But PAAAWWWWLLL, I SEEN it!

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
But PAAAWWWWLLL, I SEEN it!
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/setting_the_record_straight_on.html

Auburn after Bear Bryant's death: Setting the record straight
Published: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 6:05 AM     Updated: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 7:32 AM
 By Evan Woodbery/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

A copy of the Jan. 27. 1983, edition of the Opelika-Auburn News.

AUBURN, Alabama -- When "Al from Dadeville" called the Paul Finebaum show to brag about poisoning the famed oak trees at Toomer's Corner, he seemed most upset by a bit of lore that has persisted for years.

He said he was motivated to act because Auburn fans celebrated the death of legendary Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant when he died suddenly in 1983 by "rolling" Toomer's Corner with toilet paper.

Authorities later arrested 62-year-old Harvey Updyke, who has acknowledged being "Al from Dadeville" but denied poisoning the trees.

Updyke's arrest focused greater attention on the history of Toomer's Corner, which has been used as a place to celebrate everything from football victories to presidential elections.

But as a place to celebrate Bryant's death? It simply didn't happen, according to those who should know.

"I'm not aware of any celebrations whatsoever," said retired Auburn athletic director and historian David Housel. "I never heard any single individual see anything like that. I think that's an urban myth."

'When word reached Auburn, the War Eagles mourned'

The War Eagle Reader, a popular Auburn blog, combed through microfiche of old Alabama newspapers, compiling just about every contemporary media account of Bryant's death.

A huge crowd celebrates at Auburn's Toomers Corner following the Tigers' last-second national championship victory in Glendale, Arizona. (The Associated Press/Dave Martin)

Not only was there no indication of any public celebration in Auburn -- let alone rolling Toomer's Corner -- most of the reports focused on the grief and respect coming from Bryant's rivals.

"When word reached Auburn, the War Eagles mourned," was the headline in the Birmingham News the next day.

The story was filled with quotes from Auburn coaches and players expressing shock.

"Like all great men, he may be gone, but the things he taught us all will last forever," said then-Auburn coach Pat Dye, who was also a former Bryant assistant at Alabama.

The Opelika-Auburn News front-page headline read: "Praise, Tears Come for Bear." A subhead read: "Auburn Players Feel the Loss of Great Coach."

Bear Bryant's death cast a shadow over all of Alabama, even Auburn. (file photo)

The Plainsman, Auburn's student newspaper, came out the morning after Bryant's death and only had time to rush a photo of Bryant onto the front page. But there was no reference to any celebration in subsequent issues, according to War Eagle Reader.

"The lack of anything in The Plainsman is the most telling," the Reader wrote. "Letters to the editor during this era were beyond nit-picky. Alumni and townsfolk regularly took Auburn students to task for the tiniest offense to civility and class: too much cussing at games, not cheering loudly enough at games, poor behavior at concerts, you name it."

But nothing about celebrating Bryant's death.

Even so, myths can be persistent. Among the true believers, absence of evidence can even be seen as proof.

"There's an old saying -- it certainly didn't originate with me -- that 'lies and misconception go around the world 3 times before truth and perspective get their boots on,'" Housel said. "I think that's what we're dealing with. Especially when you say something that people want to hear.

"If Alabama people want to think that Auburn people are bad and terrible, you get this urban myth out there and they say, 'Uh huh, I told you so.' The myth's not true. The same thing's true if Auburn people want to think Alabama people are bad and terrible -- some urban myth comes up about their fan base. With the talk radio and the Internet, I think the urban myth spread is a lot bigger."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: But PAAAWWWWLLL, I SEEN it!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
I was at Auburn when he died.  It didn't happen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »

I bet you were a ring leader.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »

You old sumbitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »

LIAR!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
LIAR!!!

But Legend said that he has a great uncle who had a cousin in law that knew this guy who said he talked to someone that had a friend with a picture of it all. I SEEN IT I SEEN IT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
LIAR!!!

The Oaks were only 6 feet tall back then anyway so it wouldn't have been that big a deal even if we had rolled them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

I was in Germany-Did not happen there either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
I was in Germany-Did not happen there either.

However, you DID raise a glass in toast didn't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
I was half a year old...didn't happen there either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
If only any of those cousingrinders gave a shit about the truth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
However, you DID raise a glass in toast didn't you?

A small one:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
I was half a year old...didn't happen there either.

Get the hell off my lawn
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
God damn brewery! You know that brewery makes 10,000 bottles of beer a day. I drink 45 of them, and I'm the asshole!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
God damn brewery! You know that brewery makes 10,000 bottles of beer a day. I drink 45 of them, and I'm the asshole!

I was in Thailand, playing Ping-Pong in Ding Dang. I was in a real high-stakes game in some opium den. Turned out the guys I was playing aren't the kind of guys who like to lose. After I beat them... they beat me. Worked me over pretty good. And this is hard to say... but they held me down... and they shoved a ping pong paddle up my ass. It's never been the same. I'm damaged goods.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
It's $10 for a BJ, $12 for an HJ, $15 for a ZJ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
It's $10 for a BJ, $12 for an HJ, $15 for a ZJ.

I've got $4.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »
I was in Kindergarten.  I can tell you that we celebrated with cookies and kool-aid followed by the ceremonial victory nap.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
I was in Kindergarten.  I can tell you that we celebrated with cookies and kool-aid followed by the ceremonial victory nap.

The tard nation will be over momentarily to poison the hedges in front of that building.

You heartless fuckers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions