Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tri States BBQ Cook Off

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Tri States BBQ Cook Off
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
I want so bad to like lamb, but just haven't had any I like.  I've ordered it at some decent places, and just can't like it.  It looks so good, much like venison, which I love.  Any suggestions?

About the only meat products I won't eat are oysters, clams and snails.

One of my favorite grilling past times is cooking garlic butter/olive oil bay scallops wrapped in foil on the grill, on low heat. I actually threw some Hickory Conecuh on last night as well as some Tilapia. Very easy, both.

I love Veal and Lamb, both just pricey compared to regular beef and pork. Venison is good if you don't mind the gamey taste and it also depends on how you get it processed and what part of the deer it's from. I don't hunt anymore (not for whitetail) but plenty of friends still do so I get my fill of venison for free. Simp had a friend in Eufaula who makes teh Jalapeno Venison Sausage. It was on point no doubt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
I want so bad to like lamb, but just haven't had any I like.  I've ordered it at some decent places, and just can't like it.  It looks so good, much like venison, which I love.  Any suggestions?
I cook it like beef.  I find the taste extremely appetizing.  Usually, I'll season with garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt, and I'll grill it quick depending on the cut. 

I really like the little loin chops, the mini t-bone steaks, as well as the more traditional lamb chops.  You can have the lamb chops cut individually, but I prefer the double-cut.  Depending on the thickness, 5-6 minutes on each side should be good, although the thicker cut loin chops might need a little more time.  I stand them on their bone end and grill for another 5 minutes sometimes. 

If you're still trying to acquire the taste, I'd recommend sticking with the more traditional lamb chops at first, and use a little rosemary in your seasoning.  Try them individually cut, but be careful not to overcook them.  They should only take 3-4 minutes on each side. 

Lamb is best medium rare, although it's still quite tasty at medium temperature.  Eat it warm.  Don't let it sit out too long after cooking.  Any fat pooling on the meat or plate will start to thicken up as it cools, and that can be unappetizing to some. 

I've cooked entire racks of chops as well.  Don't jump into this until you've acquired a taste for it.  There's a bit of prep work as well as a few tricks to keep things from burning. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
Ok...  I'm not a fan of oysters, but clams and snails are fucking awesome when they're cooked properly.  You must have had some bad experiences or sumpin'. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

One of my favorite grilling past times is cooking garlic butter/olive oil bay scallops wrapped in foil on the grill, on low heat. I actually threw some Hickory Conecuh on last night as well as some Tilapia. Very easy, both.

I love Veal and Lamb, both just pricey compared to regular beef and pork. Venison is good if you don't mind the gamey taste and it also depends on how you get it processed and what part of the deer it's from. I don't hunt anymore (not for whitetail) but plenty of friends still do so I get my fill of venison for free. Simp had a friend in Eufaula who makes teh Jalapeno Venison Sausage. It was on point no doubt.

Love oysters (raw, fried, grilled, Rockefeller...anyway); Love fried clams...don't know if I've had them any other way, and loved snails the couple of times I've ordered them. 

One meat I've had to acquire a a taste for is salmon.  I actually like it raw best, but have gradually learned to like it other ways.  Hat tip to the waiter as Surin 280 for convincing me to try it sashimi.   

Don't get venison much these days...really only want the tenderloin and backstrap, but will take bami-burger too.  Like the tenderloin fried or grilled, and the backstrap grilled.  Never knew what "gamey" taste meant.   It's not beef.  That said, if I had to call something "gamey" tasting, it would be lamb.  It's very strong to me.  I just got back from Pube Licks...14-17 bucks a pound dissuaded me from starting my lamb taste acquisition experiment.

Garman, the rib chops looked most appetizing to me.   Is that a good cut to grill?  Do you use a marinade of any kind?   How do you use the Rosemary?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
Garman, the rib chops looked most appetizing to me.   Is that a good cut to grill?  Do you use a marinade of any kind?   How do you use the Rosemary?
Yeah...  The rib chop is what I referenced as the more traditional lamb chops.  Sometimes, they call them lollipops...  I don't marinade them.  I just sprinkle the dry ingredients directly onto the chops, even the rosemary.  I'll let it sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes before grillin'.  The salt will pull some moisture out of the meat which will then join with the onion powder, garlic powder, salt and rosemary to form a sort of paste.  Then, I grill 'em, let 'em cool for just a few minutes and eat 'em. 

I know they cost a bit, typically $15-18 per pound at PubeLicks, but they're damn good.  Sometimes, they'll go on sale for $10-12 per pound.  Sometimes, they'll sell the entire rack for a bit less.  I've purchased that a few times and did my own butchering to trim some of the fat and cut them up into double-cut portions. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »
Ok...  I'm not a fan of oysters, but clams and snails are fucking awesome when they're cooked properly.  You must have had some bad experiences or sumpin'.

Or maybe I just don't like them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Or maybe I just don't like them.

Unless you do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
not liking oysters is saying you don't like eating pussy. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
not liking oysters is saying you don't like eating pussy.

Yeah not eating raw bottom feeders that have the texture of snot is exactly the same thing. Got me there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
Yeah not eating raw bottom feeders that have the texture of snot is exactly the same thing. Got me there.

They are not bottom feeders, they're filter feeders.  They feed primarily on plankton, but also eat other organic matter in the pelagic zone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
They are not bottom feeders, they're filter feeders.  They feed primarily on plankton, but also eat other organic matter in the pelagic zone.

you. are. fucking. annoying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
you. are. fucking. annoying.
The period after each word...means jack shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »

For beginner lamb eaters, I always offer a braised shank.  The meat is crazy tender, moist and delicious. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-lamb-shanks-recipe/index.html

My modifications to the recipe: I don't process the veggies (I prefer them much chunkier, so I hand chop), I don't use water for braising liquid (buy some stock...or make it if you're super fancy), and I don't bother with the gremolata.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
For beginner lamb eaters, I always offer a braised shank.  The meat is crazy tender, moist and delicious. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-lamb-shanks-recipe/index.html

My modifications to the recipe: I don't process the veggies (I prefer them much chunkier, so I hand chop), I don't use water for braising liquid (buy some stock...or make it if you're super fancy), and I don't bother with the gremolata.

That sounds good too.  Thanks.  Lamb, lamb recipes have always looked and sounded good, but the taste is very strong to me.   Maybe I've not had it cooked right, or maybe like GH and oysters, I simply don't like it.  I am going to try it again.  Many things I haven't liked in the past, I've developed a taste for later. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:24:21 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

They live on the ocean floor, attached actually. The ocean floor was the bottom last time I checked. That's also where they feed. So.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
They live on the ocean floor, attached actually. The ocean floor was the bottom last time I checked. That's also where they feed. So.......

Not arguing that you should like them.  I get the texture issues.  Was just being annoying. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
Not arguing that you should like them.  I get the texture issues.  Was just being annoying.

Yeah, that was kind of the real point. I never really thought of comparing eating pussy to eating a snot textured bottom feeder raw, other than they are both raw. I just hope the snatch that nookie is munching on doesnt resemble a raw oyster, in smell or texture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
Yeah, that was kind of the real point. I never really thought of comparing eating pussy to eating a snot textured bottom feeder raw, other than they are both raw. I just hope the snatch that nookie is munching on doesnt resemble a raw oyster, in smell or texture.

Guys that tell you they won't eat pussy because it's nasty, slimy, and stinky...they got issues with the wimmenz they choose to bed down. 

BTdub, a fresh raw oyster, like any other fresh fish, shouldn't smell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »

never compared the two...just sayin'... just one of many things that life shouldn't be without. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions