Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Did Anyone Watch The "You're Getting Old" Episode of South Park?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it was...moving.

I love the show, and think it is the pinnacle of modern satire. They are masterful at getting a serious point across by means of silly 8th grade humor.

I just watched this episode on my DVR, and was moved by it. I can't believe I'm saying this about an episode in which a piece of poop poops out poop onto more poop. It was simultaneously the most juvenile and most mature episode the show has ever done.

They always split seasons up into two halves. This was the last episode of the first half of this season. It will resume in a few months. If I didn't know that, I would swear it was the series finale.

Without giving away too much, the episode was about getting old, and getting tired of the immature and juvenile stuff, and needing to move on with your life. Getting tired of the same formulaic routine, using the show itself as an ironic example.

It ended on a very bleak note. And this wasn't like the "Kenny dies for real" episode, where they played the entire episode completely straight, and that in itself was a joke. This was way more poignant.

You can't stream the episode until July 8, apparently, but I recommend seeking it out if you're even a casual fan of the show. When you can, it will be here.

I'm curious as to other people's thoughts on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Did Anyone Watch The "You're Getting Old" Episode of South Park?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
So, you're leaving the X?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »
So no one else saw this?

I want to know what others thought. On its face, to those that don't fully "get" satire, or to those that don't realize that every episode has a deeper meaning behind the potty humor, may see it ridiculous that I found such profound meaning in an episode that found Randy formed a band called "Steamy Ray Vaughn", in which he explosively shits his pants into a microphone.

I don't want to spoil the episode for those that haven't seen it, but believe it or not, in the context in which they were presenting it, all of that had a deeper meaning.

To further wax poetic over potty humor, I think seeing this on the day of Ryan Dunn's death made it impact me more than if I had watched it on its original air date.

For better or worse in the eyes of you older folk, South Park and Jackass share no small part in defining our generation. I said it.

Both of them have been around for about 15 years, which is over half of my life. Pretty much all of the cognizant portion. I always saw those guys as invincible in a way. To see one of them go out in a stupidly careless and dangerous act NOT in front of the camera, was somewhat impactful. The rest of the crew will likely either be shocked into some serious growing up of their own, or will burn out themselves in a drug addled flame here shortly.

On top of those two events, throw in the Brooks thing. The king of idiot slander pieces about Auburn writes the dumbest and most unfounded trash anyone has put out to date. Affecting real college students. Not athletes. Slandering them for no reason other than his sick fetish to tarnish the reputation of Auburn University. Maybe I'm on my man-period or something, but when combined with these other two things, it just sucked the joy out of this whole college football obsession I have, and the Internet that goes along with it.

I don't want to get too maudlin here. I'm not going anywhere. No major revelation.

Yesterday seemed to usher in an end of an era for me personally.

I just wrote all of that about an episode of a shock-value cartoon in which people literally spewed diahreah from their mouths, the passing of a man most famous for inserting a hotwheel car into his rectum, and the TMZ of college football doing exactly what he's known for.

Wow.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:00:08 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »

For better or worse in the eyes of you older folk, South Park and Jackass share no small part in defining our generation. I said it.

South Park defines mine.

Jackass defines yours.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:06:41 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
So no one else saw this?

I want to know what others thought. On its face, to those that don't fully "get" satire, or to those that don't realize that every episode has a deeper meaning behind the potty humor, may see it ridiculous that I found such profound meaning in an episode that found Randy formed a band called "Steamy Ray Vaughn", in which he explosively shits his pants into a microphone.

I don't want to spoil the episode for those that haven't seen it, but believe it or not, in the context in which they were presenting it, all of that had a deeper meaning.

To further wax poetic over potty humor, I think seeing this on the day of Ryan Dunn's death made it impact me more than if I had watched it on its original air date.

Both of them have been around for about 15 years, which is over half of my life. Pretty much all of the cognizant portion. I always saw those guys as invincible in a way. To see one of them go out in a stupidly careless and dangerous act NOT in front of the camera, was somewhat impactful. The rest of the crew will likely either be shocked into some serious growing up of their own, or will burn out themselves in a drug addled flame here shortly.

On top of those two events, throw in the Brooks thing. The king of idiot slander pieces about Auburn writes the dumbest and most unfounded trash anyone has put out to date. Affecting real college students. Not athletes. Slandering them for no reason other than his sick fetish to tarnish the reputation of Auburn University. Maybe I'm on my man-period or something, but when combined with these other two things, it just sucked the joy out of this whole college football obsession I have, and the Internet that goes along with it.

I don't want to get too maudlin here. I'm not going anywhere. No major revelation.

Yesterday seemed to usher in an end of an era for me personally.

I just wrote all of that about an episode of a shock-value cartoon in which people literally spewed diahreah from their mouths, the passing of a man most famous for inserting a hotwheel car into his rectum, and the TMZ of college football doing exactly what he's known for.

Wow.

So no more 4Chan on Friday evenings for you? 

I haven't seen the episode yet.  I hear it's the end of South Park, and they kept it tight-lipped so their last episodes will have more of an impact on its viewers. 

It's interesting to analyze our generation. 

Jackass, South Park, Family Guy, anything else on Adult Swim, overtly foul comedies at the theater (Hangover, Knocked Up, Zack and Miri, etc), the emergence of the internet. 

I'm not one to delegate a strict moral code on everyone, but I do wonder who exactly are we in comparison to the rest of history. 

I don't think anyone is going to look back and say we're on par with the World War II generation in terms of work ethic and courage.

I don't think anyone is going to look back and say we're on par with the 60s generation in terms of civil rights and freedom of speech.

I think we're the kings of toilet humor with an emphasis on crude, profane visuals, and we scoff at anyone who tells us that we do anything remotely incorrectly. 

We're the spoiled youngest child who inherited our older siblings' toys. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
South Park defines mine.

Jackass defines yours.
How you figure. They both came out when I was in high school. Jackass came out maybe two years later. The creators are all virtually the same age, around 40.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
How you figure. They both came out when I was in high school. Jackass came out maybe two years later. The creators are all virtually the same age, around 40.

because I would contend that Jackass did not really hit mainstream until 10 years ago whereas South Park was pretty well mainstream since season one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
South Park defines mine.

Jackass defines yours.

Maybe for you. Both of those are embarrassing statements IMHO. Maybe you were joking, but seriously though Sani - "defines"? That's strong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
Maybe for you. Both of those are embarrassing statements IMHO. Maybe you were joking, but seriously though Sani - "defines"? That's strong.
I would guess you've never really watched an episode of South Park. Certainly not an entire season. If so, not one from the last 10 years.

There is much more to South Park than you are willing to see on its surface. It's far from the mindless potty humor trash you seem to see it as. It may use that as a vehicle to send a bigger message at times. Well, most times. But there is a method to their madness. You'd see that if you actually watched.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
I would guess you've never really watched an episode of South Park. Certainly not an entire season. If so, not one from the last 10 years.

There is much more to South Park than you are willing to see on its surface. It's far from the mindless potty humor trash you seem to see it as. It may use that as a vehicle to send a bigger message at times. Well, most times. But there is a method to their madness. You'd see that if you actually watched.

You have a hard time accepting a difference of opinion Chizad.

I have watched it. Several times. Just not my brand of humor. I don't like it. And I surely do not think it defines my generation.  Just my .02

Other examples of things people worship in masses I don't care for:

American Idol
Lost
Family Guy
Dancing with the Stars
Lewis Black

I can recognize South Park and The Simpson's contribution to pop culture, but to say "defines" is an extremely strong statement. Technically, from a pop culture perspective Friends, Nirvana and Seinfeld defined my generation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »
You're a Gen-Xer.

I'm a Gen-Yer.

Your statements would be correct. Mine too. South Park is infinitely more topical and important to society and culture than Friends ever even aspired to be.

All I'm saying is there's more there than you are giving it credit for. A layer you're apparently not seeing if you think it's all about the potty humor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
You're a Gen-Xer.

I'm a Gen-Yer.

Your statements would be correct. Mine too. South Park is infinitely more topical and important to society and culture than Friends ever even aspired to be.

All I'm saying is there's more there than you are giving it credit for. A layer you're apparently not seeing if you think it's all about the potty humor.
Good point. Fair enough.

I understand South Park fine. But like music, it just doesn't strike a chord with me for some reason. Hard to explain. There are people I find hilarious that others hate and vice versa. Different strokes I guess.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »

South Park came out when I was in Auburn. I and three other guys would meet over at one of our apartments/trailers to watch beginning with the first episode.  Much beer and pizza would be consumed and we would laugh our ass off and then play 2v2 one NBA Jam on GameCube  :facepalm:

I just kind of lost track of the show after marriage, kids, job, etc.

I also used to watch Simpsons and Family Guy religiously but quit after (to me) they just went out of their way to quit being funny and just be political.  Can't remember which Family Guy episode it was that got me to quit watching, but the Simpsons it was the one where they got sent to Alcatraz with the other political prisoners.

Defining pop culture items from my g-g-g-generation (90's generation, I graduated high school in '96, college in '00).

"Grunge" music
Alt Rock going mainstream
The Matrix (just the first one; presented the feeling of powerlessness and loneliness in modern tech driven society)
Fight Club (I think it was telling that more people identified with the "bad guy" than the good guy)
Boy Bands (showed that we were willing to pay gobs of cash for anything that could be packaged correctly)
Friends
Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Family Guy (lumping these three together because now the most important thing is to be hip to all the best pop culture references; seriously, 7 years ago did we just quote movie lines to each other and have that be an entire conversation?)

Probably others, but I don't feel like listing them anymore.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
South Park came out when I was in Auburn. I and three other guys would meet over at one of our apartments/trailers to watch beginning with the first episode.  Much beer and pizza would be consumed and we would laugh our ass off and then play 2v2 one NBA Jam on GameCube  :facepalm:

I just kind of lost track of the show after marriage, kids, job, etc.

I also used to watch Simpsons and Family Guy religiously but quit after (to me) they just went out of their way to quit being funny and just be political.  Can't remember which Family Guy episode it was that got me to quit watching, but the Simpsons it was the one where they got sent to Alcatraz with the other political prisoners.

Defining pop culture items from my g-g-g-generation (90's generation, I graduated high school in '96, college in '00).

"Grunge" music
Alt Rock going mainstream
The Matrix (just the first one; presented the feeling of powerlessness and loneliness in modern tech driven society)
Fight Club (I think it was telling that more people identified with the "bad guy" than the good guy)
Boy Bands (showed that we were willing to pay gobs of cash for anything that could be packaged correctly)
Friends
Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Family Guy (lumping these three together because now the most important thing is to be hip to all the best pop culture references; seriously, 7 years ago did we just quote movie lines to each other and have that be an entire conversation?)

Probably others, but I don't feel like listing them anymore.
Since you are from around mine I will say for music, movies, shows, comedians:

Grunge - STP, Nirvana, AIC
Other music - Boy Bands, Goo Goo Dolls, Smashing Pumpkins, Live
Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Fight Club, Shawshank
Friends, Seinfeld, Sopranos (since it started in 99)
Jeff Foxworthy, Adam Sandler, Jim Carey

Not saying I like these or not, just saying they defined Gen X. They are what comes to your mind when thinking of biggest impact in pop culture.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
Since you are from around mine I will say for music, movies, shows, comedians:

Grunge - STP, Nirvana, AIC
Other music - Boy Bands, Goo Goo Dolls, Smashing Pumpkins, Live
Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Fight Club, Shawshank
Friends, Seinfeld, Sopranos (since it started in 99)
Jeff Foxworthy, Adam Sandler, Jim Carey

Not saying I like these or not, just saying they defined Gen X. They are what comes to your mind when thinking of biggest impact in pop culture.
See, you were at the very end of your generation, and I am at the very beginning of mine.

We share a lot of these things. I was a big fan of the grunge bands you mention here when they were new. Saw Pulp Fiction when it was first released on VHS. Saw Fight Club and Forrest Gump in the theaters. Watched all of the shows you mentioned. Hated all of the boy bands. But I wasn't in my 20's, so you guys get the credit for that stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
Anyway, back to the point, for those that torrent: get this episode. Unfortunately, that's the only way to watch it right now, I believe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
Hated all of the boy bands.

You don't have to lie for us to like you Chizad........You know you and AWK listened to Timberlake for hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
See, you were at the very end of your generation, and I am at the very beginning of mine.

We share a lot of these things. I was a big fan of the grunge bands you mention here when they were new. Saw Pulp Fiction when it was first released on VHS. Saw Fight Club and Forrest Gump in the theaters. Watched all of the shows you mentioned. Hated all of the boy bands. But I wasn't in my 20's, so you guys get the credit for that stuff.
I think Live and STP are two of the best sounds ever. They were at their peak in the mid-late 90's when I was at Auburn. Saw Live one time in concert. Teh roxxors to say the least. Nirvana was good too but since they were around for all of 3 minutes, it was hard to get a read on them at the time. I just knew they sounded like something I had never heard and it was great. They came out when I was in high school. They were definately the defining band of Gen X, Michael Jackson probably the defining musical act of Gen X as a whole.

I liked Gump for what it was. Never cared for Fight Club or Pulp Fiction all that much. Didn't hate em, just didn't gush over em. I prefered Boondock Saints to Pulp Fiction. To a certain extent the American Pie movies were right in there towards the end although that was more Gen Y since I think they spanned from 1999-2005.

Boy Bands = the suxxors.

I remember when Carey and Sandler did comedy. To me, they are much better in silly comedies than doing standup. Carey can act when he wants to. Sandler is avg at best but his pop culture influence is huge, from SNL all the way to Deeds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
Anyway, back to the point, for those that torrent: get this episode. Unfortunately, that's the only way to watch it right now, I believe.
I forgot "The Chronic".  :thumsup:

And to quote from a song by Dr. Dre relating to your above post:

Back to the lecture at Haaaayund.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
I remember when Carey and Sandler did comedy. To me, they are much better in silly comedies than doing standup. Carey can act when he wants to. Sandler is avg at best but his pop culture influence is huge, from SNL all the way to Deeds.
Everything we're talking about is exactly what this episode is about.

Coincidentally, this specifically was touched on pretty directly.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/388737/rated-arg-for-pirates
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions