Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Those racist Phi Mu!

JR4AU

Those racist Phi Mu!
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
They should be thrown out of school!

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2011/11/six_university_of_southern_mis.html

HATTIESBURG, Mississippi -- A sorority at the University of Southern Mississippi has placed six members on probation for dressing for a party in blackface as the Huxtable family from the situation comedy, "The Cosby Show.

The "80's" themed social event was sponsored by the USM chapter at an off campus location in Hattiesburg, Miss., last Wednesday. The location wasn't disclosed.

The university and the sorority confirmed the incident Monday in statements released through USM. The students, all members of Phi Mu sorority, have not been publicly identified.

The school and sorority said they will have no other comment while each looks into the matter further.

"Though it is clear that these women had no ill intent, it was also clear that they had little cultural awareness or competency, and did not understand the historical implication of costuming in blackface," said Dean of Students Dr. Eddie Holloway.

The six women have been placed on probation by the national sorority and chapter sanctions will include multiple diversity and cultural competency educational requirements.

The Hattiesburg American reported Monday that it had received a reader's photo of the six women dressed in blackface.

"Though clearly without overt intent, this photo was offensive, insensitive and regrettable, and is counter to the rich appreciation for diversity that marks our student body," Joe Paul, USM's vice president for student affairs, said in a statement.

"The conduct of these members in no way reflects the values and standards of Phi Mu Fraternity," Phi Mu National President Kris Bridges said. "Our chapters are expected to abide by our policies and uphold a values-based culture. I am deeply disappointed by the actions of these members in their choice of costume for the social event."

Paul said the executive officers of Phi Mu and the women involved met Sunday with a group of USM African-American student leaders.

"We thought it important to begin an open dialogue immediately, and all those involved were not only cooperative but open, honest and candid," he said.

Bridges said the incident is being investigated and there could be more disciplinary action. She says the local the chapter will sponsor a campus-wide program on diversity appreciation.

USM is located in south Mississippi about halfway between Jackson and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. USM has an additional campus and teaching and research sites on the Gulf Coast.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Those racist Phi Mu!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Al Jolson weeps.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Too Much for TigersX :)

My opinion is worthless, but we've reached the point to where the only person who can be made fun of is the white male.   Everything else is "offensive." 

Well fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.  If its good enough for Bugs Bunny

and it's good enough for The Wolf in Droopy

And if it's half way good enough for Frank Gorshin in Star Trek

why do we have to brand it now? 

Why can't people laugh at themselves any more?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:00:18 AM by Jumbo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
Because people are dumb.  Hence what spawned this website in the first place.

What if I wanted to go as kareem abdul jabar? 
How could I complete that costume without going blackface with some rec specs? 

This is dumb and the collective need to get the stick out of thine ass.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:06:10 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
 Greg, what is the worst sorority on this campus?

Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.

Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the varsity swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.  And WHO wore blackface costumes to an 80's party.

You're talking about Phi Mu, sir.

Of course I'm talking about Phi Mu, you TWERP!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
Wonder if they would have gotten in trouble if they showed up dressed like cowboys and Indians?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
Wonder if they would have gotten in trouble if they showed up dressed like cowboys and Indians?

If the ones dressed like Indians painted their faces red and the ones dressed as cowboys wore ass-less chaps.....then probably.

But an article would have been written about the red faces only.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
If the ones dressed like Indians painted their faces red and the ones dressed as cowboys wore ass-less chaps.....then probably.

But an article would have been written about the red faces only.

Wait...  Sorority girls in ass-less chaps?  Now, that works for me!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
Yet the girls who showed up as whatever 80s slut - Madonna and her cones, Kylie Minogue, etc. - were not offensive.

I feel really sorry for these girls.  My daughter does not differentiate skin color any more than she does hair color.  "X, my friend with brown hair like me" or "Y, my friend with brown skin" - to her, it is just another descriptive word.  I guarantee she would be as clueless as these bimbos as to why this is offensive.

Seems to me this is some uptight buttlicking old people projecting their own old and outdated fears of racism onto kids who obviously are looking past it all.  How are kids supposed to be colorblind if we teach them to be sensitive to it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Yet the girls who showed up as whatever 80s slut - Madonna and her cones, Kylie Minogue, etc. - were not offensive.

I feel really sorry for these girls.  My daughter does not differentiate skin color any more than she does hair color.  "X, my friend with brown hair like me" or "Y, my friend with brown skin" - to her, it is just another descriptive word.  I guarantee she would be as clueless as these bimbos as to why this is offensive.

Seems to me this is some uptight buttlicking old people projecting their own old and outdated fears of racism onto kids who obviously are looking past it all.  How are kids supposed to be colorblind if we teach them to be sensitive to it?

Nobody is colorblind except colorblind people.  It's an unattainable (and undesirable) standard. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »
Nobody is colorblind except colorblind people.  It's an unattainable (and undesirable) standard.
What? You don't believe in racial utopia?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »

I am one of those colorblind people.  My kids like to make fun of me about it from time to time.  Those little shits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
Let's get back to sorority girls in ass-less chaps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

chinook

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
Let's get back to sorority girls in ass-less chaps.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:52:52 AM »
I am one of those colorblind people.  My kids like to make fun of me about it from time to time.  Those little shits.
If you live in Cullman, then you're not colorblind - everybody looks white there because they are
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »
If you live in Cullman, then you're not colorblind - everybody looks white there because they are

:bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
This is probably 14-15 years ago, but I was working with an insurance company handling claims.  Was sent to Sand Mountain after a big hail storm. Spent a couple of weeks there and after I had been there for a few days, I told the agent riding with me that it just occurred to me that I hadn't seen one black person the whole time I'd been there.  He very matter of factly said, "Oh we've got one black family here.  Now, they certainly don't live in town."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
This is probably 14-15 years ago, but I was working with an insurance company handling claims.  Was sent to Sand Mountain after a big hail storm. Spent a couple of weeks there and after I had been there for a few days, I told the agent riding with me that it just occurred to me that I hadn't seen one black person the whole time I'd been there.  He very matter of factly said, "Oh we've got one black family here.  Now, they certainly don't live in town."

Sounds like Arab. 

They did let a Mexican family move in to open a restaurant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
Sounds like Arab. 

They did let a Mexican family move in to open a restaurant.

Not very familiar with that region of Alley Bama, but I think it's the same general area.  I believe Sand Mountain was right outside Gadsden.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
Not very familiar with that region of Alley Bama, but I think it's the same general area.  I believe Sand Mountain was right outside Gadsden.

it is. 
Same whole lake Guntersville area.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions