Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wow, thanks Air Force

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Wow, thanks Air Force
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/far-more-troops-ashes-landfill-acknowledged-005000554.html
Remains of 274 Soldiers Dumped in Virginia Landfill

The US Air Force dumped the cremated, partial remains of at least 274 troops in a landfill before halting the secretive practice in 2008, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

The procedure was never formally authorized or disclosed to senior Pentagon officials, who conducted a review of the cremation policies of Dover Air Base -- the main point of entry for US war dead -- in 2008, the Post said.

Nor was the dumping ever disclosed to the families of the fallen troops, who had authorized the military to dispose of the remains in a respectful and dignified manner, the Post said, citing Air Force officials.

The newspaper quoted officials as saying that a precise count of the remains disposed of at a Virginia landfill would require searching through the records of 6,300 troops whose remains have passed through Dover since 2001.

An additional group of 1,762 remains -- which could not undergo DNA testing because they were badly damaged or burned -- were also disposed of in this manner, the Post said, citing the Air Force.

Defense officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Last month investigators said they had found "gross mismanagement" at the US Air Force mortuary, with body parts lost and remains mishandled.

After allegations from whistle-blowers, an Air Force probe found that two "portions of the remains" of fallen troops had been lost and uncovered other problems at the morgue.

New procedures have been put in place at the mortuary and the commander at the morgue, a colonel, together with two civilian officials were disciplined over the episode but not sacked.

The Dover affair echoes a scandal that erupted last year at Arlington National Cemetery, the country's hallowed ground for war dead. Investigators there uncovered cases of misidentified remains and mismanagement.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Wow, thanks Air Force
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
The families did give permission.

I guess respect and dignity can be defined differently for some.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
The families did give permission.

I guess respect and dignity can be defined differently for some.

It just seems like a horrible act to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
It just seems like a horrible act to me.

I must be numb to things these days. The bodies were already cremated and not claimed. I don't think they should have thrown them in a landfill, but what do you do with ashes? Did they have a service for each soldier? Were their memories respected at that service?

On the surface it sounds horrible, but no one was there to claim the ashes. Would it have been better if they just washed them quietly down the drain?

I'm not saying I condone it and I would not have chosen to do this, but what were the other options?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »
I must be numb to things these days. The bodies were already cremated and not claimed. I don't think they should have thrown them in a landfill, but what do you do with ashes? Did they have a service for each soldier? Were their memories respected at that service?

On the surface it sounds horrible, but no one was there to claim the ashes. Would it have been better if they just washed them quietly down the drain?

I'm not saying I condone it and I would not have chosen to do this, but what were the other options?

How about an umarked grave in Arlington? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Hell anything is better than a landfill.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
Cremate my fat ass and spread my ashes in the gulf of Mexico.

These 3 fagolas were sitting around after attending the funeral of their long time friend, remembering the gay times with him.  He had been cremated and his ashes divided among the three of them.  One said, "I'm going to take his ashes up to the mountains and throw them to the wind because that's where we met and started our relationship."

The next said, "Well, I'm going to the beach and rent a boat and I'll spread his ashes in the water because our first weekend together was on a tropical island."

The third said, "I'm going to go home and cook a pot of the hottest, spiciest chili I can make and I'm going to pour his ashes in there and have a bowl."

Why would you do that?

"Because on our first weekend together, he tore my ass up."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »

But do they not have an grave marked somewhere? I did not see where they weren't given a ceremony or anything. Just that the ashes were dumped. I would like more info on how their lives were honored rather than how their ashes were treated.

I still don't agree  what they did, but I'm not gonna act like this is a bigger deal than taking care of the soldiers and vets that are still alive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
I still don't agree  what they did, but I'm not gonna act like this is a bigger deal than taking care of the soldiers and vets that are still alive.

Can't argue with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions