Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Best drummer?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Best drummer?
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
:facepalm:

Okay, I'm pretty sure the Ringo Starr post was a bit sarcastic.  I wee bit of humor.
I figured yours was sarcasm. I didn't give AUTiger1 the same benefit of the doubt considering he (and Meg White) were listed in a long list of legitimately good drummers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »
:facepalm:

Okay, I'm pretty sure the Ringo Starr post was a bit sarcastic.  I wee bit of humor.

You're still ghey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
Let me add Fred LeBlanc from Cowboy Mouth to the list also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
These are without question, the wrong answer. Under any criteria you can come up with.

And I love the White Stripes and the Beatles.

Disagree, Ringo wasn't the greatest, but he was underrated imo.  He did his job to perfection every time.  He kept the tempo and beat.  Always stayed in a perfect rhythm and is said to be the most consistent guy out there.  Despite 1000's of hours of performance and studio time, there are only a handful of times that he was off.   He does what is needed to make the music good.  That to me makes him a great drummer

Meg White........she is in there b/c I couldn't think of any other female drummers and tried to put one in there.  Plus she has great tits.  That counts for something doesn't it?

Seriously, I don't think she has the technical proficiency that others listed ITT have, but that doesn't mean she is a bad drummer.   Go back and listen to some of her work with the Raconteurs.   Pretty damn good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
Scratch that, I didn't realize that Meg White was not the drummer for the Raconteurs.  Apparently she made a guest appearance once on a video and I assumed that she was the drummer.   Since I only have her White Stripes work to go on.  I can only give her credit for having a great rack and keeping a simple sound for them.  Nothing special.  Other than her great tits.   Please remove.  Now Ringo, I still think Ringo is better than most give him credit for. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
In terms of changing how "cool" drummers were, Ringo is tops.  However, and I mean this as no disrespect to him, he, at least in my opinion, isn't as good as someone like Neal Peart or Keith Moon or John Bonham.

But without Ringo, there probably isn't a Neal Peart, or Keith Moon, or John Bonham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
In terms of changing how "cool" drummers were, Ringo is tops.  However, and I mean this as no disrespect to him, he, at least in my opinion, isn't as good as someone like Neal Peart or Keith Moon or John Bonham.

But without Ringo, there probably isn't a Neal Peart, or Keith Moon, or John Bonham.

I kind of feel about Ringo how Koas does about Ace.  Ace is not the best by any means imo, but he was good at what he did and helped make the music what it was.  Perfect fit for his style.  I have seen a lot of better string benders than Ace, but I don't know if they could pull of what he did.  Simplistic. Ringo is the same way to me.  Sure there many that are better, but I don't know if they could have done what he did in that situation.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
I kind of feel about Ringo how Koas does about Ace.  Ace is not the best by any means imo, but he was good at what he did and helped make the music what it was.  Perfect fit for his style.  I have seen a lot of better string benders than Ace, but I don't know if they could pull of what he did.  Simplistic. Ringo is the same way to me.  Sure there many that are better, but I don't know if they could have done what he did in that situation.

Re-read the title of the thread. Purely....the BEST.

Not 'pound for pound', not 'did the most with what he had' , 'underrated', or 'good at what he did'.......

Objectively, the best all around drummer has to be John Bonham - skill/talent, diversity, speed, dynamic, star power. Guy had it all. I cant list any other drummer that has it all. Keith Moon and Neal Pearlt are close but Pearlt is a little more niche and Moon was a little less refined than Bonzo.

With that said, I think Ringo is one cool motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »
Objectively, the best all around drummer has to be John Bonham - skill/talent, diversity, speed, dynamic, star power. Guy had it all. I cant list any other drummer that has it all. Keith Moon and Neal Pearlt are close but Pearlt is a little more niche and Moon was a little less refined than Bonzo.

I'd also add that in addition to being a bad ass mother fucker on drums, Peart writes most of the Rush songs.

Personal preference, but I'd take him over Bonham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
Peart writes most of the Rush songs.

Not a point in his favor in my book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
I'd also add that in addition to being a bad ass mother fucker on drums, Peart writes most of the Rush songs.

Personal preference, but I'd take him over Bonham.

I think I'd have to agree here. Nothing against Bonham by any means but Peart, to me, is the type that would make you buy the bands album just to hear him play the shit out of the drums.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
I think I'd have to agree here. Nothing against Bonham by any means but Peart, to me, is the type that would make you buy the bands album just to hear him play the shit out of the drums.

Yes but Bonham was the one who would give you a set of their albums to get stoned to.

Advantage Bonham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
Yes but Bonham was the one who would give you a set of their albums to get stoned to.

Advantage Bonham.

Werd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »
Disagree, Ringo wasn't the greatest, but he was underrated imo.  He did his job to perfection every time.  He kept the tempo and beat.  Always stayed in a perfect rhythm and is said to be the most consistent guy out there.  Despite 1000's of hours of performance and studio time, there are only a handful of times that he was off.   He does what is needed to make the music good.  That to me makes him a great drummer
Agree to disagree. If the only criteria is to do nothing special, but keep a steady simple rhythm that gels well with what the rest of the band is doing, give me AC/DC's Phil Rudd.

Meg White........she is in there b/c I couldn't think of any other female drummers and tried to put one in there.  Plus she has great tits.  That counts for something doesn't it?

Seriously, I don't think she has the technical proficiency that others listed ITT have, but that doesn't mean she is a bad drummer.   Go back and listen to some of her work with the Raconteurs.   Pretty damn good.
I guess I didn't think that all the way through when I said "based on any criteria". Probably the best tits of all rock drummers (best tits in rock in general go to Nashville Pussy's Ruyter Suys).

But Meg is all crash, snare, and kick. And basically the same stale "beat" in every song. Anyone that considers themselves a drummer in any capacity could do better. The White Stripes consist of Jack being amazing in spite of Meg.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »

Advantage Bonham.

Points! Nothing like free drums and free wee.....wait, does the weed come with the drums?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Re-read the title of the thread. Purely....the BEST.

Not 'pound for pound', not 'did the most with what he had' , 'underrated', or 'good at what he did'.......

With that said, I think Ringo is one cool motherfucker.

Ok then.

John Bonham

/thread

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
Ok then.

John Bonham

/thread

Sorry man, tl;dr

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »

Advantage Bonham.

Did you hear about Bonham's 2 hour drum solo?  You couldn't handle that on strong acid, man.

And I don't know if he's on here or not, but Topper Headon from the Clash is right up there with anyone.  Just listen to their version of "I Fought the Law".  Awesomeness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions