Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

NASCAR...Is Little E....

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
NASCAR...Is Little E....
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
the most overrated athlete/sports figure of all time?  Okay, I know it's NASCAR talk and many of you have a great disdain for the sport.  But those of you who get into it, I have to ask that question.  I became a casual racing fan years ago when Gordon was dominating.  My best friend loved NASCAR and like many fans, hated Gordon just because.....

Well, even though I had no dog in the fight, I became a Gordon bandwagoner just to piss him off and have something to argue about.  I actually became somewhat of a fan, at least to the point that I keep up with who is doing what.  I'll keep up with the results and standings each week.  Anywho...watched the race Sunday night and lo and behold, it looked like Junior was going to finally bust out of his 0-100+ slump.  Way out in the lead, one turn to go....sputter, clank, putt-putt-putt....out of gas...1st to 7th in a blink of an eye.  Streak continues.

Now, I'm not a Dale Jr. hater one way or another but has any sports figure had more fans, more endorsements, more hype than this guy...with so little success?  He is still, without a doubt, the #1 name in the sport but damn.  If he doesn't win another (Not likely that he'll go 0'fer) will he go down as the biggest flop in sports?  He's having a decent year to this point despite no wins but you've got to take a checkered flag at least once every decade or so, don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: NASCAR...Is Little E....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
NASCAR the most overrated athlete/sports figure of all time

Does not compute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
Now, I'm not a Dale Jr. hater one way or another but has any sports figure had more fans, more endorsements, more hype than this guy...with so little success?  He is still, without a doubt, the #1 name in the sport but damn.  If he doesn't win another (Not likely that he'll go 0'fer) will he go down as the biggest flop in sports?  He's having a decent year to this point despite no wins but you've got to take a checkered flag at least once every decade or so, don't you?

Keep up with the results and may catch a race or two if I am flipping through the channels, so this is an outsiders opinion. I feel kinda bad for the guy, he is expected to be his dad by fans and the media and he will never drive like his dad.  He is the face of the sport b/c of his name, who his dad was and his "aww shucks" attitude.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He is a decent driver, but Jimmie Johnson should be the face of the sport. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
the most overrated athlete/sports figure of all time?  Okay, I know it's NASCAR talk and many of you have a great disdain for the sport.  But those of you who get into it, I have to ask that question.  I became a casual racing fan years ago when Gordon was dominating.  My best friend loved NASCAR and like many fans, hated Gordon just because.....

Well, even though I had no dog in the fight, I became a Gordon bandwagoner just to piss him off and have something to argue about.  I actually became somewhat of a fan, at least to the point that I keep up with who is doing what.  I'll keep up with the results and standings each week.  Anywho...watched the race Sunday night and lo and behold, it looked like Junior was going to finally bust out of his 0-100+ slump.  Way out in the lead, one turn to go....sputter, clank, putt-putt-putt....out of gas...1st to 7th in a blink of an eye.  Streak continues.

If he had only watched "Cars" he would have known that you have to pit every now and then.  Really weird considering that he voiced a character.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »
Keep up with the results and may catch a race or two if I am flipping through the channels, so this is an outsiders opinion. I feel kinda bad for the guy, he is expected to be his dad by fans and the media and he will never drive like his dad.  He is the face of the sport b/c of his name, who his dad was and his "aww shucks" attitude.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He is a decent driver, but Jimmie Johnson should be the face of the sport.

Agreed.  The problem with Johnson is no one would recognize the guy if he walked through the door right now.  Has absolutely ripped up the sport the last 5-6 years but despite some attempts to market the guy in recent years, he's just not the face of the sport.  NASCAR desperately needs either Junior to succeed or it needs someone like Tony Stewart to kick ass again.....or God forbid, Kyle Bush to win a championship. They need someone recognizable to take the lead...someone the fans either love or hate the hell out of to win the cup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
Agreed.  The problem with Johnson is no one would recognize the guy if he walked through the door right now.  Has absolutely ripped up the sport the last 5-6 years but despite some attempts to market the guy in recent years, he's just not the face of the sport.  NASCAR desperately needs either Junior to succeed or it needs someone like Tony Stewart to kick ass again.....or God forbid, Kyle Bush to win a championship. They need someone recognizable to take the lead...someone the fans either love or hate the hell out of to win the cup.

Mark Martin?  In being a casual fan, I would like to see him win one.  Damn good story and he seems to be a genuine nice guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
Mark Martin?  In being a casual fan, I would like to see him win one.  Damn good story and he seems to be a genuine nice guy.

He is a genuine DICKHEAD.  I worked security in the pits at Dega for three years, and that is one maingy (sp?) looking little piece of shit.  I've seen him elbow fans away from him while other drivers were signing autographs all around him.  I've also witnessed how he treats his crew, and the guy is just a dick.  I hope that little piece of shit never wins anything again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
He is a genuine DICKHEAD.  I worked security in the pits at Dega for three years, and that is one maingy (sp?) looking little piece of shit.  I've seen him elbow fans away from him while other drivers were signing autographs all around him.  I've also witnessed how he treats his crew, and the guy is just a dick.  I hope that little piece of shit never wins anything again.

So, you're saying Martin is not a nice man?

Hey, since you were down there for that long, spill the beans. Who is cool?  Who is respected...a dick....dirty little secrets....?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
He is a genuine toolHEAD.  I worked security in the pits at Dega for three years, and that is one maingy (sp?) looking little piece of poop.  I've seen him elbow fans away from him while other drivers were signing autographs all around him.  I've also witnessed how he treats his crew, and the guy is just a tool.  I hope that little piece of poop never wins anything again.

Hmm, never would have thought it.  I knew a guy that was rear tire changer for Bobby Hillin Jr and he always talked about what a nice guy he was and always had time to talk to the other drivers and people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
I never saw that side of Martin.  Robbie Gordon likes to party on the infield and can be found driving his golf cart around while drunk.  Actually seems like a regular guy.  Jeff Gordon acts like a spoiled brat.  He always misses the bus that takes the drivers to the prerace introductions, and would come up to the gate in his blacked out Tahoe after everybody else went through.  Oh yeah, the Labontes are some of the nicest people I have met while being down there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
I never saw that side of Martin.  Robbie Gordon likes to party on the infield and can be found driving his golf cart around while drunk.  Actually seems like a regular guy.  Jeff Gordon acts like a spoiled brat.  He always misses the bus that takes the drivers to the prerace introductions, and would come up to the gate in his blacked out Tahoe after everybody else went through.  Oh yeah, the Labontes are some of the nicest people I have met while being down there.

Were you around either of the Bush's at that time?  Just perception from what you see and read, it looks like Kurt started out as the a-hole but has seemed to mellow while Kyle has taken over the #1 donkey position.  Is he as big a prick outside the spotlight as it seems like he would be?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Were you around either of the Bush's at that time?  Just perception from what you see and read, it looks like Kurt started out as the a-hole but has seemed to mellow while Kyle has taken over the #1 donkey position.  Is he as big a prick outside the spotlight as it seems like he would be?

I never had any dealings with either of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
Just checked DEJ's earnings and not surprisingly, he topped the list of all NASCAR drivers.  Despite finishing 21st in points in 2010 and 25th in 2009, his earnings for 2010 were $29 million.  That doesn't include outside endorsements.  Hendrick was tops among teams at $350 million for 2010.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
I had a fraternity brother who worked for Rusty Wallace, and I would follow Rusty because of him.  Once Rusty retired, I haven't kept up with it like I did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
We totally agree!

Signed,
Tony Romo and Anna Kournikova
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
We totally agree!

Signed,
Tony Romo and Anna Kournikova

Uuummm....uuhh...okay Beevis
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
Uuummm....uuhh...okay Beevis

Were you not asking for overrated athletes...are we not in the tree with the nest?  I thought we were in the tree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
Were you not asking for overrated athletes...are we not in the tree with the nest?  I thought we were in the tree.

Okay, yes we are in the tree with the nest.  But to say Kournikova is overrated is nothing short of blasphemy.  She has been #1 in my heart and my shower for many years now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Okay, yes we are in the tree with the nest.  But to say Kournikova is overrated is nothing short of blasphemy.  She has been #1 in my heart and my shower for many years now.

This has nothing to do with her being hot, if she were a model she wouldn't be in this conversation.  She sucked at tennis.

You aren't allowed to ask any more hypotheticals get on your scooter and go drink some landshark.

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
This has nothing to do with her being hot, if she were a model she wouldn't be in this conversation.  She sucked at tennis.

You aren't allowed to ask any more hypotheticals get on your scooter and go drink some landshark.

:facepalm:

I challenge you to find more beautiful strokes than Anna's.  Besides, she was one of the few heterosexuals in the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions