Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A crazy BCS scenario

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
A crazy BCS scenario
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
Follow with me for a moment.

From my understanding only two teams per conference are allowed into the BCS. In other words, one conference can't send 3 teams to BCS bowls under current BCS rules. There are only 10 slots available with 5 BCS conferences. Each conference can presumably only send max two teams each to BCS bowls.

Now here's the scenario.

Currently BCS #1 and #2 is LSU followed by Bama.

We all know LSU beat Bama on Bama's home field. We all know LSU has the better record. We all know LSU played the tougher schedule. We all know LSU had to play one more game than Bama did due to the SECCG.

Now, let's say that somehow Georgia defeats LSU in the SECCG by a late field goal. It was a close game but LSU finally got tripped up. Not at all a bad loss. Because of that Georgia would be the SEC champ and guaranteed their slot in the Sugar bowl leaving only one slot left for an SEC team in the BCS. That brings me to this point. Because of LSU's loss to Georgia they would presumably to drop in the human polls from #1 to at worst #2 right behind Bama who would move up to #1. They wouldn't be punished much but still as a result of the late loss they fall behind Bama. Bama and LSU are STILL #1 and #2 in the BCS standings though.

Who's goes to the title game in that scenario? The thinking is that since LSU has been defacto slotted for that game already since forever that they'd be in, but because of LSU late loss Bama slides into #1 and the BCS is in a mess. They would not only be sending a team to the title game who a)Did not win their conference, b)did not win their division, c)finished no better than third in that respective conference. Furthermore, an even worse slap in the face would be an LSU team that dominated all year and lost only once on a late score having to settle for a NON BCS bowl after they were #1 ALL YEAR. Furthermore, no matter how you slice it #1 or #2 will not be in the BCS title game which is what the BCS was designed to give us due to the two team conference limit. This could be the first time the BCS doesn't give us a #1 vs. #2 matchup.

Can you imagine a team ranked #1 or #2 in the BCS NOT being allowed to play in the title game because of current BCS rules?
Any thoughts? Corrections?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:39:20 PM by Xanusus »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: A crazy BCS scenario
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
No matter what - #1 plays #2 in the BCS championship game. 

If Georgia wins the SECCG, they're in the Sugar.

If Bama and LSU are ranked 1 and 2, they still play the BCSCCG.

It's the only scenario that allows a conference to send three teams to the BCS games.

The bigger travesty will be if Georgia wins and somehow - especially after the computers - LSU slips to #3.  This most likely will not happen as most voters will still rank LSU #2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

EDIT: Nevermind

Here's the wording from the BCS website:

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:57:15 PM by Xanusus »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
My understanding is that conferences can only send a max of two teams to BCS destinations. Am I wrong in that understanding?

This is my understanding too.  Am not aware of any scenario that allows three.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Apparently the SEC could send three teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions