Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

3/23/2012

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
3/23/2012
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
The start of of Spring Drills is just around the corner. I'm excited to see what the outcome is as far as players and positions. I'm thinking I will make it to A-Day this year for the festivities.

Here is a little coach speak from the new Auburn OC.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-02-19/auburns-scott-loeffler-still-matching-personnel-with-offensive-system
Auburn's Scott Loeffler still matching personnel with offensive system
PUBLISHED Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm EST
 Staff report
 Sporting News

Auburn’s offense ranked 100th nationally in total offense last year with 337.9 yards per game. The Tigers’ rushing offense was the 32nd-best, while their passing attack ranked 105th.

Throw in a No. 70 ranking in scoring offense and you have yourself a full-blown offensive crisis.

Scott Loeffler is Auburn's new offensive coordinator. (AP Photo)New offensive coordinator Scott Loeffler is in the process of watching film and evaluation his players to which parts of the West Coast offense he will implement, the Birmingham News reported.

“At the end of the day, everyone’s doing the same in the throw game, everyone’s doing the same with protections, it’s all verbiage, it's all terminology,” Loeffler said. “And everyone’s changing. You go down and visit the true, so-called West Coast people, and it's changed. It's completely evolving.”

Loeffler has about a month to figure it out. Auburn, which finished 8-5 last season, begins spring practice March 21.

He told The News that to determine how his offense will run, he will first evaluate the Tigers’ offensive line and quarterbacks. Clint Moseley, Kiehl Frazier and Zeke Pike, who enrolled in January out of high school, will compete for the starting QB job. Moseley took over for Barrett Trotter last season and Frazier saw plenty of time as a freshman, although he spent little time passing the ball.

“It’s always fun whenever you take a young guy and see where you can take him in a short period of time,” Loeffler told The News. “I want to get going right now with that. I wish that it was different, where you could do it right now, but unfortunately we have to wait for, what, another month for when spring ball begins.

“I know it’s a position that usually doesn't happen overnight. It’s not something you click your heels twice and it’s where you want it to be, so I can’t give you a timetable. It’s the same way in recruiting: You can never promise a kid he’ll be playing in this time frame because you never know. It’s a developmental process.”

While the passing game may be undecided, Loeffler did say he knew one thing his offense would do—run the ball. Despite the departure of two-time 1,000-yard rusher Michael Dyer, who transferred to Arkansas State, the Tigers return speedster Onterio McCalebb and Tre Mason and Corey Grant and Mike Blakely are both eligible after sitting out last season per transfer rules.

“Like we said at the beginning, this isn’t my offense. This is going to be our staff’s offense and Auburn’s offense,” Loeffler said. “Everyone’s going to have input and we’re going to develop this thing to do what's best for our football team.”
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:56:37 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: 3/21/2012
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Who besides Zeke is enrolling early?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
Who besides Zeke is enrolling early?

Off the top of my head, I don't know but it seemed like there was one or two others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
“At the end of the day, everyone’s doing the same in the throw game, everyone’s doing the same with protections, it’s all verbiage, it's all terminology,” Loeffler said. “And everyone’s changing. You go down and visit the true, so-called West Coast people, and it's changed. It's completely evolving.”

Huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Huh?

Translation:
Quick fucking asking me the same damn questions over and over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:06 PM »
I'm guessing the question was along the lines of "What type of offense are you gonna run?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
I'm guessing the question was along the lines of "What type of offense are you gonna run?"

I do believe so. Apparently the guy likes the West Coast type and the media is trying to make it seem to be a difficult transition from the Malzahn offense. Not sure I agree with that but I'm not the local offensive guru. That would be JR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
I do believe so. Apparently the guy likes the West Coast type and the media is trying to make it seem to be a difficult transition from the Malzahn offense. Not sure I agree with that but I'm not the local offensive guru. That would be JR.

This is the first I've heard West Coast offense and Loeffler together, but the words came out of his mouth, so I guess that what he's working on installing.  The thing is, the WCO really has no identity anymore.  It's what everybody in the NFL runs, and they all run the same stuff.  Some use more gun, while others more under center. 

I heard Malzahn speak a couple of weeks ago, as well as his RB coach (who was Grime's GA last year).  I also talked to both of them.  Everyone with me came away with the impression that he'd been handcuffed by Chizik this past season.  That when things went bad, he made Malzahn do things that were not within his philosophy.  Chiz, I suspect, is like all defensive coaches.  Conservative.  When he realized that were weren't going to have a prolific offense, he wanted to help the defense by speeding the games up.  Gus has a very specific formula for play calling, and I think he was told to alter that. 

My gut feeling is this (and it's just my opinion, nothing more):  I think the reason the OC search took so long is that Chiz may have been interviewing people and giving them the impression he wanted them to alter their philosophy to suit a more defensive minded overall plan. (if that's the case, then I give him credit for being honest with them, and more importantly for the ones that said no thanks, which Tony Franklin should have done when Tubs asked him to come in and alter what he does)  I think Chiz was ok with Gus in 09 to start to rebuild (off the excitement of a prolific offense), and in 10 because the offense could score at will, but I think Chiz has an overall plan to get back to grind it out, defense, field position football.   I think Chiz is sort of dictating that Loeffler "create an offense" that fits the overall team philosophy, not Loeffler's, which frankly is probably still forming.  Good move?  If it works, yeah.  If not?  Well we all know how that goes.   Bottom line, it will come down more to players, not scheme.  The one caveat to that is that you can create a scheme that is either nonsensical, grabbag, or try to do more than you can get good at in the practice time you have.   I think Loeffler is a bright guy, and I guess he took the job being a team player, so I guess his attitude will be right.  We'll have to see.  We still need to find a QB, or Loeffler needs to break out that magic wand so many fans think coaches have and wave it over one of them and "create" one.

That's why you see the recruitment of all the big OL, and TEs.  Jovon Robinson is a true big back, and I've heard some that are close to him say he was underrated and will be a nice surprise at Auburn.   I think Chiz looks to the West and sees a very simple offense based in Zone Running, and play action, "pro style", and instead of trying to do something unique, he's going to take them on head on. 

The WCO, at it's core, is just a 2 back offense that runs to set up play action passing.  Walsh believed play action passing was an offenses greatest weapon when properly set up with the run.  Call it the WCO, or the Gulf Coast offense, a la Borges, or whatever.  More TE, more FB, and power running.  The "Pro Style" so many here have pined for.  Unless it's not.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
I just want an offense that scores more points then the opposing team and a defense that stops the opposing team from scoring those points.  Is that so hard?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
I just want an offense that scores more points then the opposing team and a defense that stops the opposing team from scoring those points.  Is that so hard?

That's all I want too, and I don't care if we do it running an offense with or without a name. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
That's all I want too, and I don't care if we do it running an offense with or without a name. 
I want...
The quarterback. Two receivers lined up to the left, one to the right.

There's a flanker lined up to the left behind the quarterback.

He gives the ball...No, he doesn't get the ball.

The receiver goes all the way over there to the left. 

Once the quarterback has the ball, he fakes to the left. No. He fakes to the right.

He doesn't fake. He thinks about faking.  He pretends to fake.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:20:25 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Gatorade not only quenches your thirst better, it tastes better too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Gatorade not only quenches your thirst better, it tastes better too.

Water sucks!  Water sucks!  It really, really sucks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
My gut feeling is this (and it's just my opinion, nothing more):  I think the reason the OC search took so long is that Chiz may have been interviewing people and giving them the impression he wanted them to alter their philosophy to suit a more defensive minded overall plan. (if that's the case, then I give him credit for being honest with them, and more importantly for the ones that said no thanks, which Tony Franklin should have done when Tubs asked him to come in and alter what he does)  I think Chiz was ok with Gus in 09 to start to rebuild (off the excitement of a prolific offense), and in 10 because the offense could score at will, but I think Chiz has an overall plan to get back to grind it out, defense, field position football. 

That's why you see the recruitment of all the big OL, and TEs.  Jovon Robinson is a true big back, and I've heard some that are close to him say he was underrated and will be a nice surprise at Auburn.  .   

I think the above parts you wrote are true and supported by the FB transfer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
Water sucks!  Water sucks!  It really, really sucks!

You can do it. Cut his fucking head off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

True that. I think many people got a pretty good feeling about the direction of the offense once this bruiser transfered to Auburn. I think its still unclear if he will get that medical hardship request though. Most think he will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

I think the FB transfer was just lucky (for AU).  Not like we recruited him.  But even in Malzahn's offense, we were short a guy like Eric Smith, and he could have been used.  Don't think they'd have turned him away.

That, and these guys the last 2 years:

81   C.J. Uzomah   ATH   Fr.   HS   6-4/236

11   Brandon Fulse   TE   Fr.   HS   6-4/238

Darrion Hutcherson TE 6'7" 247

Ricky Parks TE 6'3" 230

Think Gronkowsky and Hernandez with the Pats.  6-4+, 230-250lb guys that can run and catch create serious match up problems. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:08:37 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »
I think the FB transfer was just lucky (for AU).  Not like we recruited him.  But even in Malzahn's offense, we were short a guy like Eric Smith, and he could have been used.  Don't think they'd have turned him away.

Ricky Parks TE 6'3" 230

Think Gronkowsky and Hernandez with the Pats.  6-4+, 230-250lb guys that can run and catch create serious match up problems.

I can go with that. There is talent, may be young, but there is some good talent on the Auburn offense that I think Loeffler can make some music with. Like you said though, the real question is where we will be at with the QB situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

Ricky Parks TE 6'3" 230

He wouldn't have came here if he didn't think he had a chance to be utilized. That tells me something about what we're going to run.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
He wouldn't have came here if he didn't think he had a chance to be utilized. That tells me something about what we're going to run.

Its like reading in b/w the lines. Sometimes this works and this is a good example.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions