Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tri States BBQ Cook Off

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Tri States BBQ Cook Off
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »
And, you never have that know-better-than-everyone-else attitude, Boss.  Who the fuck do you think you're fooling?
I didn't decide that, Boss, just poking back at ya...  I grill often, usually everyday when I'm not traveling, and I always go for the nicer cuts of meat.  Aged beef whenever possible...  Usually around 2 inches thick...  Capital Grill, Mortons, Palm, Sparks, et al really don't have much on me. 
I actually have one of those Weber Kettles at home.  I just haven't used it in years.  My last gas grill worked pretty well.  It was a higher end Weber Genesis.  It seared meat very well.  I could get it up to 500+ degrees in just a few minutes.  Worked great...  I'm using an Ultra Chef now.  It's supposed to be higher end than the Weber, but it takes a while to get to those 500+ degree temperatures.  I don't normally have flame-up issues, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I usually get my sausage from the meat department or an actual butcher.

Can I ask what the fuck you are "grilling" or "bbq'ing"at 500 degrees? I know I do the occasional searing but shit, not often. That's what an infrared burner is for. I wouldn't buy my whole grill around the basis of how fast it gets to 500 degrees. I, and I know a lot of the guys on here (AUT1, Snag and JR to name a few) as well, tend to like the lower temp slow cooking especially with pork, so I chose/choose what grill I buy based off that. Although those Infrared Sear burners look nice, I just wouldn't use it much. I admit I use gas a lot just due to time constraints since there is extra prep in using charcoal or wood. I prefer wood over them all, just a personal preference. Hickory and Pecan are my favorite just due to the flavor and temp/burn time. And also since I have it readily available, having both on my property in big amounts. Mesquite is ok with chicken but it always burns a little hot for me. Oak, like Hickory, is just a good staple wood to have for bbqing.

AUT1 - what do you use at the competitions mainly? I would guess most of the teams around this area (Bama, GA) use Oak due to its abundance and versatility. I heard Myron mention how much he likes it one time. It's probably the one Ive used the least of the 3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
AUT1 - what do you use at the competitions mainly? I would guess most of the teams around this area (Bama, GA) use Oak due to its abundance and versatility. I heard Myron mention how much he likes it one time. It's probably the one Ive used the least of the 3.

Hickory, pecan and apple wood.  Myron may like oak, but he uses the shit out of some peach wood.   For competitions I keep it simple when it comes to wood choices.  Chicken gets 25% hickory and 75% apple.  Ribs get 50% each of apple and hickory.  Pork Butt/Shoulder (when we get to cook it) gets 50% hickory and 50% pecan.  It may not be the best combos, but we have won money using it and have got some pretty plaques and trophies for it.

Our setup is like this to an extent
  using lump charcoal as the base.  I usually like to take a Sanka can place in the center and build my base coals around it.  Pack them in real tight.  Then I use a little Stubbs charcoal in a chimney starter and when they are grey I will pour them in the coffee can, remove the can with some pliers and let the coals gently collapse around them.   It will burn from the center out and I can get 10 to 12 hours of burn time at 220-240 temp range without having to refuel. Then I throw the wood to it.  I use a lot more wood that in that picture.  Unless I am smoking chicken, then I would use close to that same amount and place it close to the hot coals in the center.

I have one of each of these

so I am limited to what I can do with wood.  I have to bust it up into chunks.  Now on my old chargriller outlaw I could use some decent sized wood, but it took a while to get it going to the point it wouldn't flame up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
And, you never have that know-better-than-everyone-else attitude, Boss.  Who the fuck do you think you're fooling?
I didn't decide that, Boss, just poking back at ya...  I grill often, usually everyday when I'm not traveling, and I always go for the nicer cuts of meat.  Aged beef whenever possible...  Usually around 2 inches thick...  Capital Grill, Mortons, Palm, Sparks, et al really don't have much on me. 
I actually have one of those Weber Kettles at home.  I just haven't used it in years.  My last gas grill worked pretty well.  It was a higher end Weber Genesis.  It seared meat very well.  I could get it up to 500+ degrees in just a few minutes.  Worked great...  I'm using an Ultra Chef now.  It's supposed to be higher end than the Weber, but it takes a while to get to those 500+ degree temperatures.  I don't normally have flame-up issues, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I usually get my sausage from the meat department or an actual butcher.

You sure don't like being talked to the way you always talk to folks.  Lighten up Francis. 

Charcoal is better.  You can admit it.  Gas is good enough.  And for convenience sake, I'd use it, if I had it, but last gasser gave up the ghost a few years ago, and I just didn't want to spend the money required to get a good one since it's only me that I cook for most of the time.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
Hickory, pecan and apple wood.  Myron may like oak, but he uses the shit out of some peach wood.   For competitions I keep it simple when it comes to wood choices.  Chicken gets 25% hickory and 75% apple.  Ribs get 50% each of apple and hickory.  Pork Butt/Shoulder (when we get to cook it) gets 50% hickory and 50% pecan.  It may not be the best combos, but we have won money using it and have got some pretty plaques and trophies for it.

Our setup is like this to an extent
  using lump charcoal as the base.  I usually like to take a Sanka can place in the center and build my base coals around it.  Pack them in real tight.  Then I use a little Stubbs charcoal in a chimney starter and when they are grey I will pour them in the coffee can, remove the can with some pliers and let the coals gently collapse around them.   It will burn from the center out and I can get 10 to 12 hours of burn time at 220-240 temp range without having to refuel. Then I throw the wood to it.  I use a lot more wood that in that picture.  Unless I am smoking chicken, then I would use close to that same amount and place it close to the hot coals in the center.

I have one of each of these

so I am limited to what I can do with wood.  I have to bust it up into chunks.  Now on my old chargriller outlaw I could use some decent sized wood, but it took a while to get it going to the point it wouldn't flame up.

I like the pork combos. Something about pork and hickory just work well together. Add in some of the other for flavor and I can see that being a good combo. I use Pecan like no one's business (mainly because I have a pecan orchard), and found out that it provides a great taste. Hickory is def more subtle but it cooks the meat perfectly at lower temps. I will try the apple/hickory combo next time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
You sure don't like being talked to the way you always talk to folks.  Lighten up Francis. 

Charcoal is better.  You can admit it.  Gas is good enough.  And for convenience sake, I'd use it, if I had it, but last gasser gave up the ghost a few years ago, and I just didn't want to spend the money required to get a good one since it's only me that I cook for most of the time.   

Maybe I'm just lazy, and I admit coals/wood are better - but I just don't seem to have the time to prep everytime I grill for use of coals and wood. I usually do it more on the weekends and/or when company is coming over. A Thursday night when I have about an hour total and I want to cook just fish or chicken? I will use gas more than likely. If I feel froggy I will take some water soaked hickory chips and put a few of them down there in a pan just for flavor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
Maybe I'm just lazy, and I admit coals/wood are better - but I just don't seem to have the time to prep everytime I grill for use of coals and wood. I usually do it more on the weekends and/or when company is coming over. A Thursday night when I have about an hour total and I want to cook just fish or chicken? I will use gas more than likely. If I feel froggy I will take some water soaked hickory chips and put a few of them down there in a pan just for flavor.

I agree.  I was poking at garman...he takes his self proclaimed Alpha status seriously, and doesn't like others joking about it. 

This thread got me to hit teh googles, and I found this http://www.smokenator.com/

http://www.smokenator.com/store/products.php?catID=1

...looks interesting, but not sure it beats the Weber indirect smoking accessories.

Gotta do some more research on it, but it initially looks good, and much cheaper than buying a Weber Smokey Mtn.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
I agree.  I was poking at garman...he takes his self proclaimed Alpha status seriously, and doesn't like others joking about it. 

This thread got me to hit teh googles, and I found this http://www.smokenator.com/

http://www.smokenator.com/store/products.php?catID=1

...looks interesting, but not sure it beats the Weber indirect smoking accessories.

Gotta do some more research on it, but it initially looks good, and much cheaper than buying a Weber Smokey Mtn.

I <3 my smokey mountains.  For the price it is great.  I have seen a homemade contraption of a smokenator that seemed to work pretty well.  Canjun Bandits make some sweet mods for both a kettle and a WSM.  I am not sure about their prices.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
I <3 my smokey mountains.  For the price it is great.  I have seen a homemade contraption of a smokenator that seemed to work pretty well.  Canjun Bandits make some sweet mods for both a kettle and a WSM.  I am not sure about their prices.

My brother has a Smokey Mtn.  They are the shizzle, no doubt.  I just can't justify it for smoking 3-4 times a year.   If I entertained more, like when I was married, I'd have one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
Can I ask what the fuck you are "grilling" or "bbq'ing"at 500 degrees? I know I do the occasional searing but shit, not often. That's what an infrared burner is for. I wouldn't buy my whole grill around the basis of how fast it gets to 500 degrees. I, and I know a lot of the guys on here (AUT1, Snag and JR to name a few) as well, tend to like the lower temp slow cooking especially with pork, so I chose/choose what grill I buy based off that. Although those Infrared Sear burners look nice, I just wouldn't use it much. I admit I use gas a lot just due to time constraints since there is extra prep in using charcoal or wood. I prefer wood over them all, just a personal preference. Hickory and Pecan are my favorite just due to the flavor and temp/burn time. And also since I have it readily available, having both on my property in big amounts. Mesquite is ok with chicken but it always burns a little hot for me. Oak, like Hickory, is just a good staple wood to have for bbqing.
Fair enough...  It's not that I'm actually grillinz or bbq-inz at a consistent 500 degrees.  It's more for the searing and caramelization process that occurs at the surface of the meat at higher temps.  The low and slow method makes sense for pork and poorer cuts of meats (no offense), but the higher quality slabs of beef would dry out and become flavorless following that process.  I normally start out at the 500+ degree temps to sear and caramelize dropping to 400-450 to finish the cooking process.  Keep in mind that most higher end steak houses use a Salamander style broiler that cooks at 1000+ degrees. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
Fair enough...  It's not that I'm actually grillinz or bbq-inz at a consistent 500 degrees.  It's more for the searing and caramelization process that occurs at the surface of the meat at higher temps.  The low and slow method makes sense for pork and poorer cuts of meats (no offense), but the higher quality slabs of beef would dry out and become flavorless following that process.  I normally start out at the 500+ degree temps to sear and caramelize dropping to 400-450 to finish the cooking process.  Keep in mind that most higher end steak houses use a Salamander style broiler that cooks at 1000+ degrees.

Charley's Steakhouse (Orlando) cooks over a wood fire pit at 1100 degrees.  I've not eaten at many high end steakhouses, Charley's...Shula's are all I can recall for now, but Charley's was the best steak I ever ate out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Oh Sweetheart...  I'm fine.  I can take it.  Of course, you never seem to recognize the tone of your own posts...  Boss.

Charcoal is better.  You can admit it.  Gas is good enough.  And for convenience sake, I'd use it, if I had it, but last gasser gave up the ghost a few years ago, and...
It really depends what you're doing.  My goal is to be able to perfectly cook that monster bone-in ribeye or filet every time, as well as occasional veal or mutton chops.  Of course... 

I just didn't want to spend the money required to get a good one since it's only me that I cook for most of the time.   
Hmmm....  I never would have thought that from all of those pleasantries and politeness in your messages.   :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
Charley's Steakhouse (Orlando) cooks over a wood fire pit at 1100 degrees.  I've not eaten at many high end steakhouses, Charley's...Shula's are all I can recall for now, but Charley's was the best steak I ever ate out.

Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo, CA cooks over an open pit with white oak as their heat source.  I don't know how hot it gets, but it's hot.  They make a delicious steak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
Yes sir...  Charley's has a Tampa location as well.  Nothing but goodness...  The Salt Rock Grill in St. Pete does the same thing.  Unbelievable...  Shula's is good, but I'd say that my own cooking ability has surpassed that place, at least for steaks.  It's been several years, but I'd say that my best steak was at Sparks in Manhattan, and I'm getting close to being able to cook that steak. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
Oh Sweetheart...  I'm fine.  I can take it.  Of course, you never seem to recognize the tone of your own posts...  Boss.
It really depends what you're doing.  My goal is to be able to perfectly cook that monster bone-in ribeye or filet every time, as well as occasional veal or mutton chops.  Of course... 
Hmmm....  I never would have thought that from all of those pleasantries and politeness in your messages.   :poke:

Hi there pot, I'm kettle, how are you?   :poke: back atcha.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
Yes sir...  Charley's has a Tampa location as well.  Nothing but goodness...  The Salt Rock Grill in St. Pete does the same thing.  Unbelievable...  Shula's is good, but I'd say that my own cooking ability has surpassed that place, at least for steaks.  It's been several years, but I'd say that my best steak was at Sparks in Manhattan, and I'm getting close to being able to cook that steak.

Seems like I've been to one or two other high end steakhouses, but can't recall them.  They must not have made much of an impression.  I was largely unimpressed with Shula's.  Not that it was bad, just left me thinking that for that much money, it should have been better, and that I can do just as good with a quality cut of dead cow. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Actually, that's where you have it wrong, but as long as your panties continued to bunch up, I'm having fun.  That's all that matters to me... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Hi there pot, I'm kettle, how are you?   :poke: back atcha. 
O'tay...  You say so, Boss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »

Sounds like you cook primarily steaks. Thats where the difference of need is coming in at. I don't eat that grainy bovine shit if I can help it.  :poke:

I keed, but seriously McGuire's had a good steak (Destin, FL) but since I am not much of a beef eater I couldn't really appreciate it. It seems to always get voted Florida's best steak or something along those lines.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
Sounds like you cook primarily steaks. Thats where the difference of need is coming in at. I don't eat that grainy bovine shit if I can help it.  :poke:

I keed, but seriously McGuire's had a good steak (Destin, FL) but since I am not much of a beef eater I couldn't really appreciate it. It seems to always get voted Florida's best steak or something along those lines.
Oh, I definitely prefer beef, lamb, beef and beef, and I also enjoy beef on occasion.  A typical evening grilling at Garman's will involve a lamb chop or sausage appetizer followed by a monster beef ribeye, strip or occasional baseball filet.  If you're expecting a salad, tater or other vegetable, you better bring it with you.  The closest I'll get to any of that will be smoking a cigar while grilling... 

I do grill other things.  A few weeks ago, we did swordfish steaks on the grill.  These things were over a pound each.  Damn impressive and very good...  I just used garlic and a bit of butter while grilling.  I'll do pork tenderloin sometimes as well... 

And, you're right.  I didn't purchase my grill to slow cook meats.  I'm prolly going to purchase a smoker this summer to experiment with that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Oh, I definitely prefer beef, lamb, beef and beef, and I also enjoy beef on occasion.  A typical evening grilling at Garman's will involve a lamb chop or sausage appetizer followed by a monster beef ribeye, strip or occasional baseball filet.  If you're expecting a salad, tater or other vegetable, you better bring it with you.  The closest I'll get to any of that will be smoking a cigar while grilling... 

I do grill other things.  A few weeks ago, we did swordfish steaks on the grill.  These things were over a pound each.  Damn impressive and very good...  I just used garlic and a bit of butter while grilling.  I'll do pork tenderloin sometimes as well... 

And, you're right.  I didn't purchase my grill to slow cook meats.  I'm prolly going to purchase a smoker this summer to experiment with that.

I want so bad to like lamb, but just haven't had any I like.  I've ordered it at some decent places, and just can't like it.  It looks so good, much like venison, which I love.  Any suggestions?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions