Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn's 2011 Offense

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Auburn's 2011 Offense
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »
With a new QB, the loss of go-to receiver "Smooth" Adams, and re-tooled OL, you have to figure that Gus will lean heavily on the battled-tested tandem of Dyer and OMac to open up his passing game. (Is that a record for most hyphenated words/phrases in on sentence?)

Last year:

Cam carried for 1473 yards on 264 carries.
Dyer carried for 1093 yards on 182 carries.
OMac carried for 810 yards on 95 carries.
Fannin carried for 395 yards on 61 carries.

As a percentage of rushing yards (leaving aside backups and other qbs), Cam had 39%, Dyer had 29%, OMac had 21% and Fannin had 11%. 

A full 50% of our rushing yardage and 54% of our carries have moved on.  This production must be replaced elsewhere on the field.  How will it be split?  Of the 325 departed carries (23 per game over last year's 14 game schedule) , I would assume that Dyer's share will increase from 13 carries per game to 20-25, leaving OMac with an increase from 7 carries to around 12-15, and the remainder spread out to reverses and QB draws (Trotter showed some wheels in the SECCG and Moseley looked adequate in the A-Day game).

With 20-25 carries per game, Dyer could post 120-150 ypg (assuming he can maintain his 6 ypc average).  Without Cam occupying defenses, however, I doubt Dyer will manage to average such a gaudy number.   If he averages 100+ per game, I think you can expect 8-9 wins.

Rambling and incoherent number crunching wrapup note: I'm bored and wanted to throw some discussion fodder out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Auburn's 2011 Offense
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
I have thought for some time now that Trotter would be the starting QB. I mean the guy isn't too shabby when on the run and he has a pretty good canon for an arm too. Not to mention, he has been in Malzahns system on the college level for 2+ yrs. I also add that I have liked the guy since Briarwood Christian. That has been changing here of late. I have read from several folks that Frazier has already made his name even before fall practice in the Auburn locker room, that he has really picked up on the playbook incredibly well and he is showing high levels of leadership as a frosh. You add all of this with the fact he has been running a very similar Malzahn offense for four yrs of HS and the he his very talented both with his feet and arm; I'd be surprised if he is not the starting QB for '11.

Besides the obvious talented running duo of OMac and Dyer; Lutz, Blake and Reed are no slouches and will play big roles in the offensive production. There is lots of young talent on the offense and there is no doubt that Malzahn will make the most of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: Auburn's 2011 Offense
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
With a new QB, the loss of go-to receiver "Smooth" Adams, and re-tooled OL, you have to figure that Gus will lean heavily on the battled-tested tandem of Dyer and OMac to open up his passing game. (Is that a record for most hyphenated words/phrases in on sentence?)

Last year:

Cam carried for 1473 yards on 264 carries.
Dyer carried for 1093 yards on 182 carries.
OMac carried for 810 yards on 95 carries.
Fannin carried for 395 yards on 61 carries.

As a percentage of rushing yards (leaving aside backups and other qbs), Cam had 39%, Dyer had 29%, OMac had 21% and Fannin had 11%. 

A full 50% of our rushing yardage and 54% of our carries have moved on.  This production must be replaced elsewhere on the field.  How will it be split?  Of the 325 departed carries (23 per game over last year's 14 game schedule) , I would assume that Dyer's share will increase from 13 carries per game to 20-25, leaving OMac with an increase from 7 carries to around 12-15, and the remainder spread out to reverses and QB draws (Trotter showed some wheels in the SECCG and Moseley looked adequate in the A-Day game).

With 20-25 carries per game, Dyer could post 120-150 ypg (assuming he can maintain his 6 ypc average).  Without Cam occupying defenses, however, I doubt Dyer will manage to average such a gaudy number.   If he averages 100+ per game, I think you can expect 8-9 wins.

Rambling and incoherent number crunching wrapup note: I'm bored and wanted to throw some discussion fodder out.

Kinda hard to predict.  I would expect Trotter (assume he'll be the guy) will rely heavily on Lutz.  Will another WR step up?  Will we have the RB t'fer from UF or not?  The Fr. RB coming in?  Forget both their names.  Will they work Frazier in as the Wildcat QB?  Or will he come in and claim the job leaving the option as a big part of the offense?  If not, then the playbook looks much more like that of the 2009 version.   Lots will be determined by what the OL can learn and do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions