Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Small batch bourbons

Re: Small batch bourbons
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
If any of you get the chance you need to try Moose Drool.  It is an brown ale that is from Big Sky brewery in Montana.  It is one of the best beers I have ever drank.  Kansas is the only place I have seen it though. 

From their website,

That first taste, the best part of a beer after a long day. We want to make that better than ever. So we made Moose Drool. The name sounds a little iffy, but it's really the best Brown Ale you'll ever taste. That's why Moose Drool is far and away the best-selling beer brewed in Montana.

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and WILLAMETTE HOPS. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

I'll have to look for that.  I don't normally care too much for brown ales but if this one has a little more hops to it it might be good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
I normally would stay away from Jim Beam but this intrigues me.  Anybody have any yet?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
I normally would stay away from Jim Beam but this intrigues me.  Anybody have any yet?

Haven't had any of this yet but it seems like an interesting drink. I have to agree that I normally steer clear of the standard Beam products. Beam does do a nice job on their small batch products. Booker's has kicked my ass on several occasions. I'm sipping on Baker's right now, it's pretty damn good!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »

It does look intriguing. But I also think its good marketing. I saw some of it at the Lick-her store this past weekend when I was picking up some Crown Reserve.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
I fell victim to the clever marketing and picked up a bottle of Devil's Cut. It's bitter as hell! Save yourself the time and money and steer clear of this crap. This bottle is destined to meet a fine Coke product to make it palatable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I fell victim to the clever marketing and picked up a bottle of Devil's Cut. It's bitter as hell! Save yourself the time and money and steer clear of this crap. This bottle is destined to meet a fine Coke product to make it palatable.

I war afraid that snaggle would be a fan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »

Thanks....saves me the temptation. Should have known with that name it would be edgy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
Thanks....saves me the temptation. Should have known with that name it would be edgy.

If you can find it in a mini or pint bottle you might want to try it for yourself. I found it to be much too harsh, the heavy oak flavor was too much for me. The real pisser is that I bought a fifth for $23. Hell, I couldn't had a much better bourbon or whiskey in that price range.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2012, 03:05:55 PM »
So either MarkChand is on the wagon or he has died from too much consumption.

I know I have mentioned it here before, but I haven't had any Makers or Eagle Rare in a while now.  Elijah Craig has been my go to bourbon here recently.  12 year is mighty tasty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

I know I have mentioned it here before, but I haven't had any Makers or Eagle Rare in a while now.  Elijah Craig has been my go to bourbon here recently.  12 year is mighty tasty.

Took a bottle of Jefferson's to the lake this weekend.  Didn't come back with any.  Can't take credit for consumming all of it, though.  Poured out two good stiffies.  Once because I had mixed one up, went outside to grill and by the time I got everything all set up and the fire going, the 96 degree weather had melted all the ice and it weren't fit to drink.  The other was Saturday night.  We had kind of sort of been drinking most of the day and night.  Late that evening, there was a gathering of some friends a couple of cabins down.  In my wisdom, I thought I needed one more, so I mixed one up and headed down there.  20 minutes later, I'm falling asleep on their porch..full drink in hand.  I went to bed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »

I'm still around and kicking. Haven't been able to sample anything new in a while. I recently moved up to North Carolina leaving behind my favorite beverage emporium in Columbia, SC.  The local liquor stores only carry the basics. I have to scout around Greensboro(25 mile south of here) to find a new hotspot.

One interesting fact, about 5 miles from my front door is the joint: http://www.catdaddymoonshine.com/

You can't buy direct from the distillery, but the package store a few blocks away usually has their goods.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I'm still around and kicking. Haven't been able to sample anything new in a while. I recently moved up to North Carolina leaving behind my favorite beverage emporium in Columbia, SC.  The local liquor stores only carry the basics. I have to scout around Greensboro(25 mile south of here) to find a new hotspot.

One interesting fact, about 5 miles from my front door is the joint: http://www.catdaddymoonshine.com/

You can't buy direct from the distillery, but the package store a few blocks away usually has their goods.

Well...................Have you tired it yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
Well...................Have you tired it yet?

I'm scared.....I'm actually holding out for a bottle of Junior Johnson's shine. The local shop was out of the plain last time I was in there. They had the fruit flavored versions but I want to try regular stuff first, although it is cut down to 80 proof.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
I'm scared.....I'm actually holding out for a bottle of Junior Johnson's shine. The local shop was out of the plain last time I was in there. They had the fruit flavored versions but I want to try regular stuff first, although it is cut down to 80 proof.

Simple solution.  Buy a bottle of both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
Simple solution.  Buy a bottle of both.

Solid advice! They had the JJ regular today plus I grabbed a jar of blueberry. The blueberry actually checks in at 100 proof. I'll test drive them after the chilrens hit the bed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
The Junior Johnson Midnight Moon was nice and smooth but really lacked any distinct flavor. There was the faintest hint of corn but for the most part it was like a nice vodka. On the other hand, the blueberry was mighty tasty! A good three finger pour put me right to bed last night.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:51:13 PM by MarkChand »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2012, 01:17:20 AM »
The Junior Johnson Midnight Moon was nice and smooth but really lacked any distinct flavor. There was the faintest hint of corn but for the most part it was like a nice vodka. On the other hand, the blueberry was mighty tasty! A good three finger pore put me right to bed last night.

I started to pick up a bottle today of the Midnight moon and remembered what you said.  I just went with a standard stop of Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare.  The Jefferson's Reserve caught my eye, but at $50 a 750ml made me rethink that decision. Had a bottle of Bulleit not long ago.  Not bad stuff, not bad at all.

Here lately I have been drinking a lot of the Craig.  So smooth for a 94 proof. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
I started to pick up a bottle today of the Midnight moon and remembered what you said.  I just went with a standard stop of Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare.  The Jefferson's Reserve caught my eye, but at $50 a 750ml made me rethink that decision. Had a bottle of Bulleit not long ago.  Not bad stuff, not bad at all.

Elijah Craig is 12 year is now my go to bourbon, you just can't go wrong with it. The guy at the local liqour store said the E. Craig 18 year was the best bottle of bourbon they have in the store. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, it's in the $50 range also. Why pay $50 for one great bottle when you can get two very good bottles for the same price?

Another bourbon that I tried recently, quite similar to E. Craig, is 1792 Ridegmont Reserve. Same price point as Craig. Give it a shot if you ever see it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »

Looking forward to sipping on some fine whiskey on July 4th. Haven't had a lot of alcohol lately due to it being running/race season, but I think I'm gonna not worry about that for one day. That is if Simp doesn't drink it all up before I get to it. Because he damn sure about did it Iron Bowl 2010. Fun night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE