Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Yeah! Where Was Auburn to Save Philon?

Yeah! Where Was Auburn to Save Philon?
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
http://arkansas.247sec.com/2012/02/03/the-curious-journey-of-signee-darius-philon/

At first glance, Arkansas’ signing of Darius Philon on Wednesday seemed like a major coup.

For the Razorbacks to get a quality defensive tackle that was committed first to Auburn, then to Alabama, is indeed something that doesn’t happen every year. At least for the Hogs under Bobby Petrino’s scheme of recruiting, which has raised eyebrows for three years or so now due to, well, the lack of star power.

With all of the rumors and speculation flying out of Mobile, Ala., concerning Philon’s often confusing and trouble signing day Wednesday, you wonder who knows more. It’s either Nick Saban and Gene Chizik … or Petrino.

The official line is this:

• With the new scholarship limit of 25, the Crimson Tide simply ran out of room and wanted Philon to grayshirt.

• Instead, Philon chooses to go to Arkansas with Vigor High School teammate JaMichael Winston.

This is where it starts to get interesting.

In a first-round Class 5A playoff victory in November, Philon suffered a knee injury and didn’t return to that game, but did hobble through the rest of the playoffs. His coach, Kerry Stevenson, said a day later the knee would require surgery, but that it hadn’t been scheduled yet. As of this past Wednesday, that surgery had still not been scheduled. Stevenson told the Mobile Press-Register the doctors wouldn’t know the severity of the injury until it was scoped.

In the championship game, which the Wolves won, Philon had 10 tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery. He was able to have that kind of game because their opponent — knowing of the injury weeks before — tried running straight ahead at him instead of at Winston, the other defensive end for Vigor. Philon played after being told doing so would not injure the knee further. It was a heckuva game if you go by the raw numbers.

“He didn’t have to do a heckuva lot,” said one coach who saw the game. “He’s strong and was able to make the plays coming right at him, which was the thing to do when you have a defensive lineman everybody in the state knows is playing on one leg.”

On Wednesday, Philon pulled on an Alabama cap at Vigor’s signing day, but nothing got faxed to Tuscaloosa, mainly because Saban and his staff pulled the offer at the last second.

Word out of Tuscaloosa was they were nervous about the knee injury and the rumors out of Mobile about how bad it was.
   :taunt:

“It’s not a big secret that the knee is worse than just a minor deal,” said one person in the Mobile area involved in the sports scene. “He also hasn’t had any success with any rehab.” Notice no true source given.

On the surface, Saban was playing it safe with the new league-wide restrictions on signing players. What is surprising to a lot of observers around the league and in the state of Alabama is why Auburn didn’t jump in to pick up Philon, who originally committed to the Tigers.

“They still had two scholarships left when the word about Philon came out, they are trying to sign every defensive lineman they can find and they don’t make an offer to someone who committed to them first?” said one former Auburn player still close to the program. “Loyalty doesn’t come in at that point, regardless of what you think about Alabama or Auburn. The Tigers need defensive linemen. They knew the knee wasn’t going to be ready to go and there are questions that he can get into school.” No true source given.

Enter Arkansas.

In his press conference on Wednesday, Petrino said Philon was a player, “we’ve been on the phone a long time with here in the last two or three days.” Other than talking about Philon’s skills — which were plentiful before the injury — Petrino didn’t raise the subject of the knee injury or qualifying academically.

You have to think the staff knows about Philon’s injury.

You hope they know if he can get into school.

The bottom line is you hope Petrino and his staff are right … while Saban at Alabama and Chizik at Auburn are wrong.

The hope has to be this recruiting class — often-criticized in certain circles, mostly national — wasn’t reduced to taking a player they didn’t have complete information on.

Or, even worse, they were so desperate they took a flyer that Darius Philon will be okay physically and academically.

You have to hope, right?

Maybe Auburn didn't spurn the kid due to his injury...maybe Auburn didn't like the way he said "Fuck you, Bama's better" and didn't want to reward that kind of behavior with a scholarship.

Or maybe Chizik and Saban both missed on the kid's uncanny ability to play defensive tackle and Petrino has the insight of the football gods. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Yeah! Where Was Auburn to Save Philon?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
The Mobile Piss Rag's Mike Herndon takes it further.  He tries to paint it as a criticism of Saban but just can't help himself.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/nick_sabans_actions_show_commi.html

MOBILE, Alabama - This was supposed to be a column about the Super Bowl.

It was supposed to be analysis of whether New England's cornerbacks can handle Victor Cruz, of whether Matt Light can handle Jason Pierre-Paul, of whether the Giants' secondary can handle Tom Brady, of whether Ron Gronkowski's ankle is really the axis upon which this game will turn.

But the Darius Philon story will not go away.

Two days after Philon donned an Alabama cap during an emotional and confusing signing day ceremony, only to sign with Arkansas later in the day, a 247Hogs.com report on Friday claimed that the Vigor defensive lineman's knee injury is worse than initially feared and that he hasn't yet had surgery.   Did it say that?

Multiple sources at Vigor, including head coach Kerry Stevenson, have said Philon had surgery for a torn meniscus in December.

One of those sources told me this weekend that Philon should be ready to go for fall drills. But there is little doubt that the injury and the late commitments of defensive linemen Dalvin Tomlinson and Korren Kirven were what led Alabama to ask Philon to defer his enrollment, or grayshirt.

Tide coach Nick Saban, without speaking specifically about any one player, said Wednesday that the SEC's new 25-signee limit "took some opportunities away from guys that really wanted to come to Alabama." But he didn't have to continue recruiting Tomlinson and Kirven if numbers were the only issue.   That's a shot.

A teammate said Philon, who took no other visits after committing to Alabama in September, was approached about grayshirting last week. Stevenson said it's been an ongoing process for several weeks.

Either way, he was left with a decision between accepting a situation he clearly didn't want -- the grayshirt -- or going to a place he'd never seen. It was a dilemma that turned what should have been a day of celebration for Philon into a very public ordeal.

The moral of the story? Take your visits. But it's Philon's fault

Disregard the blowhards who complain that committed prospects should shut down the process. If we've learned anything from Philon's situation, it's this: Even if you think you know, you don't know for sure until the fax goes in on signing day.  Ok, so Saban's a blowhard, but it's still the kid's fault.

All verbal commitments are non-binding, even from coaches who claim to be "old-fashioned" and believe "a commitment is a commitment."   Pulled the punch. 

On Wednesday, Saban praised the players who had stuck by their commitments to Alabama in this year's class, calling it "a positive thing for us in terms of managing our recruiting this year."

What his actions have told future recruits, however, is that if you get hurt, that commitment isn't necessarily a two-way street.  Didn't use the word hypocrisy.  Another pulled punch. What is he scared of?

If it was, I might have been able to use this column to predict that Cruz has a big night, Pierre-Paul camps out in the backfield and the Giants ambush the Patriots again, 30-24.
Contact Mike Herndon at: mherndon@press-register.com
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
Didn't use the word hypocrisy.  Another pulled punch. What is he scared of?

Scared of, at the very least, being denied access.  At worst, some Updyke or Downing attacking him for stating what is true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Its called save face and damage control. This story had hit Yahoo/Rivals, SI, ESPN, Scout, etc and was moving fast. I'm telling you, this story is gonna hurt bama somewhat and bama knows it. Now you see has much clean up as you can in this state and region. Those fucktards know though that the damage has been done nationally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »
See I told you..  Auburn didn't offer him either...it is their fault..look at them!  Backwards hats = CHEATERS!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »
   What I find hilarious about the whole circus is that everyone insists Alabama offered him a greyshirt.  But with the signing limitations, that is no longer possible.  A greyshirt is when you sign a kid to a binding letter of intent, but don't put him on scholarship until January.  What Saban did was tell him not to sign with anybody, and "I promise" we'll sign you in January.  I mean, after all, his word is his bond, right?  Unless, of course, the kid's surgery doesn't go well, or Saban finds a couple 5-star tackles that want to sign next year.  In that case, just hang on another year, and he'll for sure sign you in 2014....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
That article is BS. Excuses excuses....

A meniscus tear isn't a major injury. Ive had two of em. And Ive also had an ACL tear. HUGE difference. Again....any excuse to deflect the blame.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
In what has to be the worst pile of moose shit ever in regard to this situation, the CRAPstone report weighs in.  Remember this is who Paul Finebaum considers "journalists" while places like The War Eagle Reader, WarBlogle (which he calls WarBoogle) and Never to Yield are ridiculed by that scum sucking bastard. 

I've added my comments in orange.   

Commentary, News, Recruiting February 6, 2012 Darius Philon story just another attempt by the media to attack that mean ole Nick Saban

I n the never ending effort to try and besmirch the good name of Alabama head coach Nick Saban, the latest soup du jour among the media and Crimson Tide detractors involves former Alabama commitment and current Arkansas signee Darius Philon.

An Alabama commmitment from September, Philon never took another visit. But as Mike Herndon of the Mobile-Press Register would have us believe, Nick Saban just wasn’t as committed to Philon as Philon was to Nick Saban. In fact, on Super Bowl Sunday, four days removed from the horrendous cardinal sin, Herndon devoted another column to exposing that mean ole Nick Saban.

Earlier in the week Josh Moon of the Montgomery Advertiser made a goob of himself on the subject, a personal forte’ of Moon’s. Of course, how appropriate that someone named “Moon” regularly shows his ass. Moon published a downright lie the morning of February 2nd, claiming that Alabama head coach Nick Saban had “yanked a scholarship offer” from Philon. Moon also implied that they “jerked” an offer from former running back commit Justin Taylor, who ended up signing with Kentucky. How that “news periodical” can justify Moon’s employment over this bogus claim is beyond comprehension, and his continued employment there tells me they aren’t serious about reporting the truth. 
This is how a journalist responds? By saying another (respected) reporter "shows his ass?" Claims that Moon "downright lied?"  So I guess Philon went to Alabama, not Arkansas since the scholarship offer wasn't rescinded.  Oh, wait...

Kevin Scarbinsky couldn’t wait to tell on mean ole Nick Saban either, his piece coming on Friday morning, again questioning Nick Saban’s commitment to his program’s commitments. Scarbinsky not jumping on that story would be about as unlikely as a rat not taking the cheese. There was no word on whether Kevin wanted to look into the suit Philon wore the day of his signing, however.
At least the idiot fucks know the suit story isn't going to go away. 

This morning on Birmingham’s JOX radio’s “Opening Drive,” Auburn mouthpiece and apologist Al Del Taco Greco wanted to keep the subject fresh. But when asked by Jay Barker why Auburn didn’t then jump on the opportunity to sign Philon (being the family oriented, Christian, help-the-young-man-first University their hypocritical fanbase claims to be), the Tiger balked. Instead of being Good Samaritans, Gene Chizik and crew instead impersonated the others in that well-told story, walking past the fallen Philon as he lay in the ditch. And this from a program with PLENTY of room on their roster–the Tigers had SIX spots open after signing day, only signing 19. What better way to build a foundation for your program than to sign a player spurned by the rival you fear the most? And yet, the crickets in Lee County chirp.
Del TACO?  Racist motherfuckers.  Yeah, that's journalism.  I heard Brian Williams on NBC refer to Newt Gingrich as Honky McGoob.  That's how the pros do it.   

And Auburn is the black hat here.  Auburn left Philon in the ditch.  These guys are fucking fools.  Saban put Philon in the ditch.  AU passed him by when he hitched a ride with that shit-eating midget snake oil salesman. 

The Bottom Line
Philon’s story is unfortunate, but it’s not a sad one. Not by any means. I’m just waiting for someone…anyone…in the media to understand and communicate this. But then again, why would they? It’d be a departure from their ongoing quest to sling mud at that mean ole champion in Tuscaloosa.
Fucking idiots.  Not sad?  Right.  Philon was laughing when he had his head down on the table on Signing Day.  How could we have missed it?

Scarbinsky? Herndon? Moon? Del Taco? Let me drop some knowledge on you:
Del Taco again.  Fools AND racist motherfuckers. 

1.) Nick Saban did not create the rules. He didn’t created caps on signing classes. In fact, just the opposite is true. The rules have constantly been altered by Saban’s competitors because the only man to own three BCS crystal footballs constantly outworks them. Under the old arrangement…that the SEC changed for him, mind you…Darius Philon would be on his way to Tuscaloosa.

2.) College football isn’t Upward Sports. Everybody doesn’t get to play. Everybody doesn’t “deserve” a chance because their momma and daddy signed them up and bought their uniform. Simply, college football is a cut-throat multi-million dollar industry supported by fanbases demanding nothing but the best. It’s simple supply and demand in motion. With the supply of top level athletes climbing over one another to get to Tuscaloosa right now, the demand..and luxury…Alabama has is: “Be the best and you’ll get your shot.” The problem was, injury dislodged Philon from being the best…right now.
Stupidest argument ever. Morons. 

3.) Injury is a brutal reality to the game of football, but it’s a reality EVERY SOLITARY PLAYER recognizes and signs off on when strapping it up to play. In fact, on a much higher level, at this moment the great Peyton Manning is about to experience this reality himself. Over what? Injury. If you’re not the best, teams that can afford to pick over you will. It’s a hard lesson to learn, but one we ALL have to learn eventually. That’s called life, the thing college is supposed to prepare you for.
Second stupidest argument ever. Yeah Peyton's situation in Indy is EXACTLY the same as Philon's.  Exactly. 

4.) But lastly, and everyone is conveniently missing this point…DARIUS PHILON DID NOT HAVE HIS SCHOLARSHIP OFFER “YANKED”. Darius Philon would have been able to attend the University of Alabama free-of-charge, adjusting to college life the first part of his freshman year, enjoying all the benefits of the academic center. He would have been able to rehab his injured knee for an entire year, assuring himself and coaches that he’d be ready to play in 2013. Oh, did I leave that part out? He was guaranteed a spot in January 2013.
These fucking dumbasses don't even know how shit works.  Attend the UofA free of charge?  Not even close.  He'd have to pay his own way and then hope a scholarship magically appeared next year. And we've seen how good Saban's word is.  These fools are ignorant beyond belief.   And they claim to be journalists and are backed by Finebaum. 

But instead, Darius Philon joined Justin Taylor in signing elsewhere. These members of the microwave generation didn’t want to wait. And you know what? That’s their business; they have to do what’s best for them. But to say their scholarships were taken away is simply a falsehood that I can’t explain coming from journalists paid to produce the facts.
Right.  This all came about because kids are so fucking impatient.  That's the problem.

Nick Saban has held the keys to the Alabama kingdom for five seasons now, performing at a level few ever thought they’d see the Crimson Tide program at again. It’s HIS business to ensure the best interests for the University of Alabama football program. And in these instances, grayshirting was what needed to happen.

But state media taking the occasion to kick rocks in the direction of the one they hate the most. It’s just pitiful journalism. But then, with very few exceptions, that’s what they do best.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
In what has to be the worst pile of moose shit ever in regard to this situation, the CRAPstone report weighs in.  Remember this is who Paul Finebaum considers "journalists" while places like The War Eagle Reader, WarBlogle (which he calls WarBoogle) and Never to Yield are ridiculed by that scum sucking bastard. 

I've added my comments in orange.   

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As much as I hate a lot of Clay Travis' style (and motive), he is right about Bammers. All they do is yell 14!!! and "you're gay" 100 times if you don't agree with them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »

A meniscus tear isn't a major injury. Ive had two of em. And Ive also had an ACL tear. HUGE difference. Again....any excuse to deflect the blame.
On your knees a lot, eh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
On your knees a lot, eh?

Comes with the job
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

I bet Auburn didn't offer you an athletic scholarship either!  Those low life sumbitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
I bet Auburn didn't offer you an athletic scholarship either!  Those low life sumbitches.

Bingo....rumor was my recovery was having complications. It was their fault, not mine!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Bingo....rumor was my recovery was having complications. It was their fault, not mine!

Look, they told you two weeks before signing day that you'd have to either brown shirt or find another place to play.  It's not their fault you showed up to the press conference in Auburn gear.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
Look, they told you two weeks before signing day that you'd have to either brown shirt or find another place to play.  It's not their fault you showed up to the press conference in Auburn gear.

He was only there for the whorderves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »

This just further proves that Cam got paid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »

Some idiot defending this shit on Fbaum yesterday actually used the phrase: "A full two week notification."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
Some idiot defending this shit on Fbaum yesterday actually used the phrase: "A full two week notification."

Thats sounds to be more of a job resignation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »

Well, it is the official Tahd notice of scholly drop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE