No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

Re: Education Celebration
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
I made it all the way to the part where the kid got stiff armed, then I remembered it was game week and started looking for Alabama highlight videos. 

I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow when I'm getting paid to watch videos. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
That was actually well worth 11 minutes.  Very interesting, and that was without sound, if there was sound on the video.  Of course, you understand the problem with this is the thousands of teachers who refuse to change how they teach and should have probably retired years ago.  I hate to be one of those parents who has their child moved to a certain class at the first of the year, but I refuse to let my kid be taught by someone who taught me when I was in grade school. 

And busy work pisses me off to the point that I'm ready to be the active shooter in the faculty room. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »
I think one of the more salient points of his presentation (definitely listen to the audio) is that the teachers can't help but be terrible.  I've felt this way for a while.  There's no point in what we do because that's how the system is.  The system is defunct which makes the teachers defunct.

I'll be honest with you.  Teaching the same subject to 150 kids five days a week from August until May is going to require some "busy work." 

It's glorified babysitting.  I wish that presentation offered some kind of solution. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
My wife is mentoring a new teacher this year, who comes to our school district from a school close to East St Louis.  This teacher, who is in her second year of teaching, started looking for a new job, shortly after the school year started in 2010.  While teaching 4th grade there, a student was being disruptive, and the teacher told the girl to please calm down.  The student picked up her desk, through it at the teacher, and told her to "fuck off."  The teacher told the girl she was suspended, and to please go to the office.

Within 20 minutes, the parent of the student was at the school, yelling at the teacher, saying, "You don't have the right to suspend my child."  This was the 3rd time the child had had violent out bursts in this elementary school.  The principal and parent came to an agreement, and the child was suspended for 2 days.  Two days.

So yes, in the parent's eye, the teacher is simply a baby sitter.

How do you unfuck this situation, aside from giving all parties involved, parent, student, and principal, asskickings?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
My wife is mentoring a new teacher this year, who comes to our school district from a school close to East St Louis.  This teacher, who is in her second year of teaching, started looking for a new job, shortly after the school year started in 2010.  While teaching 4th grade there, a student was being disruptive, and the teacher told the girl to please calm down.  The student picked up her desk, through it at the teacher, and told her to "fuck off."  The teacher told the girl she was suspended, and to please go to the office.

Within 20 minutes, the parent of the student was at the school, yelling at the teacher, saying, "You don't have the right to suspend my child."  This was the 3rd time the child had had violent out bursts in this elementary school.  The principal and parent came to an agreement, and the child was suspended for 2 days.  Two days.

How do you unfuck this situation, aside from giving all parties involved, parent, student, and principal, asskickings?

I say you go have cold beers in Sauget.  But that's just me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
I say you go have cold beers in Sauget.  But that's just me.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how the hell do you know about Sauget?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
I'm almost afraid to ask, but how the hell do you know about Sauget?

It's a gift man. 

Some folks travel the world and take in the sites.

Those are my sites.

I'm on a mission to see every woman in the world nekid. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:40:21 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
How do you unfuck this situation...

Do away with public education.  No more government indoctrination centers that cater to the lowest common denominator...  Let the parents decide what's best for their phuck-trophies.  Let private enterprise devise competitive solutions for the new demand. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
Do away with public education.  No more government indoctrination centers that cater to the lowest common denominator...  Let the parents decide what's best for their phuck-trophies.  Let private enterprise devise competitive solutions for the new demand.

Yep.  Education needs to become privatized. 

I'd love to have a horde of 15-18 year old slaves I could boss around in the name of "apprenticeship."   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »

Is it just me, or do you think part of the problem is younger parents?

When I go to any of my kids' school functions, I notice that alot of the parents seem to be young. Don't get me wrong, I'm 28. Alot of these parents I see seem to be within a few years of my age either way. Alot of them dress and seem to act as if they are still in high school. When I hear them discuss school or their child's education, it's like they have the wrong concept of what school is. They think the teachers are solely responsible for their child's education, and they shouldn't have to do anything at home to support that.

You're exactly right. I think a good bit of parents look at school as day care for their child. When I was in elementary and middle school, I went to a good sized school, but it was in a small town. Everybody knew everybody. It was more like family. If a teacher sent you to the office for an ass whoopin, then you deserved an ass whoopin. Then you were going to get an ass whoopin when you got home. I just think that is lost on alot of parents today. They try too much to be their child's friend instead of parent. Maybe because that's the way their parents were, or their teachers were. There is a fine line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

When I go to any of my kids' school functions, I notice that alot of the parents seem to be young. Don't get me wrong, I'm 28. Alot of these parents I see seem to be within a few years of my age either way. Alot of them dress and seem to act as if they are still in high school. When I hear them discuss school or their child's education, it's like they have the wrong concept of what school is. They think the teachers are solely responsible for their child's education, and they shouldn't have to do anything at home to support that.

You're exactly right. I think a good bit of parents look at school as day care for their child. When I was in elementary and middle school, I went to a good sized school, but it was in a small town. Everybody knew everybody. It was more like family. If a teacher sent you to the office for an ass whoopin, then you deserved an ass whoopin. Then you were going to get an ass whoopin when you got home. I just think that is lost on alot of parents today. They try too much to be their child's friend instead of parent. Maybe because that's the way their parents were, or their teachers were. There is a fine line.

Of course, I grew up in that ass whoopin' era and received my fair share both at school and home.  Deserved all but one of em', but that's another story. Damn you Coach Abernathy.  The wife taught 2nd grade in the city school system here in Dothan for 16 years and finally had enough when during her final year, ONE parent showed up the entire year for parent/teacher conferences and she had something like 9 kids in her class with IEP's.  Virtually every kid in the school got free breakfast and one of the little 2nd graders even threatened to bring daddy's gun to school and shoot another kid.  Nothing happened to him.

She moved to a private Christian school about 6 years ago and we put both our kids in there.  I went to the initial parent/teacher conference last week for my boy's 5th grade class.  Every single kid had a parent there, taking notes, asking questions, volunteering for stuff.  I know quite a few of the parents there and I guarantee you that there are some kids gettin' ass whoopins Ralphie style when they screw up.  Even though my wife is a teacher there, I have them call me and not interrupt her all the time if Snaggle-light acts a fool.  And he will act a fool.  Then I go all Michael Jackson...yo butt is mine.  (Okay, not literally MJ)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

I think the problem is beyond that.

For a lot, they don't want to be the child's friend.  They don't want to be their parent.  They just want to pacify the kid. 

When you have a baby, you stick a pacifier in its mouth and most of the time it shuts up.  But once they hit 5 and 6 years old, you don't have the luxury of using a device like that.   

So parents find new ones.  They give the kids from age 5-18 whatever the hell they want or whatever the hell they think they need just to shut them up.  Just to make them easier to deal with.

Notice how many commercials are on TV advertising a way to satsify your child's wants and desires.  Cars are being advertised to parents as a means of keeping your kid entertained and quiet in the backseat.  Food is advertised as a way to make your kid happy and calm. 

It sells because that's what parents want.

So when the doctor offers a way to shut your kid up, it's real easy to accept it.  I think the video makes a good point to show how bullshit most of these ADHD cases are.  It's easy to drug your kid to get him to be quiet.  It's another to parent your kid in a way that fosters success in the future. 

But to the bigger point - the problem isn't the parents or the kids.  It's the system.  School needs to be revamped.  Privatizing the entire thing may be the answer.  I don't know though.  That's a rather important aspect of our civilization that could be used as a tool of subjugation if the wrong people get involved. 

Why are kids steamlined through school as if they're on a factory line?  The kids hate school.  Eventually, we have to stop using the "they're just kids" excuse and start analyzing whether or not they hate school because of its ineffective means of preparing them for life.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:06:34 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Why are kids steamlined through school as if they're on a factory line?  The kids hate school.  Eventually, we have to stop using the "they're just kids" excuse and start analyzing whether or not they hate school because of its ineffective means of preparing them for life.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too.

THS, I don't know how you do it.  I admire people like you.  If I were a teacher, I'd be in jail before the end of the first day.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »

THS, I don't know how you do it.  I admire people like you.  If I were a teacher, I'd be in jail before the end of the first day.

EGG-ZACHARY.  I was helping in Sunday school when my boy was about 6.  One little kid was going crazy around the room, kicking stuff over, rolling on the floor, jumping up on things.  I told them all to gather round for the lesson and he was the only one still running around knocking shit over, oblivious to everything else.  I had asked him, told him 3-4 times and he just kept on.  Before I knew it, I had the kid by his shoulders up off the ground. I was in his face literally hollering at the him when my wife steps in real quick....

"Calm down, you can't beat the kids".  My hands were shaking.  I was like, I'd kill one of these little fuckers if I had to do this every day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »

EVERY kid is part of the same system.

I'm 100% supportive of kids who understand they are going to be ditch diggers.  Or car mechanics.  Or hair stylists.  Or assistants.  Or secretaries. 

I'm good with that.  The kids I teach need to have those goals.  But school doesn't prepare them for that.  In fact, school tells them that because they want to be a car mechanic, they're a failure.  Can't do Shakespeare, biology, or advanced arithmetic?  Fuck you, loser. 

And then those that are beyond the blue collar jobs - those that not only deserve college, need college - they are forced to sit in the factory lines along with the mechanics, welders, and painters. 

And so their creativity is destroyed.  They have to fight tooth and nail to find some sort of aesthetic value in life, and most of the time, when they find it, it's shot down by administrators and parents. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
When I go to any of my kids' school functions, I notice that alot of the parents seem to be young.

That's merely a product of you getting older.  It gets worse and worse. 

Actually in your case it's probably because you're used to fucking goats and goats have beards.  When you see humans without beards you assume they are younger than they are. 

So get back to fucking goats, goat fucking updyke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »
EGG-ZACHARY.  I was helping in Sunday school when my boy was about 6.

Before the readings at our cat-lick church, they invite the kids to go out of the church for "children's church" usually lasting through the homily.  Anyway, when my daughter was 3, I'd end up taking her, and did so until we were comfortable with her going by herself.  Now that my son is 3, I've been taking him, and I swear, I want to take some of these little fucks and put a boot in their ass.  One literally lays down on the ground, and the teacher doesn't do a damn thing.  "get up"  "get up"  and then just ignores him.  Fuck that, send his ass back to church.  Make the whole damn church see him walking in front of the alter and wonder what happened.  And let the parent come up to the Sunday school teacher to ask why.  "because your son was a little shit, and needs an ass whupping."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
That's merely a product of you getting older.  It gets worse and worse. 

Actually in your case it's probably because you're used to fucking goats and goats have beards.  When you see humans without beards you assume they are younger than they are. 

So get back to fucking goats, goat fucking updyke.

At first I thought you were engaging in meaningful debate.

Then I busted a nut laughing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »
EVERY kid is part of the same system.

I'm 100% supportive of kids who understand they are going to be ditch diggers.  Or car mechanics.  Or hair stylists.  Or assistants.  Or secretaries. 

I'm good with that.  The kids I teach need to have those goals.  But school doesn't prepare them for that.  In fact, school tells them that because they want to be a car mechanic, they're a failure.  Can't do Shakespeare, biology, or advanced arithmetic?  Fuck you, loser. 

And then those that are beyond the blue collar jobs - those that not only deserve college, need college - they are forced to sit in the factory lines along with the mechanics, welders, and painters. 

And so their creativity is destroyed.  They have to fight tooth and nail to find some sort of aesthetic value in life, and most of the time, when they find it, it's shot down by administrators and parents.

Roman history.  Read it.  We're accelerating rapidly through their pattern of societal decline. 

Romans got to be too good/educated/smart to do the work. 

The whole liberal/socialist agenda of "everybody should have the same" went on there.  Instead of money, it was grain. 

Everything that has happened will happen again.  I hope our kids realize that and drag us out of this mess.  We aren't smart enough.  I don't think they are either. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions