Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn Hires as OC...

JR4AU

Re: Auburn Hires as OC...
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
IMO, I'm happy that Coach Chizik's first choice feel through. Auburn needs a bigtime QB Coach and that's exactly what Coach Loeffler is. The other candidates had zero coaching and recruiting experience in the SEC. Coach Loeffler has Florida ties too. I'm just interested to see how successful he can be as the OC in the SEC.

I guess that would be a question mark with all of the Coaches being looked at.

I would have preferred more OC experience, but the QB coach is intimately involved in game planning and play calling.  I do like he's a QB coach.  Coached some good ones too.  SEC experience, and experience recruiting the south.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
i am sooo excited about the potential...bunch of 2 and 3 stars filling out our recruiting class.   temple?  i thought they were a basketball school. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
i am sooo excited about the potential...bunch of 2 and 3 stars filling out our recruiting class.   temple?  i thought they were a basketball school.

Cuz we're Auburn, and dat's how we roll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »
I would have preferred more OC experience...
Yeah, me too. Oh well, I'm glad we now have our coaches in place...now Coach Chizik and Staff can now close out this year's signing class and the offensive recruits know what type of offense they'll be playing in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
Three yards and a cloud of zuzzhazhuzzhmm

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Yeah, me too. Oh well, I'm glad we now have our coaches in place...now Coach Chizik and Staff can now close out this year's signing class and the offensive recruits know what type of offense they'll be playing in.

Here's what I do like.  He's been exposed to lots of different systems and isn't married to the "offense de jure" or some offense he "invented".  That said, from that vid I posted, it looks like he's sort of headed down the same road as Meyer/Mullen. 

I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion Frazier is going to be the guy, and Mosley needs to find a new home as far as I'm concerned.

Now, Loeffler needs to stop in Montgomery, pick up some untraceable cash cards from Uncle Milty,  get his ass in some living rooms of the Off. players still left on the board, and take Trooper and the bag man with him. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:55:21 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »
The pedigree is there, and renowned NFL quarterback coach George Whitfield believes Auburn landed a good one. "He's well respected in the college and the NFL ranks, and Auburn just landed a very, very talented coach," said Whitfield. "He's a talented both coach-teacher, and communicator. He's a players coach, a young, energetic guy. I think the Auburn fans will be excited."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »
The pedigree is there, and renowned NFL quarterback coach George Whitfield believes Auburn landed a good one. "He's well respected in the college and the NFL ranks, and Auburn just landed a very, very talented coach," said Whitfield. "He's a talented both coach-teacher, and communicator. He's a players coach, a young, energetic guy. I think the Auburn fans will be excited."

He probably actually knows about Loeffler, but doesn't understand college football/Auburn fans who were more concerned with a "home run name" than anything else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
I may be ahead of myself, but weren't the 2008 Lions the first team to ever go 0-16?

Yes, I was correct.  That is the team considered by many to be the worst in the history of the NFL.  I probably wouldn't mention that when talking him up. 

Just sayin'.
Yeah, he was the QB Coach...not the OC. His QBs that he could choose from were Daunte Culpepper (came out of retirement), Dan Orlovsky, Drew Henson & Drew Stanton.  Those aren't winning QBs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
Just some fluff....

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/03/tebows-new-qb-coach-scott-loeffler.html

Smart Football

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tebow's new QB coach: Scott Loeffler
USA Today:

When it came time for Urban Meyer, head coach of the defending national champion Florida Gators, to offer some advice to his new quarterbacks coach on how to handle Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Tim Tebow, the message was pretty simple.

"Coach Meyer said just don't screw him up," Scot Loeffler said.

All well and good. But we know the real reason that Meyer brought in Loeffler: to help Tebow become more "NFL Ready." And Loeffler has some serious bona fides, including his years doing wonderful work with quarterbacks at the University of Michigan (like Chad Henne, Tom Brady, and Brian Griese), though his encore was spent this past season with the Detroit Lions just trying to teach his quarterbacks the simple things, like, you know, not running out of the back of the end zone for a safety to seal a loss.

As I have previously written, Tebow needed to put "becoming a better pro prospect" at the head of his "To Do" list. And many -- including Tebow in the USA Today piece -- cited Loeffler's hiring as a reason he came back. But I'm not so sure that this is the perfect marriage. I mean, I think for Florida Gator fans even a slightly confused or tinkered with Tebow is better than the next guy, but what about for Tebow?

As I have previously written, Tebow needed to put "becoming a better pro prospect" at the head of his "To Do" list. And many -- including Tebow in the USA Today piece -- cited Loeffler's hiring as a reason he came back. But I'm not so sure that this is the perfect marriage. I mean, I think for Florida Gator fans even a slightly confused or tinkered with Tebow is better than the next guy, but what about for Tebow?

Loeffler can definitely help in a few major areas: footwork (avoiding the famed and slightly ridiculous "spread quarterback" label); reading coverages; accuracy; and the ability to make a wider variety of throws than Florida asks him to. But again, as I said before, I'm not so sure that he wouldn't get all this and more actually in the pros. All he turns down is a set amount of money (but not a "fixed" amount because an increase in Tebow's draft stock is purely speculative), aside from of course, more college glory and the "college experience," which did not serve people like Matt Leinert all that well and Tebow has achieved all that is humanly possible in college.

And I still think it ignores a big drawback for Tebow: all the hits he takes. He essentially takes hits like a runningback does, and the studies are voluminous showing that runners deteriorate, not so much over the course of a season, but at some point in their careers.

So the real parties in interest, Florida and Urban Meyer, now must try to satisfy two masters: win games but also make Tebow more of a "pro-guy." Do you try to call fewer runs for him? Do you emphasize different points of the game? Do you take some of the (limited) time Loeffler gets to spend with him and dedicate that to pro-style stuff rather than the immediate gameplan?

Don't get me wrong, Tebow becoming a better dropback passer can only help Florida, and Loeffler is a very good coach and is a great addition no matter what. But for Florida's sake I hope they don't fixate on this too much, and for Tebow's sake I hope he isn't expecting more focus on his pro prospects than might be appropriate. Time will tell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:44 AM »
You've sorted out his entire career, yep.

If you're going to say he was successful in the NFL, when his only season in the NFL was on a 0-16 team, I'm going to mention it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »
If you're going to say he was successful in the NFL, when his only season in the NFL was on a 0-16 team, I'm going to mention it.

And I give less than .0000001 of a shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »
Token, if you take Saban's first 4 years at Mich. St, and 2 years at Miami, he's a .500 coach.  Just sayin'. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 01:07:25 AM »
Token, if you take Saban's first 4 years at Mich. St, and 2 years at Miami, he's a .500 coach.  Just sayin'. 

I'm not judging his career by one job.  I'm just pointing out that being the QB coach for 1 year on an 0-16 NFL team does not equal a successful NFL coach. 

Really, I was just busting your balls because of your offensive prowess.  And I know how much you enjoy someone finding one shitty performance and harping on it.  But, my point still stands.   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:08:33 AM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
Cleveland Browns were 6-10, 7-9. 7-9, 11-5 during Saban's tenure as DC. More suckage. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
Cleveland Browns were 6-10, 7-9. 7-9, 11-5 during Saban's tenure as DC. More suckage.

Dude, it's ok to be wrong once.  It's not the end of the world.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
Dude, it's ok to be wrong once.  It's not the end of the world.
You realize that Coach Loeffler was interviewed by Coach sabbin after Coach Applewhite left. I'm just saying.

http://dothanfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=9602
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:35:49 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »
You realize that Coach Loeffler was interviewed by Coach sabbin after Coach Applewhite left. I'm just saying.

http://dothanfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=9602

He was not worthy of Lorde Sabinz extended attention and thus had to come to the cow college.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:39 AM »
I have no idea how good this guy can be, but he's the opposite of the "spark" everybody thought he was going to be. 

Why wait for a guy from Temple?  Who knows?

But it's going to be very easy to negatively recruit against him over the next few days.  It's apparent that unless Chizik already has quiet commitments from our top targets, we can expect to see them go elsewhere.

And Token's right.  If Chizik, Loeffler, or anyone else tries to pitch his NFL experience to recruits, they'll be laughed out of the room.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
I believe Loeffler was the first OC name that was actually confirmed to interview. His name popped up about 3 weeks ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions