Things Republicans Cheer/Boo

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Things Republicans Cheer/Boo
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
Cheer:
Child Labor
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/gop-debate-audience-cheers-child-labor

Letting the Uninsured Die

Executing "More Inmates Than Any Other Governer of Modern Times"

Torture

Saying it's the unemployed's own damn fault.

Infidelity

Boo:
Sexual harassment accusations (could also fall under cheering infidelity)

Not blaming "the whole Muslim world" and merely discussing Al Qaeda's stated motivations that extend beyond the oversimplified "they hate our freedom".

US Soldiers who happen to be gay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGo-B39Fhw#noexternalembed-ws

Legitimate Mexican Heritage

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Before you go on the warpath, I understand the complexities of (at least most of) these issues extend beyond the simplified anecdotal way they were presented, but the fact remains that these were the contexts in which these visceral reactions were emitted. It's one thing to support, for example, the death penalty or torture for intelligence gathering. It's entirely different, in my opinion, to "Yee-haw" it.

My serious question is, do you really agree with the audience on all of these things? Not on the grander principals of smaller government, etc. (I do too for most of these), but on these particular reactions to these particular questions/responses/hypotheticals?

Follow-up question: Are these Christian principles? How can the GOP claim to have the monopoly on morality and faith, if these are its stances?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Things Republicans Cheer/Boo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
One key word:  context.

Michael Moore has made a livin of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Something you have to understand as well is that those crowds are a mix of supporters of different candidates, and the party is eating their own right now really. I'm not so sure that every reaction is an indication of the party of a whole. Maybe it is. My thoughts:

Cheer:
Child Labor
Hard to comment, because I honestly don't know the details. I mean, if we're talking about kids that are of working age anyway (15+), I would be interested in at least hearing the details.

Under the scenario given, that it is a guy with a good, well paying job, then I say that's on him. It shouldn't be my responsibility because he wanted to save a few bucks. How would it be right that my taxes should go up so he can save some money on a premium? It might be a little different if the guy was disabled and couldn't work, etc, or could show hardship (much like what is done to qualify for a public defender) to explain why he wasn't going to pay for a policy. But in that scenario, he decided to play Russian roulette with his own well being.

I don't get it. If the person on death row has exhausted all of their legal options as far as appeals, and a jury has found him guilty, what's the problem? For better or worse, that's how the legal system works. He has no obligation to let them hang around for 20 years past when all avenues of appeal have been exhausted.

Torture
I'm sort of torn on this issue. One side of me says it isn't right to do it. The other side of me says a few things:

1. The other side doesn't give a fuck. They're going to torture the shit out of our guys, drag them behind vehicles, slit their throats, etc.

2. The other side was doing this sort of thing long before waterboarding was an issue. When I say the "other side", I'm talking about pretty much any force the US has fought against in the past 20 years. They don't give a shit what we're doing, or that we're nice and won't torture them. If we're talking about waterboarding, and only waterboarding, and it saves an American life, then I'm cool with that. 

Saying it's the unemployed's own damn fault.
Yes, and no. It's not up to the government to find you a job. It's not up to the government to get you technical job training. It's not up to the government to make your employer pay you $20/hr to flip burgers. But when I see signs for HELP WANTED at McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, etc, and then I see people that live 5 miles from those places complainint about not having a job....there is some sort of disconnect. Some people simply find it easier to live off of the government teat. Would I want to work at any of the above establishments? Fuck no. But if that's the only kind of job that my skillset afforded to me, and I was unemployed, then I'm going to go flip burgers. It's a little different for those with legitimate mental or physical disabilities. I've got no problem with the government helping those folks. I just have a problem with the folks who want government money who are able, and refuse to help themselves.

Infidelity
I don't see the problem in asking that question. I want to know the character of somebody who wants to be president. If he took a really bad shit 10 years ago and somebody smelled it down the hallway, I want them to ask the guy what he had for lunch that day. When you put yourself upon that high of a platform as being a candidate for POTUS, you know you're going to have to answer some stupid questions, and clear the air on shit. Your entire life is going to go under the microscope. Honestly, I think his answer would have been more believable if he would have said something along the lines of "Look, this bitch is an ex-wife; she's fucking crazy. That's why she's an ex-wife. Schedule me a polygraph, and we'll settle this shit". Say something that Americans could relate to if it isn't true. That rant just sort of reeked of GUILT.

Boo:
Sexual harassment accusations (could also fall under cheering infidelity)
See above.

Not blaming "the whole Muslim world" and merely discussing Al Qaeda's stated motivations that extend beyond the oversimplified "they hate our freedom".
Again, I think this falls under the mixed crowd type of thing. Ron Paul is pretty much spot on. The entire muslim world doesn't hate us. Fuck, my primary physician is from Pakistan. His wife is Israeli. That makes for interesting conversation in itself, but I digress. Those two are just as Western as anybody else. We almost guarantee ourselves future problems because we go over to other countries sticking our dicks in shit where it doesn't belong in the first place. That, and lunatics preaching crazy shit to otherwise impressionable people are the problem. Generalizing the entire Muslim population is stupid.

US Soldiers who happen to be gay
Telling a soldier he can't be in the military is no different than telling somebody that is black that they can't be in because they are black. I don't have a problem with gays in the military as a general rule. A gay person in the military causing a problem by dry humping a straight soldier in a foxhole, or sticking his finger up some other guy's ass in the shower is a different problem than some dick lashing out at a gay soldier because the straight guy has a thing against gays.   

Legitimate Mexican Heritage
Stupid reaction. Plain and simple.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Again, Ron Paul makes sense. Some countries want to start shit just because. That's one thing. But again, we stick our dicks in alot of things we shouldn't relative to foreign policy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »
Hows Obama's change been working for you Chizad?  One day you will grow up and realize that people need to take care of and be responsible for themselves and their actions.  It is not the governments responsibility to take care of everyone.  I actually know quite a few millionaires and most of them don't mind paying their fare share of taxes.  The problem is we have close to 50% of people living in this country that pay no taxes at all.

The Republican party and its candidates are pretty shitty right now, but it still beats the puppet regime we have in office now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
I don't understand why it's so difficult. I'm not doing as well as Bill Gates, but I don't see any reason that he should have to finance my ass. I'm doing better than others because I made relatively decent decisions with my life. I don't see why I should have to finance others because they didn't. Like I said before, I don't have too much issue with those that have a legit mental or physical disability. Go work in a grocery store for 9 years if you want to see how shit is. You will get a good snapshot of the folks that come in with nice clothes, fake nails, who digs past the nice cell phone and wad of cash in their designer purse so they can pull out the food stamp card. Then when they leave they go get in a nice vehicle.

There really are people out there who need a little help. But I think you would find the number of those who are working the system fairly surprising.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
My serious question is, do you really agree with the audience on all of these things? Not on the grander principals of smaller government, etc. (I do too for most of these), but on these particular reactions to these particular questions/responses/hypotheticals?
These are simply silly reactions to the high level questions being asked.  To take them as anything more than that is naive. 

Follow-up question: Are these Christian principles? How can the GOP claim to have the monopoly on morality and faith, if these are its stances?
Shallow question...  I don't recall ever really hearing the GOP claiming to have a monopoly on morality, but the principles leading to these outcomes are likely resulting in the cheers and boos. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
Hows Obama's change been working for you Chizad?  One day you will grow up and realize that people need to take care of and be responsible for themselves and their actions.  It is not the governments responsibility to take care of everyone.  I actually know quite a few millionaires and most of them don't mind paying their fare share of taxes.  The problem is we have close to 50% of people living in this country that pay no taxes at all.

The Republican party and its candidates are pretty shitty right now, but it still beats the puppet regime we have in office now.
I didn't vote for Obama, so I don't know what you're talking about.

That response, to me, is swinging this discussion into a totally irrelevant side swiping, and implying that I'm too immature to understand principles such as personal responsibility a few months out from thirty.

Nevertheless, the one video of several that that is remotely relevant to, I thought of you and a few others I know in similar situations, in particular. You don't take that as a big "Fuck You" from Herman Caine? Or at least a stone-cold lack of sympathy? He's basically saying you are/were unemployed because you are lazy. No, I don't think it's the government's place to find you a job, but fuck, have some compassion for the tens millions of people looking for jobs, and while you're at it, shift some focus on un-fucking the economy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:37:45 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
I didn't vote for Obama, so I don't know what you're talking about.

That response, to me, is swinging this discussion into a totally irrelevant side swiping, and implying that I'm too immature to understand principles such as personal responsibility a few months out from thirty.

Nevertheless, the one video of several that that is remotely relevant to, I thought of you and a few others I know in similar situations, in particular. You don't take that as a big "Fuck You" from Herman Caine? Or at least a stone-cold lack of sympathy? He's basically saying you are/were unemployed because you are lazy. No, I don't think it's the government's place to find you a job, but fuck, have some compassion for the tens millions of people looking for jobs, and while you're at it, shift some focus on un-fucking the economy.
Sorry..I wasn't digging at you.  I just don't like the current state of our government, and I'm not real crazy about the Republican idiots either.  If Sani would say yes to my proposal we could be leaving for Spain soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GarMan

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

I love the way the video ends without showing the rest of what Herman Cain had to say.  I have no sympathy for those who have been unemployed for 99 weeks.  That's ridiculous.  Even in this shitty economy, there are enough jobs out there to make ends meet.  You might need to change industries.  You might need to change careers.  You might even need to take a step down in pay.  And, if you can't find a job after a reasonable effort, you make one for yourself.  I know of some who had to take multiple jobs to cover their expenses as a stop-gap until they found another job in their desired industry.  People need to take more responsibility for themselves, and that has always been the predominant message from the Conservatives.  Enough with the nanny-state mentality...  Our safety nets have become a way of life for the pathetic and lazy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
For the most part, RWS, I agree with all of your sentiments.

For clarification:

Under the scenario given, that it is a guy with a good, well paying job, then I say that's on him. It shouldn't be my responsibility because he wanted to save a few bucks. How would it be right that my taxes should go up so he can save some money on a premium? It might be a little different if the guy was disabled and couldn't work, etc, or could show hardship (much like what is done to qualify for a public defender) to explain why he wasn't going to pay for a policy. But in that scenario, he decided to play Russian roulette with his own well being.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything Paul said. The disturbing part, to me, was the very end of that video. When Wolf Blitzer says "Are you saying that society should just let him die?" and then several in the crowd barks out barbarically, "YEAH!!!"

I don't get it. If the person on death row has exhausted all of their legal options as far as appeals, and a jury has found him guilty, what's the problem? For better or worse, that's how the legal system works. He has no obligation to let them hang around for 20 years past when all avenues of appeal have been exhausted.
As I said, not so much the position itself, but "Yeehawing" that the state has put so many people to death under his orders. I would argue that the system doesn't unequivocally "get it right" every time, which to me if an innocent man gets put to death at the hands of our government because of a "mistake", that's unacceptable. But that's perhaps getting off track. I don't disagree with the death penalty overall. But I would never cheer for it. Can you imagine if this was a Democratic debate, and a moderator prefaced a question to a candidate with "Your state has performed more abortions than any other governor in modern times," and the crowd cheered like that?

Torture
I'm sort of torn on this issue. One side of me says it isn't right to do it. The other side of me says a few things:

1. The other side doesn't give a fuck. They're going to torture the shit out of our guys, drag them behind vehicles, slit their throats, etc.

2. The other side was doing this sort of thing long before waterboarding was an issue. When I say the "other side", I'm talking about pretty much any force the US has fought against in the past 20 years. They don't give a shit what we're doing, or that we're nice and won't torture them. If we're talking about waterboarding, and only waterboarding, and it saves an American life, then I'm cool with that. 
Agree. I'll add to that that I believe it can be an effective ends that can justify the means. But, like you, despite that, I'm somewhat on the fence about it morally. All that said, just like these other topics, agreeing with the policy is one thing. Cheering for it like bloodlusting spectators in the Roman Colosseum?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:00:29 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »
I missed this one in the OP.

Under Cheer:
Racism
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:14:15 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
I missed this one in the OP.

Under Cheer:
Racism

Seriously? You are really reaching. It would be easier if you just said you had a man crush on the ONE. After all, you both have the common tactic of letting emotional empathy override normal brain logic.

Are you going to post some Democrat one liners too? I.e. Spread the wealth, God@mn America!!, etc

or about how Obama taught the Alinsky principle of Power Analysis at the U of Chicago.....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
Seriously? You are really reaching. It would be easier if you just said you had a man crush on the ONE. After all, you both have the common tactic of letting emotional empathy override normal brain logic.

Seriously...  The opposing reaction to every single one of these clips is really just another example of the misguided, elitist and halfwit Political Correctness movement.  Intelligent, logical and rational people understand why the audience members are cheering, booing and heckling.  None of this should need to be defended.

Are you going to post some Democrat one liners too? I.e. Spread the wealth, God@mn America!!, etc 

Don't forget fair share, fairness and equal... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions