Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

AU Basketball Cranking Up

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
AU Basketball Cranking Up
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Roundball has sort of flown under the radar, and rightfully so.  For a variety of reasons, this program has struggled for a long, long time.  Unfortunately, it's pretty much always been that way.  With the exception of the odd run here and there, when the moon and stars and the Chris Porter's line up, Auburn arguably has the worst overall basketball program in SEC history. So, why get excited? 

Last year, the long overdue new arena was opened and a new coach is in place.  Barbee was doing all the right things, getting out and meeting the people, trying to drum up support for this anemic program and most importantly, recruiting his back side off.  He gets commitments from several top flight players that could make this club competitive right off the bat but alas, this is Auburn basketball, and for a variety of reasons, none of them made it to campus.  Then, the starting point, Frankie Sullivan, is lost for the season and Auburn fans are again treated to a band of misfits that can't ball with the Samford's, Troy's and Presbyterian's of the world.

Is there room for hope?  Has to be.  There's nowhere to go but up.  A few things stood out to me in watching last year's squad.  First, they always played hard. Second, they played tenacious defense, which Barbee has said will be the staple of this team again.  Also, they actually looked like they had a purpose on oiffense, with constant motion and real live plays and stuff....unlike Lebo's two passes and launch the first available, or unavailable 3.  Problem was, the talent level of Auburn's players was so far behind everyone else, they just couldn't match up with anyone they played.  Honestly, I have no idea if this version will be better but a simple check of the roster and some of the bio's of these players suggests this club may be a little more competitive.

They have Sullivan back along with guys like Josh Langford and Kenny Gabriel and some pretty impressive freshmen.  It appears this squad will have decent size with a few guys at 6'10" and several more at 6'7" and 6'8".  6'10" fouling machine, Rob Chubb is back but experince can only make him better.  The home schedule looks like teh sux but overall, the OOC schedule looks decent with teams like Seton Hall, South Florida, Kansas State, Xavier, Clemson and FSU.  Some of those are teams included in tourneys Auburn will be in. 

It may just be more of the same old, same old, but I have a feeling this team could be pretty good.  I like Barbee so far and the way he handles the club.  The interview I read with him after the first couple of practices has him .     
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:41:50 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: AU Basketball Cranking Up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
I'm predicting 20.

Not sure if it will be wins or losses but 20 is a solid number.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
I'm predicting 20.

I like the way you think, Mister.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
When is the first game?  Who do we play?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
Auburn arguably has the worst overall basketball program in SEC history. So, why get excited?   

We aren't the absolute worst if you go by winning percentage, and we can look forward to being a little bit better of a program that TAMU when they decide to join! You getting excited now?

1   Kentucky   76%
2   Arkansas   64%
3   Alabama   62%
4   Tennessee   61%
5   Vanderbilt   59%
6   LSU   57%
7   Miss St   55%
8   Florida   54%
9   Auburn   54%
10   South Carolina   53%
11   Texas AM   52%
12   Georgia   52%
13   Ole Miss   49%
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »

We aren't the absolute worst if you go by winning percentage, and we can look forward to being a little bit better of a program that TAMU when they decide to join! You getting excited now?

1   Kentucky   76%
2   Arkansas   64%
3   Alabama   62%
4   Tennessee   61%
5   Vanderbilt   59%
6   LSU   57%
7   Miss St   55%
8   Florida   54%
9   Auburn   54%
10   South Carolina   53%
11   Texas AM   52%
12   Georgia   52%
13   Ole Miss   49%

Glad you posted that. I was gonna guess that Ole Miss was the worst.

Fla might would be if not for their recent 10 year string of success.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
I was under the impression aTm was good for some reason. That was one of the selling points I was told as to why they're a worthy addition to the SEC.

Ole Miss is really terrible at everything. I would like to see aTm just replace Ole Miss and fuck Mizzou.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
I was under the impression aTm was good for some reason. That was one of the selling points I was told as to why they're a worthy addition to the SEC.

Ole Miss is really terrible at everything. I would like to see aTm just replace Ole Miss and fuck Mizzou.

I think that conversation was revolving around foosball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
I think that conversation was revolving around foosball.
That conversation was, but I was also told "Look at how good they are at baseball and basketball".

I guess they've been in the tournament the last six years in a row, all of which they won the first game. Made it to the Sweet 16 in 07. I guess that's decent. Looks like they sucked until 2006.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »
When is the first game?  Who do we play?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

Google is a miracle drug for info.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer

djsimp

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
It's more fun to make you guys do it.  <3
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
It's more fun to make you guys do it.  <3

Is that what you tell VV when you are too lazy to spank off?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
Is that what you tell VV when you are too lazy to spank off?
That's Inter-species erotica, fuck-o.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
I'm predicting 20.

We still have a basketball team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
We still have a basketball team?

Yeah, they've got uniforms and everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.