Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

X-Box 360 questions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
X-Box 360 questions
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »
What's the easiest way to upgrade the storage I shouldn't have bought the 4g. I don't want to void the warranty....I was thinking external hard drive or jump drive? Thanks to all my tech savvy gamers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: X-Box 360 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »
What's the easiest way to upgrade the storage I shouldn't have bought the 4g. I don't want to void the warranty....I was thinking external hard drive or jump drive? Thanks to all my tech savvy gamers.

The hard drive is on the top of the Xbox.  There is a button on top.  Push it down and pull up on the HD at the same time.  There is no need to open the Xbox to replace the HD, and thus you don't void your warranty.

You can buy an HD at GameStop, probably Wal-Mart as well.  Or you can find some good deals online if you want to save some money and don't mind the wait for shipping.

All you have to do is remove the old HD and replace with the new one.  If you have any files on the old HD that you want to transfer, then you'll have to do some finagling to get that done, but we can walk you through it.

Also, be aware that you have "cloud storage" with the Xbox.  You'll need to enable it in the settings, and it will give you an additional 511MB for your saved games.  It won't save you a whole lot of space or anything, but it helps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Jumbo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
Do I have the Slim Xbox?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
Do I have the Slim Xbox?

Probably.  My understanding is that they stopped making the Arcade, Pro, and Elite models, and that they switched over to the "Slim" model with two different HD sizes:  4GB and 250GB.  I think they now refer to them as the Xbox 360 S Consoles.

If the top of your Xbox does not have a silver bar which says "HDD," then you've got a Slim model, as the HD on the Slim model is not on the top.

However, the Slim model HD is still easily accessible, and replacing it with an upgrade does not void your warranty.  You just have to take a cover off of the bottom of the Xbox, pull out the old HD, and put in a new one.  You're not opening the case and tearing the Microsoft sticker, so it's not voiding the warranty.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
A 250GB upgrade for the Slim will cost you about $100.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6710770&CatId=3266

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-250gb-internal-hard-drive/83934

If you want to go for a cheaper alternative that won't get you as much space, you can use the USB drives that plug into the front.  Basically, you get 8GB for $30, or 16GB for $60:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-8gb-usb-flash-drive-by-sandisk/77578

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.216676900/catID.50606600/parentCategoryID.50790100/categoryID.57399300/list.true

I'd advise getting the 250GB HD, as you'll still use up the 8GB and 16GB pretty quickly, especially when Microsoft comes out with more apps for the Xbox.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:28:49 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6710770&CatId=3266

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-250gb-internal-hard-drive/83934

If you want to go for a cheaper alternative that won't get you as much space, you can use the USB drives that plug into the front.  Basically, you get 8GB for $30, or 16GB for $60:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-8gb-usb-flash-drive-by-sandisk/77578

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.216676900/catID.50606600/parentCategoryID.50790100/categoryID.57399300/list.true

I'd advise getting the 250GB HD, as you'll still use up the 8GB and 16GB pretty quickly, especially when Microsoft comes out with more apps for the Xbox.
Thanks for your help I'm picking this up in the morning 320g hard drive for $129.99

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-320gb-media-hard-drive/97831
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:02:39 AM by Jumbo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »
Thanks for your help I'm picking this up in the morning 320g hard drive for $129.99

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-320gb-media-hard-drive/97831

Going for the 320GB...you can't hide money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 03:07:20 AM »
Going for the 320GB...you can't hide money.
I'm getting it for the extra storage.....fuck it I want Legos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »
Gamer tag?

I am sensing an tigersX clan coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Ive got the 16GB thumb drive and 500 GB external drive. Ive actually rarely used the 500 GB. I dont download any games either though. The 16GB has sufficed so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
Ive got the 16GB thumb drive and 500 GB external drive. Ive actually rarely used the 500 GB. I dont download any games either though. The 16GB has sufficed so far.

My original 20GB HD has sufficed thus far.  But I know that I'm pretty anal (teehee) about keeping the HD clean.  I don't keep demos and videos on the drive after I've played/watched them.

I also don't play as many games as some people, especially those who have GameFly or rent games regularly from somewhere else, so I don't have as many game save files.

Some game saves can get pretty big.  My Fable 2 save is 1.1GB.  Fight Night Round 4 is right at 1GB.  The apps that I currently have are about 0.5GB, and Xbox is adding more.  I figure it's better to be safe than sorry, especially if you're getting the Xbox for the first time and won't know whether you'll be downloading games.  Especially with the anticipated expansion of the Xbox's functions, getting a bigger HD makes it a little more future proof.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »
Gamer tag?

We're putting together a Legos clan?  Sweet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
We're putting together a Legos clan?  Sweet.

I was thinking MW3 princess.

VV is right about the save game files.  I ended up with about 400 saves in Skyrim and they ranged in size from 4 meg to 14meg.  Pretty large for save game files.  I am also pretty good about keeping my hard drive cleaned out but I still have only 50 gigs of space left on a 120 gig hard drive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »
I was thinking MW3 princess.

VV is right about the save game files.  I ended up with about 400 saves in Skyrim and they ranged in size from 4 meg to 14meg.  Pretty large for save game files.  I am also pretty good about keeping my hard drive cleaned out but I still have only 50 gigs of space left on a 120 gig hard drive.

400?  Damn son...maybe I'm not as far into the game as I thought I was.  I've got 71 saves.  I have 34 of 50 achievements and 590 of 1,000 Gamerscore, so I'm guessing I'm halfway through?  Not really sure how to accurately calculate that...

Although, I've completed "The Fallen" quest, and I think all I have to do is ride the trapped dragon up to Alduin to complete the main storyline, so I'm not sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
I've got 2.3g left on a 4g hard drive after my wife playing Just Dance 3, Kenetic Sports and Dead Island that I've only played for 30 minutes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Gamer tag?

I'm picking up MW3 today for Xbox....Gamer Tag to follow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
400?  Damn son...maybe I'm not as far into the game as I thought I was.  I've got 71 saves.  I have 34 of 50 achievements and 590 of 1,000 Gamerscore, so I'm guessing I'm halfway through?  Not really sure how to accurately calculate that...

Although, I've completed "The Fallen" quest, and I think all I have to do is ride the trapped dragon up to Alduin to complete the main storyline, so I'm not sure.

Well I had ramped up the difficulty so I was saving anytime I was going into a new area.  I ended up with 49 of 50.  Missed the one about collecting the 15 Daedric artifacts.  There is no margin for error on that one since there are only a certain number in the entire game and if you fuck up a decision you will not have enough to get the achievement.

I would go by time played as your gauge.  If you do all side quests as well as main I have seen 150-160 hours pretty consistently.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
Gamer tag?

I thought we had one at one time earlier this year. We take one ride in Red Dead and you are gone.

Maybe im on the crack, but isn't MS tinkering with the idea of doing away with gamer tags or maybe the gamer tag process? You are more up to speed on this shit than I.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
I thought we had one at one time earlier this year. We take one ride in Red Dead and you are gone.

Maybe im on the crack, but isn't MS tinkering with the idea of doing away with gamer tags or maybe the gamer tag process? You are more up to speed on this shit than I.

Yea not sure what happened there.  Send me another friend request.

I haven't heard anything about doing away with the gamertags anytime soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

Sani always promises to love you in the morning.

I haven't heard anything about them doing away with gamertags.  Not really sure how they would; you need some sort of way for people to find and befriend you so that you can play online games together, send messages, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions