Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Congress wants to determine if BCS is illegal enterprise

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Congress wants to determine if BCS is illegal enterprise
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
There's a lot of criticism about this, but I can't think of anything more important to me personally that I'd like to see congress get involved with.

The BCS is an evil empire whose monopoly must end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3351626
WASHINGTON -- Forget government corruption or corporate fraud. Three members of Congress want the Justice Department to investigate whether college football's Bowl Championship Series is an illegal enterprise.

Reps. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii), Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) and Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) are introducing a resolution rejecting the oft-criticized bowl system as an illegal restriction on trade because only the largest universities compete in most of the major bowl games. The resolution would require Justice's antitrust division to investigate whether the system violates federal law.

"Who elected these NCAA people? Who are they to decide who competes for the championship?" Abercrombie said at a press conference Thursday on Capitol Hill, gripping a souvenir Hawaii football.

Abercrombie said the matter is worthy of federal review because college football is big business with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.

"It's money. That's what this is all about," he said.

But it's no coincidence that all three lawmakers have home-state schools with recent beefs against the bowl system.

Hawaii and Boise State University in Idaho each had an undefeated season in recent years but were denied a shot at the championship. And Westmoreland said he is still smarting about his Georgia Bulldogs being passed over for the national championship game last year.

Georgia instead was matched up against undefeated Hawaii in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, winning 41-10.

Westmoreland and Abercrombie said they started talking about the resolution after that game, as Abercrombie was paying off a bet with chocolate-covered macadamia nuts.

The lawmakers say the bowl system is rigid and blocks all but the largest universities from competing in postseason bowls, denying dozens of others not just the opportunity to compete but also a shot at the big payoffs and national exposure that come with bowl appearances.

Abercrombie maintained that television markets are one factor in selecting which teams go to high-profile bowls.

"We shouldn't have to argue about who the champion is," Westmoreland said, citing the excitement and unpredictability of the NCAA college basketball tournament. "That should be decided on the field."

The BCS was created in 1998 by the six most powerful conferences. It relies on polls and computer ratings to determine which teams qualify for the top bowls.

Congress held a hearing on the BCS in 2005, but no legislation came of it.

In a statement, ACC commissioner and current BCS administrator John Swofford said the BCS allows all qualified teams to participate and is beneficial for student-athletes, universities and fans.

"This issue has been looked at before," Swofford said. "We're confident that it complies with the law."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Congress wants to determine if BCS is illegal enterprise
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »
I agree! I would love to see USC play UTEP in the Orange bowl game. I think they need to let everyone have a shot!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »
Fuck the bowl system. People want a playoff.

That being said, fuck Georgia in the ass. They didn't get screwed this past season. Win the fucking conference title THEN get shafted and you have an argument. Until then, learn to beat Tennessee..... assholes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Aubie16

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
I agree! I would love to see USC play UTEP in the Orange bowl game. I think they need to let everyone have a shot!

Thats not relevant in the least and you are well aware of that. Why post that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
Thats not relevant in the least and you are well aware of that. Why post that?

"Who elected these NCAA people? Who are they to decide who competes for the championship?" Abercrombie said at a press conference Thursday on Capitol Hill, gripping a souvenir Hawaii football."

"Hawaii and Boise State University in Idaho each had an undefeated season in recent years but were denied a shot at the championship."

What I said makes sense. USC plays UTEP in a 'BCS' game because they deserve the same chance as the big boys. Think a bit, champ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
Playoffs.....that is all. :popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:49:56 AM »

That being said, fuck Georgia in the ass. They didn't get screwed this past season. Win the fucking conference title THEN get shafted and you have an argument. Until then, learn to beat Tennessee..... assholes.
:10:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
Sure Hawaii deserved a shot at the BCS title this year.  I mean, hell just look what they did to UGA.  Oh wait, that didn't turn out too well for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »

I didn't know us Pell City people  used this type of language!
(I agree with you whole fucking heartedly)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:46:18 PM by stewiegriffin »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:25:56 PM »
Sure Hawaii deserved a shot at the BCS title this year.  I mean, hell just look what they did to UGA.  Oh wait, that didn't turn out too well for them.

Just because they bombed against UGA does not change the fact that up to that point they had as much right to be there as anyone else and more than most.  You are using hindsight to justify something that never should have happened.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Just because they bombed against UGA does not change the fact that up to that point they had as much right to be there as anyone else and more than most.  You are using hindsight to justify something that never should have happened.

No, I was going by their strength of schedule during the season.  They really didn't face that tough of a schedule.  If it helps, I didn't think that OSU deserved to be there either, their schedule was a joke too.  If a team that is in a weak conference (big 10 included) wants to get a shot at playing for the BCSNC, then they should have the toughest OC schedule in the country, if not the toughest, then at least in the top five.  If they are afraid that they will lose that perfect season by scheduling tough OC games, then that tells us all we need to know about that team.

By the way, OSU has been the Ohio state champs for several years now.   :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
See I just contend that if they are div 1 then they are div.1.   If they are not worthy of playing for all the marbles then move them down in division.  Oh yea....And fuck UGA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
They are in it for the money, not the BCSNC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
They are in it for the money, not the BCSNC.
They are in for the players and the fans :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.