Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Would Trooper Taylor be...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Would Trooper Taylor be...
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
a good head coach? I ask because eventually, as all coaches do, he will move on.  Hopefully, that's 10 years from now.....but most likely not.  The last two years, I've had the fortune to briefly meet the man and watch him closely in action as he interacts with people.  I've come to the conclusion that what you see is what you get.  He appears to be genuinely that hyped up, that outgoing.  He was dancing with an old lady Saturday singing, "We won the championship and we're still danciing."  And yes, it's contagious. 

We all see the backwards hat, the towel waving, the jump and bumps with the players.  In one sense, some would question whether that would translate well to being the guy in charge of the whole operation.  Those same type things have been said many time about Will Muschamp.  We'll see how it works out for him and his demeanor on the sidelines.  On another hand, what many fail to notice is that no coach on that sideline does more actual coaching and teaching of the players.  Coach Taylor is a hands on guy and while he does everything possible to relate to his players, I doubt anyone demands more of them.

Do you think other programs look at him seriously as a head coach and if so, what type of program?  SEC?  Wide open PAC 10/12/8.  WAC?       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Would Trooper Taylor be...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
I could never see him as the main guy on the sideline at some staid program like Texas, OK, Notre Dame, but I could definitely see him on the sideline on some up and coming program that would accept his enthusiasm (Rutgers, TCU, Texas Tech, etc.).

And I'll go ahead and say it.  He could not pull the same antics on the sideline at an SEC school as the head coach.  Sylvester Croom was the perfect guy to break the color barrier as a head football coach in the SEC.  Troop's personality combined with his skin color would not work on the sidelines in Oxford or Starkville (or Hattiesburg for that matter).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
I could never see him as the main guy on the sideline at some staid program like Texas, OK, Notre Dame, but I could definitely see him on the sideline on some up and coming program that would accept his enthusiasm (Rutgers, TCU, Texas Tech, etc.).

And I'll go ahead and say it.  He could not pull the same antics on the sideline at an SEC school as the head coach.  Sylvester Croom was the perfect guy to break the color barrier as a head football coach in the SEC.  Troop's personality combined with his skin color would not work on the sidelines in Oxford or Starkville (or Hattiesburg for that matter).

I'm really interested to see how Muschamp does and if he's as animated at times.  I have no doubt he'll be running on the field and celebrating with his players after a TD or a great defensive stand, but will it be to the extent as it was when he was a coordinator?  Fans are cool with it as long as you're winning.  But, lose a few, and they wonder if you're the right man for the job.  Even Houston Nutt is considered on the edge of being to "Harry High School".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »
a good head coach? I ask because eventually, as all coaches do, he will move on.  Hopefully, that's 10 years from now.....but most likely not.  The last two years, I've had the fortune to briefly meet the man and watch him closely in action as he interacts with people.  I've come to the conclusion that what you see is what you get.  He appears to be genuinely that hyped up, that outgoing.  He was dancing with an old lady Saturday singing, "We won the championship and we're still danciing."  And yes, it's contagious. 

We all see the backwards hat, the towel waving, the jump and bumps with the players.  In one sense, some would question whether that would translate well to being the guy in charge of the whole operation.  Those same type things have been said many time about Will Muschamp.  We'll see how it works out for him and his demeanor on the sidelines.  On another hand, what many fail to notice is that no coach on that sideline does more actual coaching and teaching of the players.  Coach Taylor is a hands on guy and while he does everything possible to relate to his players, I doubt anyone demands more of them.

Do you think other programs look at him seriously as a head coach and if so, what type of program?  SEC?  Wide open PAC 10/12/8.  WAC?     

I've heard him talk, and talk football.  I say he would be EXCEPT for the fact of the sect of people who are more about perception than anything else, and wouldn't take him seriously because of the backwards hat, and such as that.  But yeah, I think he's a legit coach, not just a recruiter. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
I've heard him talk, and talk football.  I say he would be EXCEPT for the fact of the sect of people who are more about perception than anything else, and wouldn't take him seriously because of the backwards hat, and such as that.  But yeah, I think he's a legit coach, not just a recruiter.

Agreed.  I think the biggest "drawback" for me is what I said before.  I truly think his persona is not schtick.  It's genuine.  That's Trooper Taylor.  Could he...or would he even want to tone it down in order to be a head coach? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
He's a thug sorority girl. 
Just look at his hat turned around backwards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
He's a thug sorority girl. 
Just look at his hat turned around backwards.

But can he beat box?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
How long has he been a position coach?  I could see him at a CUSA school, but not at one of the AQ's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
There was an article in Texas Monthly last month about Gary Patterson at TCU - apparently he is so intense that while his guys love him, they are scared shitless of him.  He is a taller version of Saban - but with Muschamp like qualities.  VERY intense on the sidelines.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions