Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn Recruiting getting some love from ESPN

Ogre

Auburn Recruiting getting some love from ESPN
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Do the link.

Franklin Looking For Parts To Revive Tigers' Offense
By Billy Tucker, Scouts Inc.

Offensive coordinator Tony Franklin was hired last December to improve and revive an Auburn offense statistically ranked toward the bottom nationally in 2007. Since his arrival the former Troy offensive coordinator with a reputation as spread offense guru has presumably spent a lot his time acclimating the Auburn staff and current roster to his high-tempo version of the system.
This past week, Franklin put all his emphasis on evaluating future Auburn receivers at its rising senior camp with the skills needed to run it.

The Tigers were already off to a fast start in 2009, landing system-fitting skill players with the sought-after attributes needed to create mismatches in space for Franklin's wide-open scheme. ESPN 150 Watch List receiver Brandon Heavens (Bessemer, Ala.), running back Rodney Scott (Cross City, Fla./Dixie County) and even pass-catching tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen (Marietta, Ga./Lassiter) all possess the physical skills in the spread to cause potential headaches for SEC defensive coordinators.

Following an impressive turnout and standout performances at the two-day camp, the offensive firepower continued; Auburn received commitments from two more ESPN 150 Watch List receivers, Travante Stallworth (Leesville, La.) and LaVoyd James (Mobile, Ala./Williamson). Versatile athlete LaDarius Perkins (Greenville, Miss./Saint Joseph), who also projects to be a future weapon on the offensive side of the ball for the Tigers, pledged to the Auburn coaching staff proceeding this past weekend's camp.

Interestingly, all three prospects came into the camp without a firm scholarship offer from Auburn or even steady recruitment from Franklin himself. Yet, it sounds like the Tigers' OC was the main evaluator and final decision-maker last weekend in The Plains.

"I attended their two day senior camp and got offered at the end," Stallworth said. "I didn't talk to Coach Franklin a lot, but he actually was the one who timed me in my 40s, and I ran routes for him during the camp."

A current quarterback in a similar fast-paced, no-huddle offense, Stallworth projects to play receiver and possesses great quickness needed to make defenders miss in space and the required downfield speed to help create mismatches for underneath receivers.

"Coach Franklin had me take reps at both receiver spots, and I think he likes my versatility to play inside or out," Stallworth said. "The Auburn coaches like my speed to stretch the field and open things up in this new offense."

One of the players Stallworth will be creating space for underneath is James, an explosive receiver with excellent movement skills in the open field as well as elite top-end speed. Like his future classmate, James also acknowledged Franklin did not get intimately involved in his recruitment prior to the camp last weekend but quickly put him under a microscope upon his arrival.

"Coach Franklin came over and timed my 40 and told me to run certain routes during one-on-one drills," the big-play receiver said.

Although the two receiver prospects are not exactly steals for Auburn -- James committed to Auburn over offers from just Ole Miss and Mississippi State and Tulsa was the only other Division 1 program to offer Stallworth -- both are excellent "space" players and perfect fits for this new open offense. Tommy Tuberville and his Auburn staff have done a great job discovering and developing under-the-radar prospects over the years; the addition of Franklin, with his sharp eye and reputation, should only help find and attract more.

"I watched Auburn beat Clemson in its bowl game [Chick-fil-A Bowl] last year and liked Coach Franklin's offense," Stallworth said. "They ran like 90 plays that game, and similar to our high school offense, Coach Franklin tries to wear down a defense and get them tired."

James shared similar sentiments.

"I watched their bowl game and think I fit well with that offense," James said. "They use four wide receivers, and I just think I can catch a lot of balls in that offense."

If Auburn can keep luring playmaking weapons to The Plains, expect that stagnant Tigers offense to start lighting up the scoreboard in "The Jungle."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Auburn Recruiting getting some love from ESPN
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »