Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Qwikster

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Qwikster
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
What's Qwikster, you say?  Well, it's the most awesome service ever!  You get DVDs in the mail!  And video games!  And...wait...someone just fucked me...

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

That link goes to a blog maintained by Netflix.  In case you don't want to bother reading it (but I would suggest doing so if you're a Netflix customer), Netflix is announcing that they are splitting up their DVD-by-mail and streaming services.

No, they're not just changing the prices again.  No, they're not splitting your current fees into two separate fees for both services.

Rather, Netflix is splitting into two companies:  Netflix and Qwikster.  Two different websites.  Two different fees.  Two different queues.  Two completely different companies.

Fucking.  Stupid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Qwikster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
Meh. 
All I heard in that article was blah blah blah, we still don't have a division that handles the tripple X needs of our customers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
Meh. 
All I heard in that article was blah blah blah, we still don't have a division that handles the tripple X needs of our customers.

That's what I don't understand.  They had a DVD division and a streaming division.  The guy who was head of the DVD division is becoming CEO of Qwikster.

To me, you would think that the start-up costs (especially advertising costs) for creating a new company would be much higher than simply expanding your existing divisions.

The only thing I can figure is that there was a disagreement on how to run the company, and so they've split.  Otherwise, I don't see why they just couldn't expand the DVD and streaming divisions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Well they are also trying to go after the gamefly dollar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
RedBox is  #winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
Well they are also trying to go after the gamefly dollar.

True, but the manner in which they've decided to do so is going to alienate their customers.  Kind of hard to go after anyone else's dollar when you lose your current customer base.

I would assume that the majority of Netflix customers use both the DVD and streaming features.  This is mostly due to the fact that you can't get newer releases via the streaming method.

Aside from that, the second largest group of customers is probably made up of people who don't have the internet connection and/or devices which allow them to stream.  Those people probably only get the DVD service.

So, Netflix is going to lose all of its revenue from DVD only customers, as they won't be offering that service anymore.  Those people who don't want to maintain and pay for two separate accounts with two separate companies will probably cancel one or both accounts, leaving Qwikster and/or Netflix with less of the market.

I understand the idea of focusing on each separate service so as to increase revenue, and even to take money from other services like GameFly.  I just don't see why there couldn't have been a division of labor within one company, instead of splitting the whole thing into two companies, thereby pissing off customers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
I subscribe to the bit-torrent service.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
I subscribe to the bit-torrent service.

I like receiving red envelopes in the mail.  I don't like receiving dozens of cease and desist letters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
True, but the manner in which they've decided to do so is going to alienate their customers.  Kind of hard to go after anyone else's dollar when you lose your current customer base.

I would assume that the majority of Netflix customers use both the DVD and streaming features.  This is mostly due to the fact that you can't get newer releases via the streaming method.

Well you may assume wrong.  I personally only use it to stream.  of course maybe I am the minority.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
Meh. 

cough...cough...cough...

:hop:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »
cough...cough...cough...

:hop:

I'll gladly donate once you have it streaming......and by streaming I'm not talking about the golden type.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
I'll gladly donate once you have it streaming......and by streaming I'm not talking about the golden type.

I can take about an hour on the tower of power, as long as I gets a little golden shower.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
Well you may assume wrong.  I personally only use it to stream.  of course maybe I am the minority.

My assumptions are never wrong.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
My assumptions are never wrong.

What constitutes having both though?  Technically we have both but I bet it's been 6-9 months since we have gotten one by mail.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »
What constitutes having both though?  Technically we have both but I bet it's been 6-9 months since we have gotten one by mail.

I'm assuming if you pay for the service, then you're considered as being a subscriber.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
So, is the Netflix App on Xbox live and other platforms still going to work?  Or do we have to wait for a Qwikster app?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
So, is the Netflix App on Xbox live and other platforms still going to work?  Or do we have to wait for a Qwikster app?

Qwikster will be their DVD-by-mail service.  Netflix is still the streaming service.

Because the name and domain aren't changing for their streaming service, I'm assuming everything is going to continue to operate as normally when it comes to devices with the Netflix app.  The only thing that the blog mentioned was that there would be a "substantial" amount of new streaming content coming in the next few months.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
I like receiving red envelopes in the mail.  I don't like receiving dozens of cease and desist letters.

Agreed.  This will fuck my reviews all to hell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
Why does this come to mind?

And... does Blockbuster now make a move?  They could replace Netquix easily for me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
So netflix was charging me 9.99 a month for unlimited streaming and 1 dvd at a time.  That was plenty for me, always had a looney toons or tom & jerry movie on disc.  But I never intended to pay over 10.00 a month.  Then those fuckers decide to bump prices up 90% for the same service??

Fuck Net flix.  Their stock has taken a massive hit over that bullshit which is why I'm guessing they've decided to pull these bullshit shenanigans.  I hope they have to file bankruptcy and lay off all their employees. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions