Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

NCAA May Drop Scholarship Limit From 85 to 80

JR4AU

Re: NCAA May Drop Scholarship Limit From 85 to 80
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
What will they lower the per year number to?

Right now you have 25 X 4 classes = 100 scholarship guys IF you don't redshirt anyone.

It gets worse when you have 25 X 5 classes = 125 scholarship people.

If teams have to get to 80 instead of 85, the "processing" program will get even worse.

I'm speculating, but I bet if there's a place that has the numbers, you'd find very few programs that have the full 85. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »
Which means they're also like tiny women with feathers.

How would you know?  Odds are good you've been closer to an owl more recently than you've been anywhere near a woman.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:26:01 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
How would you know?  Odds are good you've been closer to an owl more recently than you've been anywhere near a woman.

Umm, excuse me...AWK totally has a vagina.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »
Doesn't he and AWK share an office, among other things?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
I'm speculating, but I bet if there's a place that has the numbers, you'd find very few programs that have the full 85.

Just from a theoretical/mathematical point of view, there are 11 players on offense and 11 on defense.  In order to have a first, second, and third string for each position, that's 66 players.  Your special teams are often mostly made up of offensive and defensive bench warmers, but even if you add another 11 players specifically for special teams (with special teams backups being comprised of second and third string offensive and defensive players), that's 77 players total.

Now, this doesn't take into account your "rotation" in the starting offense and defense for positions which will be involved with some plays but not others, such as receivers, running backs, defensive secondary positions, etc.  But it also doesn't take into account that a lot of your third stringers/walk-ons (and maybe even some second stringers) are likely not on scholarship.  Nor does it take into account the fact that not every position will be three players deep.  And it overestimates the number of players you have that are solely for special teams.

So, yeah...without having actual numbers in front of me, I'd also have to agree that it's unlikely that most schools are using the max number of scholarships as it is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
As a clarification, there's obviously going to be more than 77 players on the roster as a whole.  I think teams usually have around 100, but a lot of those are so far down the list that they're just scout team fodder.  Realistically, the number of players who are an active part of the regular gameplay, or are otherwise likely to have to step in if a player(s) is injured or needs a breather, is probably between 60 and 70.

I'm not an AD or a coach, but I don't think the scout team and third string backups are the players who would be getting scholarships.  So I still think 77 is an overestimation of the number of players who receive athletic scholarships.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
Just from a theoretical/mathematical point of view, there are 11 players on offense and 11 on defense.  In order to have a first, second, and third string for each position, that's 66 players.  Your special teams are often mostly made up of offensive and defensive bench warmers, but even if you add another 11 players specifically for special teams (with special teams backups being comprised of second and third string offensive and defensive players), that's 77 players total.

Now, this doesn't take into account your "rotation" in the starting offense and defense for positions which will be involved with some plays but not others, such as receivers, running backs, defensive secondary positions, etc.  But it also doesn't take into account that a lot of your third stringers/walk-ons (and maybe even some second stringers) are likely not on scholarship.  Nor does it take into account the fact that not every position will be three players deep.  And it overestimates the number of players you have that are solely for special teams.

So, yeah...without having actual numbers in front of me, I'd also have to agree that it's unlikely that most schools are using the max number of scholarships as it is.

As a clarification, there's obviously going to be more than 77 players on the roster as a whole.  I think teams usually have around 100, but a lot of those are so far down the list that they're just scout team fodder.  Realistically, the number of players who are an active part of the regular gameplay, or are otherwise likely to have to step in if a player(s) is injured or needs a breather, is probably between 60 and 70.

I'm not an AD or a coach, but I don't think the scout team and third string backups are the players who would be getting scholarships.  So I still think 77 is an overestimation of the number of players who receive athletic scholarships.

So then when you take the square of the right leg of the obtuse parallelogram times the Pythagoreum theorum, then divide by pi and add the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, the resulting proof will still contain fewer words than any reply ever posted on the X by Vandy Vol.

It's Friday night, dude.  At least I can blame my kids.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:29:07 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »

So then when you take the square of the right leg of the obtuse parallelogram times the Pythagoreum theorum, then divide by pi and add the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, the resulting proof will still contain fewer words than any reply ever posted on the X by Vandy Vol.

It's Friday night, dude.  At least I can blame my kids.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!  Just don't grind your feet on my damn couch...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »

Besides that, you can only dress like 60 players. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
Besides that, you can only dress like 60 players.

Yeah, I think that's determined by the conferences.  Usually the traveling team is limited to about 60 dressed players (the exact number will differ with each conference).  The home team is given a little more leeway...or, at least, that's what I've heard.  I've never actually seen a written rule on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
BTW, I'm not saying this is a good thing.  It will create just a little more level playing field for the lesser teams.  Teams like Troy, UAB, USF, etc, will gain ground ever so slightly in the talent race. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
BTW, I'm not saying this is a good thing.  It will create just a little more level playing field for the lesser teams.  Teams like Troy, UAB, USF, etc, will gain ground ever so slightly in the talent race.

Your 5,000th post referenced Troy, UAB, and USF football.

How does that make you feel?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
Your 5,000th post referenced Troy, UAB, and USF football.

How does that make you feel?

Not nearly as good as when I find some wench willing to suck my dick and leave with no conversation required.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:10 AM »
Not nearly as good as when I find some wench willing to suck my dick and leave with no conversation required.

That can be arranged...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Do you think maybe that they might even one day do more that he sometimes does?

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions