Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Women's BB coach hired

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Women's BB coach hired
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »
TERRI WILLIAMS-FLOURNOY NAMED WOMEN’S BASKETBALL COACH AT AUBURN

AUBURN—Terri Williams-Flournoy, who spent the previous eight season as the head coach at Georgetown, has been named the women’s head basketball coach at Auburn, announced Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs Monday. Williams-Flournoy, who led the Hoyas to three-consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 2010-12, becomes the sixth head coach in Auburn’s history. Williams-Flournoy will be formally introduced as Auburn’s head coach on Tuesday.

A 20-year coaching veteran, Williams-Flournoy led Georgetown to a four-year run from 2008-12, that was the most successful period in the program’s history, while posting an overall mark of 143-104 during her eight-year tenure.  In the last four seasons, the Hoyas were 93-41, advanced to the NCAA tournament in 2010, ’11, and ’12, while making a Sweet 16 appearance in 2011. They were WNIT quarterfinalist in 2009.

“We are thrilled to welcome Terri Williams-Flourney into the Auburn Family,” Jacobs said. “Coach Williams-Flourney has achieved success at every level of her basketball career as a player, assistant and head coach. She has an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this conference and brings a tremendous desire to win championships at Auburn. We welcome Terri, her husband Eric and two children to the Auburn family.”

In 2011-12, Williams-Flournoy’s Hoyas advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament and finished with a 23-9 record, while finishing fourth in the Big EAST. Georgetown defeated two top-ten teams, beating No. 10 Georgia and No. 7 Miami, finished the regular season ranked 17th nationally. This season the Hoyas entered NCAA Tournament play ranked sixth nationally in field goal percentage defense and eighth in the country in scoring defense. Junior Sugar Rodgers was a unanimous first-team All-Big EAST selection and was an honorable mention all-America.

“I am extremely excited for the opportunity to lead the women’s basketball program at Auburn,” Williams-Flournoy said. “I’m very appreciative to President Jay Gogue, Jay Jacobs and Meredith Jenkins for giving me the chance to guide this team and I am looking forward to joining the Auburn family.”

Williams-Flournoy helped Georgetown return to the Sweet 16 in 2010-11 posting an overall record of 24-11 and a mark of 9-7 in the BIG EAST. The Hoyas defeated five ranked teams, including Tennessee, and were ranked in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Polls for the entire year, at one point reaching No. 11 on the AP Poll and No. 12 on the ESPN/USA Today Poll. Georgetown finished the season with an RPI of 12, as well as being ranked 23rd and 14th on the AP and the ESPN/USA Today Polls, respectively.

The Hoyas tied for seventh in league play and earned their second-consecutive berth in the NCAA Tournament where the Hoyas advanced to the Sweet 16 for the second time in program history. Georgetown fell in the Round of 16 to Connecticut, 68-63, despite leading almost the entire game.

During the summer of 2011, Williams-Flournoy was named an assistant coach for Team USA for the World University Games in Shenzhen, China. The team won a gold medal in competition.

In 2009-10, she led the squad to a 26-7 overall record and finished second in BIG EAST conference play with a 13-3 mark. Georgetown posted a 16-game win streak during the season and spent 12 weeks in the national rankings. The Hoyas earned the program's second bid to the NCAA Tournament, advancing to the second round.

The Hoyas led the nation in turnover margin (+8.12) in 2009-10 with a fast-paced tempo and also ranked third in steals per game (12.9). Individual honors followed with two players earning All-BIG EAST, a BIG EAST Rookie of the Year and an Honorable Mention All-America award. Williams-Flournoy was also named the Coach of the Year by the Black Coaches Association.

The previous season, Williams-Flournoy led the Hoyas to a 20-14 overall record, the program's first 20-win season since 1992-93. The Hoyas had an impressive run through the WNIT advancing to the quarterfinals and going further than any team had advanced in postseason play in the program's history.

Williams-Flournoy took over the Georgetown program on Aug. 27, 2004, becoming just the sixth women's basketball head coach in school history.

Williams-Flournoy put together a 12-year record of success as an assistant coach at Georgetown (1992-96), Georgia (1996-2002) and Southwest Missouri State (2002-04) posting a record of 251-116. She has been a part of three teams that have made 12 NCAA Tournament appearances including, five that advanced to the Sweet 16 or beyond. She was part of a Georgia program that advanced to the 1999 Final Four (1999) and Elite Eight in 1997 and 2000.

During her two seasons at Southwest Missouri State (now Missouri State), Williams-Flournoy was a part of two-straight NCAA Tournaments and two-consecutive Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championships. The 2003-04 team finished the season with a 28-4 record and won the regular-season MVC Championship.

At Georgia, Williams-Flournoy was recruiting coordinator for the program during a time when Georgia made six-straight NCAA Tournament appearances. During Williams-Flournoy's tenure, the Bulldogs won Southeastern Conference titles in 1997 and 2000, the SEC tournament in 2001 and produced seven WNBA players.

Williams-Flournoy's four-year stint at Georgetown as an assistant saw the Hoyas achieve great success in her first season (1992-93), as Georgetown earned a BIG EAST Championship and its first-ever bid to the NCAA Tournament, finishing the year with a 23-7 overall mark, advancing to the Sweet 16. Williams-Flournoy was responsible for all aspects of recruiting and scouting along with conditioning, game planning and academic monitoring.

A 1991 graduate of Penn State University with a degree in business management, Williams-Flournoy was a four-year letterwinner player for the Lady Lions under former coach Rene Portland. Penn State won the Atlantic 10 Conference championship in each of Williams-Flournoy's last two seasons as a player and was a participant in the NCAA Tournament in three of Williams-Flournoy's four seasons. In 1988, 1990 and 1991 Williams-Flournoy and the Lady Lions advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament and in 1991, Penn State was ranked No. 1 in the country.

Williams-Flournoy, sister of basketball guru Boo Williams of Hampton, Va., and her husband, Eric, have a daughter, Maya, 11, and a son, Eric, Jr., 8.

Williams-Flournoy Year-By-Year

Head Coach

Year               School                              Record      Postseason

2011-12         Georgetown                           23-9      NCAA Second Round

2010-11         Georgetown                         24-11      NCAA Sweet 16

2009-10         Georgetown                           26-7      NCAA Second Round

2008-09         Georgetown                         20-14      WNIT Quarterfinals

2007-08         Georgetown                         15-14

2006-07         Georgetown                         13-16

2005-06         Georgetown                         10-17

2004-05         Georgetown                         12-16

Total              (Eight seasons)             143-104

Assistant Coach

Year               School                              Record      Postseason

2003-04         SW Missouri State                28-4      NCAA First Round

Missouri Valley Tournament Champs

Missouri Valley Champions

2002-03         SW Missouri State              18-13      NCAA First Round

Missouri Valley Tournament Champs

2001-02         Georgia                                 19-11      NCAA First Round

2000-01         Georgia                                   27-6      NCAA Second Round

SEC Tournament Champs

1999-00         Georgia                                   32-4      NCAA Elite Eight

SEC Champions

1998-99         Georgia                                   27-7      NCAA Final Four

1997-98         Georgia                                 17-11      NCAA First Round

1996-97         Georgia                                   25-6      NCAA Elite Eight

SEC Champions

1995-96         Georgetown                          2-15

1994-95         Georgetown                           1-17

1993-94         Georgetown                         12-15

1992-93         Georgetown                          23-7      NCAA Sweet 16

Big EAST Champions

Total              (12 seasons)                 251-116

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Women's BB coach hired
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
Sounds like a pretty decent hire. She did quite a turnaround job at Georgetown.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
We have a women's basketball team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
I'm so very very happy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
We have a women's basketball team?

We actually have a pretty decent program Snags. It would be sad to let it waste away. Our gals actually were in the National Championship game 3 years in a row in the late 80's/early 90's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
We actually have a pretty decent program Snags. It would be sad to let it waste away. Our gals actually were in the National Championship game 3 years in a row in the late 80's/early 90's.

Yeah but.....it's women's basketball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

noxin

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
Yeah but.....it's women's basketball.

Something about the combination of women and balls gets this one a little testy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »

You said testy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

Its a sensitive subject for Snaggle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Its a sensitive subject for Snaggle.

Yes, testes are a very sensitive subject for him....and many others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
Yes, testes are a very sensitive subject for him....and many others.

Especially when a woman has a real wide foot and can get both of them with one kick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
Especially when a woman has a real wide foot and can get both of them with one kick.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin