Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rice Band Hits Aggie Nail on Head

Rice Band Hits Aggie Nail on Head
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
There's nothing quite like smack talk from the band during halftime.

Conference realignment makes for comedy fodder for Rice's Marching Owl Band.

The irreverent group known as the MOB turned heads Saturday by spelling out "$EC" during halftime of Rice's 34-9 loss to Texas in Austin. Photos of the formation went viral.

It's a dig at Texas A&M for bailing out of the Big 12 and likely moving to the SEC. But it can also be read as a statement on college athletics.

Rice Band
Rice's Marching Owl Band likes to make a point, such as this formation at Texas' stadium on Saturday.

"Topical humor is certainly something we do a lot of," says MOB director Chuck Throckmorton, 47. "It was really an Aggie reference, but once it's out there, people can draw their own conclusions. What we were heading for is it's a pretty odd development that amateur athletics has become all about money."

There's a long, quirky history of the MOB using satire to jab at competitors and crack up fans. Some highlights, courtesy of the MOB's site:

• "BROpocalypse Now," a spoof of SMU's collar-popping preps in 2010.

• "Book 'em Horns," when a string of incidents by Longhorns players inspired a Dragnet crime spin in 2007.

• "Todd Graham's Inferno," a Divine Comedy-style roasting of the former Rice coach in a game against Tulsa in 2007.

In 1973, the MOB mocked two A&M institutions: the Aggie Band's military style (the MOB goose-stepped in imitation) and collie mascot Reveille (forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where, Has My Little Dog Gone?"). Aggies fans were not amused. Theories still circulate that the mascot bit was to mock the death of Reveille.

"Reveille was there," says Throckmorton. "That has grown into a huge urban legend."

The MOB certainly seems to enjoy gigging their former Southwest Conference foes. During Saturday's show, the band took on Texas Gov. Rick Perry (a proud A&M grad) and his presidential bid. The announcer declared, "The next time you go to the polls, ask yourself: Is your candidate smarter than an Aggie?"

The MOB will take on a sacred cow "wherever we find it," says Throckmorton. "The thing about A&M is everything is sacred there. It's sort of a match made in heaven."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:44:49 PM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Rice Band Hits Aggie Nail on Head
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
I actually look it as more of a dig on UT than aTm.

The only people who fail to see that UT started this whole clusterfuck a year ago are the ones still trying to suckle at UT's teat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
I chortled. Nice to see someone with kahones and a sense of humor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Did you guys see what the Rice band did at Texas?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
Did you guys see what the Rice band did at Texas?

I haven't been made aware.  I think you should start a thread about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
I actually look it as more of a dig on UT than aTm.

The only people who fail to see that UT started this whole clusterfuck a year ago are the ones still trying to suckle at UT's teat.
THIS, THIS...FUCKING THIS.

I think the ones who unilaterally start their own network and demand an unproportionate share of revenues are the ones all about the money. UT has always been about the money, a lot moreso than aTm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
I haven't been made aware.  I think you should start a thread about it.

I would if I could find a link
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
 :yallfu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions