognize really good or really bad/awkward QB mechanics, but the finer details are not my thing.  One still pic isn't enough to diagnose him as completely fucked up mechanics wise.   Frazier's only incompletion the other day was a drop by Coats.  I heard Stan commenting after the first pass, that Frazier has a habit of not getting his shoulders turned to point at his target, and you can see that in the video below when they move to throwing the ball at the 1:20 mark.  You can see Loeffler coaching him on just that, AND when the other 2 take their reps, look how much more shoulder turn they get the first time.   Other than that, his throwing motion looks ok to me.  I have seen him at times try to "place" the ball, which IME it more a problem with confidence, than mechanics.  I think that can be coached out with reps, and gaining confidence.  It's simply a matter of muscle memory...reps done the right way.  I've seen QBs with worse mechanics be successful.  He hit a nice throw on a post route, and that fade-stop to Blake was on the money as well.  He may not be completely polished, but what I see so far puts him way ahead of Moseley. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:51:43 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Tebow and Vince Young were also said by critics to have a tendency to "push" the ball from an angle instead of the traditional motion. Just saying - if he can make it work successfully, I don't care how he throws. I'm sure our OC has looked at every aspect of these guys and if he thinks it a serious issue he will address.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
I know shit about mechanics.

I watched the game last night focusing on Frazier.  To me he seemed leaps and bounds ahead of last year.  He made some solid throws, while scrambling in the pocket and keeping his head down field. 

I didn't see what Kaos saw that made me think he had little arm strength (can he flick it with a wrist as far as Cam did...No... but he is also not Cam) He also had some good scrambles out of the pocket which if they weren't playing two hand touch would have been long gains.  He also had a blindside sack that would have been a turnover, and he would have been leveled. 

Bottom line is this, for the little we saw of him in a spring game that means nothing, with an offense that shows nothing, he looked improved to me.  Does that mean I am optimistic for this year?  Shit no!! We have a long way to go, but I did like what I saw.  Frankly, If he has the worst throwing motion this side of Tebow but gets the ball to his target and scores points that is all I really care about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
Last year at the scrimmage the week before the season, Frazier got virtually all the snaps.  After a while, we all looked at each other and said there's a reason he's not going to start.  He literally couldn't throw it straight to a man 7 yards away.  Most of his completed passes were on nice catches where the receiver had to make a big adjustment. 

Like many, I don't know squat about QB mechanics either.  I just know that was a different player Saturday.  Will he tear it up this year?  Have no clue, but he's definitely better than he was in the Fall.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:43:07 AM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
I agree with GF and Snaggs.  He looked 110% better than he did last season.  Another thing I saw was that Pike...once he gets some extended reps with the starting receivers...will be a great one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
I agree with GF and Snaggs.  He looked 110% better than he did last season.  Another thing I saw was that Pike...once he gets some extended reps with the starting receivers...will be a great one.

I know you enjoyed the Blakely long-run handoff from Pike. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
One thing that will help the QBs is the short/quick passing game, and the bootleg/rollouts.  From what I saw the other day, they have some work to do on the dropback game, and much of that centers around protection. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
I agree with GF and Snaggs.  He looked 110% better than he did last season.

Notice the reps the top 3 guys get, then notice where the other 2 QBs are?  Well that was Frazier's lot last year.   The battle was between Trotter and Moseley, and Frazier was only given his small number of run plays.  Amazing how much a kid can improve once he's getting the quality reps in practice and had some experience with the speed of the game at this level.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »
Notice the reps the top 3 guys get, then notice where the other 2 QBs are?  Well that was Frazier's lot last year.   The battle was between Trotter and Moseley, and Frazier was only given his small number of run plays.  Amazing how much a kid can improve once he's getting the quality reps in practice and had some experience with the speed of the game at this level.

and a better teacher
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
and a better teacher

Uh, yeah.  Teh last guy was teh suxxors!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
Uh, yeah.  Teh last guy was teh suxxors!

All Cam
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
I know you enjoyed the Blakely long-run handoff from Pike.

It was a thing of beauty.  Not too much thumb.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
For what it's worth, which very well may be absolutely nothing, Kaos reported very unfavorably on Cam's A-Day two years ago.

Just sayin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
For what it's worth, which very well may be absolutely nothing, Kaos reported very unfavorably on Cam's A-Day two years ago.

Just sayin.

All hat, no cattle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »

Just sayin.

He was getting shitty coaching.  When he quit listening to Malzahn, and just ran the offense his way, things went much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »

Just sayin.

And on Chizik...period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »

Just sayin.

For what it's worth I did not. 

I said I didn't see enough to have any idea. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
And on Chizik...period.

I still got my eyes on that train.  He's had to overcome a lot and has squeezed some pretty good effort out a few games. 

The defensive problems concern me (all Roof?  Why the FLACK did it take three years to fix that then?).  Getting absolutely skull fucked by your biggest competitors -- Arky, UA, UGA and LSU -- two out of three is a concern.   Not to be greedy but I don't too much give a shit about beating Utah State, Samford, Montevallo or Ole Miss.  Yeah, I want to win those, but an eight win season and 0-4 against Hogs, Dogs, Turds and Bengals?  I got a mouth full of meh. 

Not saying Cam was a one-man team, but I do want to see this team to grow to the point that it has weapons out the ass and I would prefer that it be built defense first.  Cause it they can't score you don't have to do too damn much. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
I'm no QB coach, and not an expert in QB mechanics.   I can generally recognize really good or really bad/awkward QB mechanics, but the finer details are not my thing.  One still pic isn't enough to diagnose him as completely fucked up mechanics wise.   Frazier's only incompletion the other day was a drop by Coats.  I heard Stan commenting after the first pass, that Frazier has a habit of not getting his shoulders turned to point at his target, and you can see that in the video below when they move to throwing the ball at the 1:20 mark.  You can see Loeffler coaching him on just that, AND when the other 2 take their reps, look how much more shoulder turn they get the first time.   Other than that, his throwing motion looks ok to me.  I have seen him at times try to "place" the ball, which IME it more a problem with confidence, than mechanics.  I think that can be coached out with reps, and gaining confidence.  It's simply a matter of muscle memory...reps done the right way.  I've seen QBs with worse mechanics be successful.  He hit a nice throw on a post route, and that fade-stop to Blake was on the money as well.  He may not be completely polished, but what I see so far puts him way ahead of Moseley. 

I like what they're trying to do. 

Go to the 3:21 mark.  Do frame by frame.  Get to about 3:24.  Watch the motion.   He loads up by dropping his lower body and then brings his entire upper body around.  His left shoulder falls away and back eventually pointing at the ground. His right foot pivots up off the ground and helps propel his right side forward.  By the end of the throw his right side is high, his left has dipped away toward the ground and he's almost stumble stepping forward. 

Been a long time since I analyzed QB mechanics from anywhere but my office while I pretended to work, but that's -- at least to me -- classic shot put motion.   It's not "cock and release" with wrist and follow through it's more "heave and follow" using a lot of the shoulder. 

If he were unleashing a 50-yard bomb I could see maybe having to summon that kind of bring the nuts heave, but he's hitting a guy 10-15 yards laterally.   Should be able to do that without flinging his body toward the target.  I don't want to see him do a shitty Moseley "angel wing" skip where he opens his entire body up like he's leaping off a cliff and then lobs the ball while falling backward, but that's a lot of oomph for a little throw. 

FWIW (clearly nothing)  I also thought Pike's fluidity made Clint look like the tinman from Oz.  His footwork and comfort in his own skin was 10x better than Clint (in that video).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions