Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

*Word on da skreet regarding DC search...

Re: *Word on da skreet regarding DC search...
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
I'm seeing more Whitt, Jr skreets than Shannon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
I want someone who has been there, done that....and preferably, done it well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
Word on da' skreets is Teh Aggies from A&M are supposed to announce this afternoon.  Sumlin has appeared to be the leader in recent days.  Any surprises?  Smart?  Richt?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
This is what one of the Scout guys put up when it looked like BMFP was going to hire Shannon:

Hey guys,
I see that you're on the verge of hiring Randy Shannon as DC. Having covered the Canes and their recruiting efforts for Scout since Shannon was first hired at Miami in 2001, I wanted to share some insight on him as a coach/recruiter.

early years:
When he first got the job under Larry Coker in 2001, he was given the keys to the most talented defensive roster probably in the history of college football. Guys like Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, and Rocky McIntosh couldn't even see the field that year. The Canes had the most talented unit in America in his first three years on the job and he did a very good job with it. They were ranked in the top 10 each year and they created pressure, forced turnovers, and were tough to score against. Those three units produced nine first round draft picks.

later years:
In 2004, all of Butch Davis' recruits were gone and the Coker/Shannon kids took over. That began a steady decline in production. His 04 unit was exposed a few times, giving up 30+ points 3 or 4 times that year. Bobby Petrino brought his Louisville team in and hung 500+ yards and 38 points on them. In 2005 his unit ranked pretty high but they didn't see a top 30 offense until, LSU at the end of the season and the Tigers hung 40 points on them.

as head coach:
He became head coach in 2007 and his defenses were always solid but unspectacular. They never had a top 20 unit but averaged 28th in the country in his 4 years. That was with three DCs (the first one he hired was fired after 1 season and is now an asst with the Detroit Lions and the 2nd one left to Okie State after one year. His third one is now ST coach with the Hartford Colonials of the CFL). He had the same LB (the only UM coach retained after Golden got the current job) and DB (now at Vandy) coaches in those 4 years and two DL coaches (one is now at Louisville and the other at Duke).

coaching style:
Shannon had a philosophy and stuck with it the whole time. He was almost stubborn at times. He loves playing man, cover 2. He rarely blitzes (which is why his first DC didn't last). He relies heavily on his front 4 to generate pressure. The MLB runs the show, and he always put his smartest and most experienced LB there, often moving over a senior from the outside. His defenses give up a lot of yards between the 20s and then get real tough in the redzone. His units were geared towards not giving up big plays. Opposing offenses ran the ball with success but rarely made big plays in the passing game, which limited their yards and touchdowns. As a result, his defenses were always among the best in pass efficiency numbers.

personnel:
He loves the prototypes. If a 5-10 MLB who was first team all-state and an athletic phenom wanted to come, forget it. Ask Brian Rolle (Ohio State and now the Eagles). Same with 5-9 corners (ask Purdue's AA Ricardo Allen). Size/speed/athleticism were far more important to him than playmaking ability/football IQ/instincts. As a result, his units always looked great coming off the bus. They looked great in pre-games and often times a lot of his players wound up in the NFL despite below average college careers (see GB corner Sam Shields, who never started a game under Shannon in college). He'll assemble a very talented unit, no doubt. 6-5 defensive ends, 6-2 linebackers, and 6-0 corners are very common under Shannon.

recruiting:
His evaluations were always so/so. A lot of south Florida kids who wanted to be Canes werent offered and are now playing in the league (the Lions have 3 on their starting defense alone). He was, however, good in the home and with parents -- especially those without father figures (a large portion of the top recruits). He was able to change some minds (Jon Beason grew up a huge Florida State fan, for example).  He doesn't put much emphasis on summer camps. Rarely did they have good turnouts and rarely did they make many new offers after them. He puts a huge emphasis on recruiting kids from winning programs. If they're choosing between two similar kids, the one who won 2 state titles will get the offer all day over the one who played on a losing team in HS. He doesn't recruit many kids. At Miami, he rarely spent any time recruiting OOS kids who weren't interested in Miami. Maybe that will change now that he doesn't have a home recruiting base like south Florida but he focused mainly on kids who already had some interest. Schools are allowed to host 56 kids for visits. At Miami, they rarely had more than 35 come in. Some coaches will try changing a lot of minds. Shannon, instead, focuses on building the relationships and convincing the kids who are already interested.

His teams will be tough to score against in the redzone. They'll be tough to gain big plays against. He'll probably put together a pretty talented unit before long. And his kids genuinely like him.
I wish him well. I think it'll be a good fit under Petrino since they've competed against one another in the past. It'll be very interesting to see how well he does in the SEC. Any follow up questions to this, just ask away!
Mike Bakas
Scout.com/FoxSports
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »
coaching style:
Shannon had a philosophy and stuck with it the whole time. He was almost stubborn at times. He loves playing man, cover 2. He rarely blitzes (which is why his first DC didn't last). He relies heavily on his front 4 to generate pressure. The MLB runs the show, and he always put his smartest and most experienced LB there, often moving over a senior from the outside. His defenses give up a lot of yards between the 20s and then get real tough in the redzone. His units were geared towards not giving up big plays.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No mas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No mas.

Sounds like we've been there done that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
Randy Shannon runs the Cover 2 "Tampa 2"...Hells yeah!!!! Bent, but don't break Defenses is gooder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
To be honest, I don't care who the DC is as long as we can get back to some real defense and no more of this "bend don't break" bullshit. Also, I would love see Auburn have LB's bigger than what we have currently.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
To be honest, I don't care who the DC is as long as we can get back to some real defense and no more of this "bend don't break" bullshit. Also, I would love see Auburn have LB's bigger than what we have currently.

So.  How big were ya thinkin'?  I might could help. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
So.  How big were ya thinkin'?  I might could help. 

I was thinking more like

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
Word on the skreetz is Mark Stoops is the man to be the next Auburn DC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
Word on the skreetz is Mark Stoops is the man to be the next Auburn DC.

I could live with that.  He coaches linebackers too, correct?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »
Last I checked, Linebackers play on the defensive side of the ball, so yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »

DC and DB coach at FSU and has coached DB's his entire career.  That will be interesting.  I think AUC said that Chizik wanted his next DC to coach DB's.  If that is the case and this is true, does Thig move to LB coach?  That is what he was at UNC and his stops before that.  It would seem logical.  Does this also mean that Lolley moves back to a desk job?  If so, then we would be one coach short correct?  Hire someone to coach ends and let Pelton coach tackles?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »
DC and DB coach at FSU and has coached DB's his entire career.  That will be interesting.  I think AUC said that Chizik wanted his next DC to coach DB's.  If that is the case and this is true, does Thig move to LB coach?  That is what he was at UNC and his stops before that.  It would seem logical.  Does this also mean that Lolley moves back to a desk job?  If so, then we would be one coach short correct?  Hire someone to coach ends and let Pelton coach tackles?
Much gracias.  Everything you mentioned would be moving in the right direction imnsho.  What's Terry Price doing these days?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
Last I checked, Linebackers play on the defensive side of the ball, so yes.

They do?

Signed,

Theodore Roof
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
Much gracias.  Everything you mentioned would be moving in the right direction imnsho.  What's Terry Price doing these days?

Getting hired at Texas Tech.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
Everything you mentioned would be moving in the right direction imnsho.

Thats what I be screaming.....literally screaming right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
Getting hired at Texas Tech.

Damn...must have missed that.  The Apple Dumplin BBQ Gang rides again!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions