Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A story of generations

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
A story of generations
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
Was sitting around the other day reminiscing about time spent with my grandmother. 

(This is going to be long...)

One of the things she loved to do was play cards.  She liked Rummy but when I was five or six years old the rules of the game were a little too much to comprehend.  Couldn't hold all those cards in my hand anyway.

Since she liked cards, though and she knew I liked Batman so she found and bought a set of Batman cards.  The game was essentially "Go Fish" with Batman characters. 

I knew Joker, Penguin, Batman, Robin, Batgirl and all of those.  But to fill out the deck there were a few odd characters.  One of them was Kidnapper.

Just a face drawn on a playing card.  Square jawed guy with a shadowy beard and a black mask. 

Wasn't sure what a kidnapper did so I asked my grandmother.  She said somebody who caught children and held them away from their parents. 

Looking for reassurance I asked her if they were real or fake like Penguin.

Oh they're real, she said without much thought.  She told me that some kid in a nearby town had been kidnapped just a few months before. 

She thought nothing of it. 

I was terrorized.  Every guy I saw on the street for months was a potential kidnapper.  My parents thought I was stupid for booby trapping my room and checking windows and doors.   Branches scraping on the window at night was a kidnapper trying to gain access. Every car that drove by was a kidnapper casing the house.  Like an idiot I found a different way to walk to school that didn't involve being on the open street.  I navigated storm drains and side streets.  In retrospect I was in greater danger there from some random kidnapper than if I'd been on the main road but what does a first grader know? 

While turning that over in my mind I considered what my own kids had been exposed to by first grade. 

If you watch the news its a constant litany of rapes, murders, robberies and mayhem.  You can't escape bullet riddled bodies on CSI, L&O and countless other shows. 

I've had to explain concepts like homosexuality, genocide, adultery and fuck all else because of what they hear on the radio and see on TV.

If a drawn face on a stupid playing card could horrify me as a six year old I wonder what the relentless assault of death and destruction does to kids today?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: A story of generations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
Your therapist must be one rich sumbish!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
If a drawn face on a stupid playing card could horrify me as a six year old I wonder what the relentless assault of death and destruction does to kids today?

It all depends on what kind of environment they are raised in.  It also depends on the child.  Some it won't make an impact, some it will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »
We had this discussion in another thread, but I really think so many of them are desensitized to it all.  The bombardment of all those things mentioned, through TV, music and especially video games, is so over the top it boggles the mind.  Got the kid an X-Box 360.  Went with him to Game Stop to pick out some games and I was blown away to see that probably 80% or more had to do with killing in one form or another.  I watched one of the TV's doing a promo for a particular game and there was this young guy and girl talking about the game...smiling, happy and perky as if they were doing a commercial for Mentos or Skittles.  The guy says....

"You'll die many times...but you'll learn from death." 

I had some back and forth with Sani about it and he was talking about making recommendations on games not totally centered around death and violence.  We've allowed him to get racing games and action hero fight games, wrestling etc.  But, he still is exposed to it 1000X over just by watching TV or even going over to a friends house where they play video games.  There was no death in Atari Pong.  Although I could kick some mean ass.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
I really think so many of them are desensitized to it all.  The bombardment of all those things mentioned, through TV, music and especially video games, is so over the top it boggles the mind. 

THIS part ^^^ All of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
Got the kid an X-Box 360.  Went with him to Game Stop to pick out some games and I was blown away to see that probably 80% or more had to do with killing in one form or another.

Like a giant gorilla throwing barrels at a small Italian man wouldn't be deadly?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »
Like a giant gorilla throwing barrels at a small Italian man wouldn't be deadly?

I just covered his eyes and steered him away from that section.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."