Russell Wilson

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
Russell Wilson
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Story...

Let the Russell Wilson Sweepstakes begin

By Matt Hinton

If you were Russell Wilson, and you were currently earning a paycheck in the minor leagues of the sport that could be your bread and butter for the next decade, at least, getting your release papers from N.C. State might be the sign you've been waiting for to go ahead and put the football thing to bed. Which is just one more reason you're not Russell Wilson: The former All-ACC pick not only wants to ride out his final season of eligibility under center next fall, but he — or a source close to him speaking to ESPN's Joe Schad — is "95 percent" certain it's going to happen. A dozen schools reportedly lit up Wilson's phone over the weekend after he was handed his walking papers from N.C. State on Friday.

As the early round of suitors suggests, the market for versatile, veteran signal callers who can play right away (Wilson needs a waiver to avoid the usual season on the bench, likely a formality) never runs dry — especially in a place like South Carolina, where the demand only recently came into existence. With the Gamecocks' own versatile, veteran signal caller on the fence for the fall and the top backup looking even further behind the curve lately than he was last year, Carolina has an unexpected vacancy Wilson could fill immediately with minimal drop-off from Stephen Garcia in a do-or-die year for winning the SEC East.

Elsewhere, Auburn's green new quarterbacks were overshadowed this spring by the even greener Auburn defense. The crowd at Wisconsin's spring game was "frightened" by what it saw from the trio vying to replace Scott Tolzien. Kansas State is breaking in a new QB and is certainly no stranger to integrating transfers into the program. Rick Neuheisel might crawl from UCLA with a scholarship clinched in his teeth if he thought there was any chance of solving the circle of doom that threatens to put him in the unemployment line. Et cetera.

Not that Wilson is any kind of savior: He's a second-team All-ACC pick. But like Jeremiah Masoli during the vision quest that led him to Ole Miss last year, wherever Wilson lands is certain to welcome him as an instant and undeniable upgrade over the unsettling question marks it faces at the moment, while everyone else's roster stands still. Feed "instant upgrade" through the magazines, message boards and depth charts that make up the preseason optimism machine, and a new star — or at least the expectation of one — is born.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Let-the-Russell-Wilson-Sweepstakes-begin?urn=ncaaf-wp1143

and

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6465669

Thoughts?

EDIT: Did some digging and looks like we didn't offer. More Joe Shad BS apparently that other people took and ran with. Insinuating that we were after him. Doesn't look to be the case.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:17:22 PM by Xanusus »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

Re: Russell Wilson
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
Conner Shaw is Spurrier's guy with or without Garcia though adding a reserve would be a smart move. But I seriously doubt Wilson would be as good as Garcia or even on par with Masoli in this league.
Florida and Auburn are set at QB IMO and only a surefire stud would draw their attention. If this kid's the shit then Saban would have him locked up today after the Cam Newton experience...if only to keep the kid from doing Alabama harm.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
Conner Shaw is Spurrier's guy with or without Garcia though adding a reserve would be a smart move. But I seriously doubt Wilson would be as good as Garcia or even on par with Masoli in this league.
Florida and Auburn are set at QB IMO and only a surefire stud would draw their attention. If this kid's the shit then Saban would have him locked up today after the Cam Newton experience...if only to keep the kid from doing Alabama harm.

Maybe our coaches know something we don't (go figured, eh?). 

But from what I've heard and seen, Trotter and Moseley not only seem to be lackluster for next season, they seem to be lackluster for the long haul. 

Frazier is a highly touted recruit along with Zeke Pike coming in.  Russell Wilson is a baller.  If not the best passer on the planet, he's incredibly athletic and could do a lot this season while allowing Frazier to get a year's worth of college football under his belt.

Maybe there's character issues we don't know about.  Maybe Trotter is the next Brees.  But my gut says we could use this kid this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
No character issues that I know of. Graduated from NC St. already and coaches cut him because he wasn't there for spring practice but was instead doing his baseball thing in the minor league system up there for the Rockies. They didn't want someone with split priorities I guess.

He's a good passer, is fast and mobile but a little on the short side for QB's. Lead the ACC in TD's and total offense. Apparently though, we weren't one of the twelve teams who were interested although Joe Shad insinuated that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
Dont know what the problem is there...clearly it's a difference in philosophy, artistic differences, whatever...nothing of 'character' has been made public that I'm aware of. 

I hate to see us get in a rut of "one year wonders", but if they're "wonders" then I guess it's not that bad a deal. 

Time will tell...if this guy wants to play football, and fits in...I'll take the experience if he wants to come to Auburn, and he's the best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »
He's definitely got a lot of upside. Good standing academically. No trouble with the law. Leads ACC in total offense. 3 year starter. ACC rookie of the year in 2008. Fast. Good passer. Doesn't throw picks. Has like a 368 play stretch of no picks or something.

The coach basically told him that due to his split priorities he wasn't going to get a fair shot to return as starter and would ride the bench.???? No wonder NCSt. stinks!

How do you tell a 3 year starter who is the most productive QB in the ACC that led his team just the previous year to a huge victory over WVU and was named MVP, only lost three games, etc that he's going to sit on the bench? Just dumb! And all simply because he's playing minor league baseball for the Rockies during spring practice? Hello, you know the guy is good. Been your starter for three years! NCSt.'s coach is a DA!

I'd love to have this guy for one year at Auburn and maybe redshirt Frazier. That would be almost perfect. I'm hearing though that we aren't interested.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
Maybe our coaches know something we don't (go figured, eh?). 

But from what I've heard and seen, Trotter and Moseley not only seem to be lackluster for next season, they seem to be lackluster for the long haul. 

Frazier is a highly touted recruit along with Zeke Pike coming in.  Russell Wilson is a baller.  If not the best passer on the planet, he's incredibly athletic and could do a lot this season while allowing Frazier to get a year's worth of college football under his belt.

Maybe there's character issues we don't know about.  Maybe Trotter is the next Brees.  But my gut says we could use this kid this season.
I know nothing of him other than what I have read and a comment by Jim Dunaway. Are Trotter and Mosely lackluster QBs? I don't know! Would Chizik and Gus go to the well for a transfer again? How would it affect the team? Not disagreeing with any ideas and certainly wouldn't want to turn away a good fit. I think having Cam will ruin all potential QB transfers for me for a long time. You like cards?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
5'11" 205lb QB....not gonna work against SEC Defenses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I know nothing of him other than what I have read and a comment by Jim Dunaway. Are Trotter and Mosely lackluster QBs? I don't know! Would Chizik and Gus go to the well for a transfer again? How would it affect the team? Not disagreeing with any ideas and certainly wouldn't want to turn away a good fit. I think having Cam will ruin all potential QB transfers for me for a long time. You like cards?

I'm feeling the same. I don't follow ACC football well enough but did some looking into this when it hit ESPN today. He's a lot better than the biased media would let you in on. He blows Ponder, Taylor, and Harris away but you never hear about guys like this until now unless you follow ACC football.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:31:00 PM by Xanusus »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:55 PM »
Can Yoxercise lengthen him any?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:25 AM »
Can Yoxercise lengthen him any?
He's already a Senior, now if he'd came to Auburn a few years ago...then most definitely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »

Do you realize how short Trotter is?

Also, I believe the same statements were made about Cam last year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Yeah.

Signed,
Randy Campbell
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »

That's a bammer like statement!  Don't be stupid. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 11:06:10 AM »

Didn't know Cam grew 7" last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
Didn't know Cam grew 7" last season.
Maybe Yox can get it done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »

6'2" is taller than 5'11".  And no, those same statements weren't made about Cam's height.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
First off, I'd love to have this guy. I've watched him in several games in his career and he's a damn good athlete, accurate arm and obviously very experienced.   How can it be a bad thing to have a solid 3 year starter on your roster?  I would imagine that the coaches are hoping that Auburn's future at the QB position will be in the hands of either Frazier or Pike so having a player like this for one year can only help, especially if Frazier gets to redshirt.

It's not like we don't have the room on the roster either. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
First off, I'd love to have this guy. I've watched him in several games in his career and he's a damn good athlete, accurate arm and obviously very experienced.   How can it be a bad thing to have a solid 3 year starter on your roster?  I would imagine that the coaches are hoping that Auburn's future at the QB position will be in the hands of either Frazier or Pike so having a player like this for one year can only help, especially if Frazier gets to redshirt.

It's not like we don't have the room on the roster either.

Why have you watched several NC State games?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Why have you watched several NC State games?
because his wife doesn't put out
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum