Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

FB Jay Prosch

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
FB Jay Prosch
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Just transferred from Illinois to Auburn.

Looks like his mom must not be doing too well.

This was from last summer.

http://illinois.scout.com/2/1065057.html
The Agony And Ecstasy Of Jay Prosch
Jay Prosch (Holly Smith)

By Jack Lyman
InsideIllini.com staff
Posted May 20, 2011

The Fighting Illini football team benefitted from several freshmen last fall. Possibly most impressive was Jay Prosch's blocking for star running back Mikel Leshoure. The rookie missed a week of spring practice to support his sick mother in Alabama, but he returned in time to make a big impression with his running ability. His future is unlimited.

Jay Prosch had a great fall and was continuing to impress this spring before he received word of his mother's severe illness.

"She's all right. She has brain cancer, but she's fighting hard and doing good. She's been strong, so I'm just hoping for the best."

Prosch spent a week in Mobile, Alabama, to be with his mother. It was difficult to return, but she made it easier for him.

"I wanted to come back, but it was hard. What made it easy is that she's not tied up in a bed or anything. She's up walking around doing everything. So it was easy for me to know she was doing okay.

"I could leave with confidence, but I still wanted to be there for her. I was kind of ready to get back and get back into football."

Illinois offensive coordinator Paul Petrino's heart goes out to his star freshman.

"He's had a real hard time. I think it helps him to be around his friends and get out on the field, be around Coach Long, be around Coach Zook. Everyone loves him as a staff, and we want to do everything we can for him."

Prosch returned to practice on a Wednesday, and by Saturday he was given time at tailback. Running back coach DeAndre Smith said Illini coaches hoped to help him enjoy his day.

"We care about him, and we want to be real supportive. I know that's a very sad situation for his family. We were just having a little fun today, helping him forget about it. And he kind of enjoyed it. Maybe tonight will be a little tough for him, but this can help him get through the day."

He not only had fun, he impressed as a bruising running back in the mold of Mike Alstott, former Purdue and Tampa Bay star according to Smith, speaking after last Saturday's scrimmage.

"He was great. We had a plan at the beginning of spring, that if something happened, we needed to get him some reps at running back. Obviously, he can do a great job with pass protection. So we've just got to give him a little more chance to work at it.

"He's Alstott. He did a great job, big, physical. What was funny was you could see some good energy coming out; he gave a little wink after a nice run. He has those natural instincts. I think he enjoyed it today."

As well as he's doing as a football player, defensive coordinator Vic Koenning says he's an even better person.

"What's not to love? He's the best kid, toughest guy. Good night, we all want our kids to grow up like him, without a doubt. He's just an All-American guy, and I can't say enough about him. He's had a tough couple of weeks, and he's probably persevered better than any of us could."

Koenning recruited Prosch, but he minimizes his role.

"I can't take credit for that one. I have a good friend that's a high school coach down in Alabama. He said he saw a guy he thought was really good. I happened to have the school's head coach's number and called him. Sometimes the good Lord takes care of those who can't take care of themselves. That was probably a good example of that."

Prosch played offensive line until his senior season, and then he played almost exclusively at linebacker. Illinois needed fullbacks for its new pro-style offense. Fellow freshman Jake Howe was recruited to play fullback, but Koenning joked about wanting Howe at defensive tackle.

"Part of it is I wanted Jake Howe on defense. If I wanted to get Jake Howe on defense, then I had to go find a fullback."

However it came about, the Illini are fortunate to have such a strong, impressive athlete on their team. Prosch had few scholarship offers, choosing Illinois over Northern Illinois. But home-state favorites made things interesting at the last.

"Alabama talked to me, and they told me they wanted me to come as a preferred walkon. I wanted to go there, but I had other opportunities to do something else besides being a walkon.

"Auburn strung me along all the way until signing day. The night before, they told me to wait until 10:30 am on signing day, and they would almost guarantee me a scholarship.

"I knew Auburn was waiting on somebody else, so I didn't want to be the second or third guy and then get in as a last resort. So I said forget it. I signed with Illinois at 6:30 in the morning. I'm glad I came here. It took me awhile at first to get used to it, but I like it a lot."

As well as Prosch played as a freshman, his blocking is much improved this spring due to experience and confidence.

"The main difference I see is my speed. I feel I'm a lot faster getting off the ball and getting to the hole. I feel I'm able to move better. Last year looking back, I feel like I was bottled up in one direction. But now I can focus on whether I need to insert the A or B guy."

He says it does make a difference who is running behind his blocks, but he doesn't mind who has the ball as long as he's on the field.

"Right now, they don't cause any problems. This spring, I'm just trying to focus on me. But during the season, I would like to have one main guy just to keep the communication going between us. But otherwise I don't mind. I just try to do what I do."

Defenders don't look forward to receiving Prosch's blocks. The muscular athlete is one of the team's strongest players. He recently broke teammate Akeem Spence's power clean record by five pounds.

"It felt really good. I did 382 pounds."

Prosch hasn't gained much weight since arriving on campus, but he is in much better shape.

"When I came up here, I was maybe 245, 250 with about 14-15% body fat. Last year during the season I was like 6%, but now before we started spring I was at 8%. Just trimming up and getting more muscle I guess."

Prosch caught one pass last fall, and he's seen a few more come his way this spring. He has good hands. And as his 35 yards in 8 carries in a scrimmage demonstrates, he can run the ball also. Fullbacks love to carry the ball, and he is no exception.

"It feels really good. I was kind of nervous the first series. In high school, I ran the ball around 4-5 times. That's the only time I've ever touched the ball. I was nervous, but I was excited."

Blocker, pass receiver, runner. Prosch can do it all, and he has three more years to improve on his game. He will no doubt suffer hardships along the way, but he will likely rebound by being an ever better person and player.

While some athletes in his situation transfer to a school closer to home to be with sick family, it appears the Illini will continue to benefit from his presence for the remainder of his college career.

"This is my home."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:55:31 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: FB Jay Prosch
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
Good.  We desperately needed a good blocking fullback this year.  I really believe Eric Smith would have made a big difference this year and would have allowed them to run the offense much better.  Not that we would have beaten the LSU's and Mullets of the world.  Smith gave us a 240 lb. beast in the backfield to open holes and keep guys off the QB.  We didn't have a fullback at all this year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
Somewhere, Phillip Lutzenkirchen is doing the Lutzie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Somewhere, Phillip Lutzenkirchen is doing the Lutzie.

You're dancing in my head.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
As I suspected:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/7475166/jay-prosch-leaving-illinois-fighting-illini-transfer-auburn-tigers

Jay Prosch transferring to Auburn

By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
Archive

Illinois fullback Jay Prosch is transferring to Auburn to be closer to his ailing mother.

Prosch, a 6-foot-1, 250-pound sophomore from Mobile, Ala., filled the role of Illinois' starting lead blocker for the past two seasons and recorded 10 tackles on special teams in 2011. His mother, Iris, was diagnosed with brain cancer last spring and has been receiving treatments both in Mobile and at Duke University in North Carolina.

"Jay Prosch has decided to transfer to Auburn and will be there for the current semester," Illinois coach Tim Beckman said in a statement. "He will have an opportunity to be much closer to his mother, who continues to face health issues. We wish Jay the best as he makes this move."

Another factor in Prosch's decision is that Illinois will run a spread offense under Beckman that won't feature a fullback. Prosch told the Mobile Press-Register that he had received permission from Illinois to talk to 11 of the 12 SEC schools about transferring. Only Arkansas, where former Illinois offensive coordinator Paul Petrino works, was excluded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
http://chicago.sbnation.com/illinois-fighting-illini/2012/1/18/2716091/jay-prosch-transfer-illinois-fighting-illini

Top Illini Fullback Jay Prosch To Transfer
CHAMPAIGN, IL - NOVEMBER 19: Donovonn Young #5 of the Illinois Fighting Illini celebrates a touchdown with Jay Prosch #35 and Evan Wilson #89 against the Wisconsin Badgers at Memorial Stadium on November 19, 2011 in Champaign, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Bookmark and Share

By Jordan Sargent - Newsdesk contributor

With Illinois moving away from a pro-style offense, and with his mother battling brain cancer, the time is right for Jay Prosch to leave the Illini.

Follow @sbnchicago on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Chicago on Facebook.

Jan 18, 2012 - Whenever a new head coach takes over a college football team, there is always at least a small exodus of players who transfer for various reasons. Illinois Fighting Illini fullback Jay Prosch, who told the Alabama Press-Register that he intends to leave Champaign, has a different reason than most: he would like to be closer to his ailing mother, who is currently battling brain cancer in his hometown of Mobile, Ala.

According to the Josh Bean of the Press-Register, new Illini head coach Tim Beckman is expected to give Prosch a full release to transfer to any school, with the exception of the Arkansas Razorbacks, who hired ex-Illinois offensive coordinator Paul Petrino after he left the Illini. According to Prosch, he's been in contact with the other 11 SEC schools, as well as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Florida State Seminoles, plus a few smaller schools in the South.

With Illinois moving to a spread offense that will de-emphasize, if not eliminate, the fullback position, it also makes sense for Prosch, who was named as a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly, to seek playing time elsewhere. Thankfully for him, plenty of SEC schools still stick with smash-mouth football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/prosch_jay00.html
2011: Transferred to Auburn following the season ... Played in 12 games, starting five ... Served as the team's primary fullback and also played on special teams ... Named first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly ... Shared team's Outstanding Special Teams Player award with kicker Derek Dimke ... Led the Illini with 10 tackles on special teams ... Did not play in the Illini's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl victory due to a staph infection in his knee ... Rushed one time for a career-high nine yards on a fake punt against Minnesota ... Got first career carry (no gain) against Western Michigan ... Named to Bruce Feldman's ESPN "Freaks" list and ESPN.com's Workout Warriors list prior to the 2011 season for his prowess in the weight room ... Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

Fuck da starzz
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
I hope he gets his hardship exception to play next season. We could definitely use him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
Prosch, who was named as a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly, to seek playing time elsewhere. Thankfully for him, plenty of SEC schools still stick with smash-mouth football.

This made the bird happy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
I hope he gets his hardship exception to play next season. We could definitely use him.

From what I heard on WJOX, that seems to be a forgone conclusion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
So, is this a sign of what type of offense Auburn will be running? Back to Pro Style smash mouth football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
So, is this a sign of what type of offense Auburn will be running? Back to Pro Style smash mouth football.

Please, please, please, please, please say it's true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »
Please, please, please, please, please say it's true.

It def seems like it. I mean the kid had many schools that he could have apparently transfered to and the fact that Illi is going to a spread. This certainly seems to be an indication. Then you toss in the heavy rumors that Chiziks waiting on his OC from the NFL; well tis looks almost certain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
Auburn will be a multiple offense.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I heard we're going Notre Dame Box.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions