Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Article on Mr. James Swinton

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Article on Mr. James Swinton
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:31:24 PM »
James Swinton needed a change.

After four years of struggling to crack the rotation under former offensive coordinator Al Borges, the Auburn wide receiver was anxious for an opportunity.

Opportunity knocked last December.

Just in time for Swinton’s senior season, in came Tony Franklin, guru of the spread offense. The offense seemed ideally suited for Swinton, the fastest player on Auburn’s roster.

And it didn’t take long for Swinton to flash his potential in Franklin’s offense. Coaches and teammates alike raved about the senior’s ability to put his speed to play-making use in the spread.

Change was clearly in the air. So Swinton decided to go all-out at the start of spring practice, ditching his No. 82 jersey for No. 16. It was hardly an earth-shattering change, but it was a symbol of something more.

New season. New system. New number.

And a new outlook for Swinton, who was one of AU’s most improved pass-catchers in spring practice. He had 11 catches for 116 yards in AU’s four scrimmages this spring.

That production vaulted him to a starting job at one of AU’s two outside receiver positions.

Not bad for a player with all of three career receptions heading into the 2008 season.

But that was the past. The new Swinton is focused on the future.

And according to Franklin, the future is bright.

“I’m real pleased with Swinton and what he’s done this spring,” Franklin said. “I think the biggest thing is he’s in an offense that’s conducive to what he’s good at. He’s quick, he’s fast and he’s got good hands.

“He’s probably happy.”

That’s an understatement. Swinton is thrilled to be making an impact.

But he knows that there is still plenty of time between the end of spring practice and the start of the season. The new challenge is to stay atop the depth chart.

He’s ready.

“This is the best spring I’ve had since I’ve been here at Auburn, but there’s a lot of room for improvement for me,” Swinton said. “I’m not satisfied at all.

“I want to be out there this year. I want the ball to be in my hands in difficult situations. That’s what I’m working for.”

With a host of talented receivers all fighting for playing time and only one ball to go around, Swinton admits there’s pressure.

But, he says, there’s an easy solution.

“Just go out there and make plays,” he said. “If I do that, there’s nothing else to worry about. If I make plays, they’ve got to see it.”

So far, so good. It’s a change for the better.

http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/auburnversus/comments/swinton_makes_move_in_new_offense/'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs