Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

After giving more thought to this

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
After giving more thought to this
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
I think I as well as many Auburn fans might be being a bit too harsh on Ted Roof. Here's the way I see it. Ted Roof is trying to run a scheme he's not used to. The Tampa 2 is Chizik's D and it's being ran by a guy who likes to run multiple fronts and blitz a lot. I really think Ted Roof may be a good coach who is simply trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I'd like to see Roof run HIS defense for once. Looking over his coaching career it's obvious that his past defenses were no where near this bad. He always seemed to field a top 20 defense where ever he went when he was DC. I honestly think we may have a problem at Auburn in difference of philosophy and it's not meshing well. Chizik wants it ran his way and Roof is having to do things he's not used to doing.

Either we need to allow Roof to run it his way or we need to find a guy whose defensive philosophy matches Chizik's and who is well versed in the Tampa 2.

On another note we absolutely need to let Lolley go. I really think he's the weak link in all of this and that Roof because he's the DC is taking the majority of the heat for it.

If we can get a better position coach for our corners and safeties and Roof is allowed to implement his defense, I feel like we'll be alright. But, we do need to make some changes. There's just no putting lipstick on the Lolley pig. He's terrible.

Either let Roof go and find a Tampa 2 coordinator or let Roof run his defense I guess is what I'm getting at.

I've noticed that Roof has did a good job with the linebackers. Believe it or not they did improve over the year. I remember the first game where Holland for example allowed that 3rd and 20 completion because he made a mistake in not getting back into coverage. Several games later he did not make the same mistake. On basically the same play he was back there and made the pick against FAU. Eltoro and Holland both played better down the stretch. Had Holland not been so banged up all year things would have looked better.

But our secondary is terrible. They're constantly out of position. They rarely(other than Bell who was a safety) look for the ball. Our corners blow bump and run assignments like crazy and put our safeties in the tampa 2 in bad positions.

Personally I wished we'd move away from the Tampa 2. People have developed ways to exploit it especially people like McGee at Arkansas. I'd rather run a 4-2-5.  It's harder to exploit and easier to bring pressure at any time and be multiple.

Fire Lolley. Move Thigpen to LB coach(which is his forte anyways) and let Roof run his defense from the press box.

Looking at post game interviews, it looks like Roof is staying based on his comments. OK fine. At least let him run his defense next year and find us a better position coach for our Dbacks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:42:40 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

Re: After giving mre thought to this
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
really...zookie is available.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
really...zookie is available.
Nookie's available?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »
tl;dr

dc

fo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
Roof must go.  The stats are mind boggling.

Oh, and you might want to cover the tight end.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:22:24 AM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
For the record...I believe from now until whatever bowl game we end up in Kiehl Frazier should take all the snaps.

He should play the full game beginning to end.

Fuck it... we cant look any worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
For the record...I believe from now until whatever bowl game we end up in Kiehl Frazier should take all the snaps.

He should play the full game beginning to end.

Fuck it... we cant look any worse.

Agree
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »
Agree

Agree x2

At this point, I think it would be foolish not to let him take all the snaps. Auburn will have several weeks to prepare for whatever team which should be a decent amount of time for Frazier to get reps with Blake and Lutz. I think he has the run part of the offense down. There really is no other solution at this point. The bowl game should be a serious look at what next years offense will resemble.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Agree

Agree as well.

Damn, I think we all agree on something finally.

Whether its player development, lack of talent, etc - we know Trotter and Moseley just aren't working out. Time to try something bold, something different. At least with Kiehl we build into next year and get him reps. We need to see what the kid can do in a rhythm, start to finish in a game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »
I don't claim to be an expert, but isn't this whole "Tampa 2" thing predicated on giving up short plays and making teams work the entire field in hopes they'll fuck up somewhere along the line? 

If that's the philosophy, I hate it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Yoda

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
Pissed that it is 10:30 the Monday after last regular season game and Roof's firing has not been announced. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
Pissed that it is 10:30 the Monday after last regular season game and Roof's firing has not been announced.

My birds are not as entrenched as they were before, but the chirping I hear is that you can wait until 10:30 the Monday after the last regular season game of 2012 and possibly still not hear it.  Not going anywhere.  Continuity is valued over results.  The whispers I hear is that everybody who came on was given a five year pass unless they elect to go somewhere else on their own.  Probably BS, but I've heard the same thing twice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
My birds are not as entrenched as they were before, but the chirping I hear is that you can wait until 10:30 the Monday after the last regular season game of 2012 and possibly still not hear it.  Not going anywhere.  Continuity is valued over results.  The whispers I hear is that everybody who came on was given a five year pass unless they elect to go somewhere else on their own.  Probably BS, but I've heard the same thing twice.

Did a guy named Prowler give you those "skreets"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Yoda

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »

That had better be BS, or the next two years will be worse than this one.  I am fucking sick of watching 11 guys on defense that can't tackle, can't put pressure on a QB and can't turn to look for a fucking ball in the air.  It makes me want to fucking vomit.  I want to see guys knocking the shit out of the other side of the ball until they want to quit, I miss the likes of Spikes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

djsimp

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
I really don't think that there will be any staff changes. Call me crazy but I still think we should wait till hopefully after Frazier gets the full throttle for the bowl game to suggest changes in the offensive philosophy. Gus has made mistakes yes but what coach hasn't? The D has grown enough to really make me halt my fire Ted Roof march; although, I am still on the verge here. Am I gonna be pissed if some changes are made on staff? No, but they'd better be an upgrade and not some sort of lateral move because with any staff change you have to expect a step back in production.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:56:51 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »
I really don't think that there will be any staff changes. Call me crazy but I still think we should wait till hopefully after Frazier gets the full throttle for the bowl game to suggest changes in the offensive philosophy. Gus has made mistakes yes but what coach hasn't? The D has grown enough to really make me halt my fire Ted Roof march; although, I am still on the verge here. Am I gonna be pissed if some changes are made on staff? No, but they'd better be an upgrade and some sort of lateral move because with any staff change you have to expect a step back in production.

Guys, I think you are pipe dreaming to think they are going to hand the bowl game to a freshman they just started trusting to throw the ball. I expect the same mish-mash of offense we've seen the back half of the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
Guys, I think you are pipe dreaming to think they are going to hand the bowl game to a freshman they just started trusting to throw the ball. I expect the same mish-mash of offense we've seen the back half of the season.

Hey, don't be knocking my dreams! I have to hope for something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:36 PM »

If they are going to do this, I say open up the competition...give Trotter another chance.  Before the Clemson game, he was by far the best option.  Something screwed with his mind that afternoon, and he hasn't been right since.  If he can get it back mentally, he is a much better QB than Moseley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I don't claim to be an expert, but isn't this whole "Tampa 2" thing predicated on giving up short plays and making teams work the entire field in hopes they'll fuck up somewhere along the line? 

If that's the philosophy, I hate it.

FWIW,  if you put any stock in to what Tony Dungy says about it, and his philosophy, it's an adaptation of the 75 Steelers Steel Curtain Defense, and is supposed to be an aggressive defense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

I just don't see any advantage though to starting Moseley or Trotter. Let Kiehl shake that green off, win or lose. We have to get him seasoned somewhat for next year. If we are relying on Pike alone to save our entire season next year, then we are screwed more than likely and have other issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE