Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Small batch bourbons

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Small batch bourbons
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »
Anyone have any delicious coke product I could borrow?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
Found out some interesting news today.  I always thought that Old Rip Van Winkle was it's own distillery but was not.  It was a company owned by Van Winkles and was distilled and bottled by Stitzel-Weller.  Stitzel-Weller closed it's doors in 92 and this is the last year you can get the "original" 20 year and 2015 for the 23 year.  The releases after that will be from Buffalo Trace and they will replace the rye with wheat.

This is a good and bad thing.  Bad b/c I want a bottle for a mantle piece so I can look down on people like the asshole I am, and good b/c trace products are easy for the stores around here to order.  Also bad that they are replacing the old recipe, which is up for debate as well, and I don't know if it will be the same.

Supposedly the originals came from a stock from distilleries that Old Van Winkle company bought up and used.  Took all the reserves and mixed them together to make the special reserve line.  So truly the "original" will be gone before too long.  Also "experts" are thinking the new line from Buffalo Trace will be very good, just not God Tier whiskey like the current line.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
Also disappointed in the lack of updates from a couple of fellow burrbinz lovers......Looking at you Snaggle and Mark Chand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
Also disappointed in the lack of updates from a couple of fellow burrbinz lovers......Looking at you Snaggle and Mark Chand.

I have a confession to make, I haven't had the first burb since football has started..... :facepalm:

Game 1 we were flying to beach, didn't arrive to the condo until kick off, no time to make a bottle pick up
Games 2 & 3, too early for me to partake in the the sweet corn nectar. Went with Bloody Marys.
Game 4, Played 18 that afternoon, heavy beer drinking that day and stuck with beer for the night.

So you can put the blame for the piss-poor performance of our team squarely on my shoulders, I've broken the mojo...

My bourbon reserve has been sparse as of late, I'm sitting on a bootle of Booker's(can't indulge in that too often), Baker's (Booker's little brother, still ass kicking at 107 proof), and a bottle of pure piss water they call Devil's Cut, I share that with people I don't really like.

I still haven't located a proper bourbon honeyhole in the area where I can pick up really nice stuff, the search will continue....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »

As a matter of fact, stopped by my lick her store last night and the owner....as he is apt to do...let me sample 3 different burrbinz he got in that day.  Over ice and no delicious coke product.  Wish I had on the first one.  Burned so bad I forgot the name of it.  One called Sam Houston was quite nice and the third, Stetson, was pretty meh.  Enjoyed the Sam Houston.  Drove home wondering what my blood alcohol was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
I have a confession to make, I haven't had the first burb since football has started..... :facepalm:

Game 1 we were flying to beach, didn't arrive to the condo until kick off, no time to make a bottle pick up
Games 2 & 3, too early for me to partake in the the sweet corn nectar. Went with Bloody Marys.
Game 4, Played 18 that afternoon, heavy beer drinking that day and stuck with beer for the night.

So you can put the blame for the piss-poor performance of our team squarely on my shoulders, I've broken the mojo...

My bourbon reserve has been sparse as of late, I'm sitting on a bootle of Booker's(can't indulge in that too often), Baker's (Booker's little brother, still ass kicking at 107 proof), and a bottle of pure piss water they call Devil's Cut, I share that with people I don't really like.

I still haven't located a proper bourbon honeyhole in the area where I can pick up really nice stuff, the search will continue....

What area are you in?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »
What area are you in?

Just north of Greensboro, NC. I work over the border in Virginia, prime moonshine country. I've been promised fine Franklin county shine but no one has delivered just yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
So last night, I picked up a bottle of Basil Hayden. Upon opening the bottle, I immediately detected a hint of cinnamon and polmegranite.  It poured up in the Auburn stadium cup a deep golden brown and seemed to take on a more oreganoey aroma. As I added the coke product, the color turned a more chocolatey doo doo brown, but lightened as the ice cubes kerplunked in.  I shook the cup lightly and was pleasantly surprised by a fizzy, sort of bubbly popping, crackling noise.  Of course, the added coke product produced the wafting scent of a young school boys soiled undergarments.  The first sip started smooth but then exploded into a cornucopia of carbonationey meat marinades.  The finish elicited fond memories of afternoon showers with the football team. 

I'd have to give it a solid B+     

I am catching up on this thread as I have been exploring the burbonz as of late. 

Question to the esteemed counselor from Dothan.  Why do you spend so much on stuff like Basil Haydens if you are going to mix it with Coke?   

Seriously, though.  I have always been a huge rum drinker.  Sometimes I want a cuba libre...but I am not going to pour coke into my Zaya, that is when I'll pull out the Captain.  Zaya only gets a couple of ice cubes. I have had all different types of rum mixed with coke product and for the most part unless it is spiced or clear rum there is not a huge difference.  So I ask again, why an (more) expensive bottle of  Whiskey if you are going to mix it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
I am catching up on this thread as I have been exploring the burbonz as of late. 

Question to the esteemed counselor from Dothan.  Why do you spend so much on stuff like Basil Haydens if you are going to mix it with Coke?   

Seriously, though.  I have always been a huge rum drinker.  Sometimes I want a cuba libre...but I am not going to pour coke into my Zaya, that is when I'll pull out the Captain.  Zaya only gets a couple of ice cubes. I have had all different types of rum mixed with coke product and for the most part unless it is spiced or clear rum there is not a huge difference.  So I ask again, why an (more) expensive bottle of  Whiskey if you are going to mix it?

Honestly, I guess that's just the way I was raised. My mom and pops always came home from work, turned on the 6:00 news and eased back with a CC and 7.  If they drank anything else, it was something like a screwdriver or a Bloody Mary.  You just mixed stuff.  I never really took the time to try and develop a taste for any liquor straight up.  In college, it wasn't about enjoying the flavors or intracasies of a fine bourbon or rum.  It was about making it taste good so you could get toe up from da' flo up.

Over the last year or so, I've been going to a lick her store a friend of mine opened.  A couple of times a week, he'll pour us up a glass or 3 over ice.  Mostly different bourbons he's gotten in and wants to try.  I'll admit, I've found a few that are fairly enjoyable with nothing more than a melted cube or two to dilute it.  But I still find about 3/4 or 67% of them too harsh to make me want to sit down and enjoy sipping on them. One that stood out the other day was a Woodforde Double Oak.  Actually had real flavor and no burn on the finish.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Honestly, I guess that's just the way I was raised. My mom and pops always came home from work, turned on the 6:00 news and eased back with a CC and 7.  If they drank anything else, it was something like a screwdriver or a Bloody Mary.  You just mixed stuff.  I never really took the time to try and develop a taste for any liquor straight up.  In college, it wasn't about enjoying the flavors or intracasies of a fine bourbon or rum.  It was about making it taste good so you could get toe up from da' flo up.

Over the last year or so, I've been going to a lick her store a friend of mine opened.  A couple of times a week, he'll pour us up a glass or 3 over ice.  Mostly different bourbons he's gotten in and wants to try.  I'll admit, I've found a few that are fairly enjoyable with nothing more than a melted cube or two to dilute it.  But I still find about 3/4 or 67% of them too harsh to make me want to sit down and enjoy sipping on them. One that stood out the other day was a Woodforde Double Oak.  Actually had real flavor and no burn on the finish.   

A thread about drinikng and this^^^^^  Explains a lot of stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
A thread about drinikng and this^^^^^  Explains a lot of stuff.

My mom and dad always diluted the bourbon in my baby bottle with delicious coke product or sprite.  You really expect a 6 month old to hit Jack Daniels straight up?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
My mom and dad always diluted the bourbon in my baby bottle with delicious coke product or sprite.  You really expect a 6 month old to hit Jack Daniels straight up?

A real baby man would have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
A real baby man would have.

Whathefuckevah. I'll bet you didn't even start til you were 2.  So there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Honestly, I guess that's just the way I was raised.

Cheers sir for keeping traditions alive!

I assumed it was the lack of balls that lead to the mixing with fine coke products....

Currently enjoying a fine glass of Bulleit Frontier Whiskey, on the rocks of course
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

I assumed it was the lack of balls that lead to the mixing with fine coke products....

Currently enjoying a fine glass of Bulleit Frontier Whiskey, on the rocks of course

This is also known as "doing it correctly."  I do not deduct points for ice, some are better on ice others are better neat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »

It's 3:26 you damn alkey. 

And I'm stuck at work...not drinking.  Damn it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
It's 3:26 you damn alkey. 

And I'm stuck at work...not drinking.  Damn it.

It's 4:26 eastern time, I love short Fridays!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
I have no problems with you mixing.  To each their own. I'm just curious as to why you would go high end with a mixer involved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »
I have no problems with you mixing.  To each their own. I'm just curious as to why you would go high end with a mixer involved.

I used to mix when I was in college. Granted I was drinking KY Gentlemen and Old Crow at $13 for half a gallon.  I remember waking up one morning hungover so bad that I told myself, "once you get out of school and get a real job, no more cheap shit." and I have kept that promise to myself.  I haven't bought a bottle of cheap shit other than to cook with.

I am kind of like Michaleen Flynn from Quite man: "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water. "  I love the taste of the charred oak, the burn of the spices and the nutty, toffee flavors that you get from your higher end bourbons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
I used to mix when I was in college. Granted I was drinking KY Gentlemen and Old Crow at $13 for half a gallon.  I remember waking up one morning hungover so bad that I told myself, "once you get out of school and get a real job, no more cheap shoot." and I have kept that promise to myself.  I haven't bought a bottle of cheap shoot other than to cook with.

I am kind of like Michaleen Flynn from Quite man: "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water. "  I love the taste of the charred oak, the burn of the spices and the nutty, toffee flavors that you get from your higher end bourbons.

The sticky sweetness of the high fructose corn sugar goes well with all the above - signed Snaggie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.