Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Defense has its say as Auburn quarterbacks continue race to spring finish

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
AUBURN, Alabama -- Injured Clint Moseley was allowed to throw passes and Kiehl Frazier said he felt more comfortable in a new offense. But it wasn't all fun and games for Auburn's quarterbacks in Saturday's scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

The defense made sure of that. 

"Ball disruptions and takeaways were much improved, which means they're playing faster. The bottom line, they're more confident," said defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder. 

It was just the 10th time the Tigers had ever practiced with VanGorder calling the shots on defense and Scot Loeffler calling the plays on offense. There seemed to be enough positives on both sides for Auburn's two new coordinators to build on. 

The scrimmage was closed to the public and media, and Auburn did not provide statistics. But a series of interviews revealed that Moseley and Zeke Pike threw touchdown passes, and Frazier seemed to be in command when it was his turn. Tailback Corey Grant followed up a solid scrimmage the week before with a touchdown run Saturday. 

Coach Gene Chizik said the Tigers ran 90-100 plays in the scrimmage on the way to next Saturday's A-Day Game. The defense, which was told not to go full bore at the quarterbacks in the first scrimmage, were turned loose Saturday. 

"The rules of engagement were different," VanGorder said. 

Moseley has been limited much of the spring because of a sore rotator cuff, so much so he was held out of the previous scrimmage. He was allowed to throw Saturday, although he smiled away a question on whether he's still limited. 

"Yes sir. No sir. I don't really think on my reps. Next question," he said. 

Moseley said he's mixing passing with rehabbing his shoulder. 

"I've got to limit the amount I do, so it gets tired quicker," he said. 

Loeffler put a more optimistic spin on Moseley's day. 

"He was able to do everything," Loeffler said. "He's back in full, which is good for the next four days." 

That takes Auburn to the A-Day game, and the Tigers will wrap up spring practice two days after that. Coaches have said the race for the starting quarterback's job is likely not to end there. 

Moseley is the most experienced of the three quarterbacks after starting the final six games last year. But Frazier has had a chance to shine this spring while Moseley has nursed his sore shoulder. 

Loeffler said the injury hasn't put Moseley behind, but Moseley said he figures he has some catching up to do. 

"There's nothing better than getting physical reps," he said. "I can stand out there and get mental reps, and I can write out backwards and forwards of plays and why we're running it, but until you're out there running it, it's different. 

"But it's spring. We're just trying to learn the plays. We haven't installed all the plays. I think I have time to make it up." 

Frazier was the designated running quarterback for former offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn but is being allowed to do much more with Loeffler. 

"I don't think I can say how much better I am, but I'm definitely a lot more comfortable knowing the system and the reads and the checks we do," Frazier said. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."