Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

From MrSEC.com...

Ogre

From MrSEC.com...
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »
REPORT: DOCUMENTS SHOW WINSTON NOT TRUTHFUL ABOUT MORTGAGE
April 18th, 2011 â•‘ Posted By: John Pennington â•‘ Permalink â•‘ Tags: Alabama, Auburn

For most of 2011, the website SportsByBrooks.com has been a go-to site for tips, leaks, allegations and accusations about Auburn’s football program.  That hasn’t sat well with Tiger fans.  But maybe now they’re starting to warm to the site.

You see, since AuburnSports.com’s Jeffery Lee accused an Alabama fan of giving cash and a car to signee Brent Calloway, SportsByBrooks has shifted its focus to the Crimson Tide.

The site’s latest story?  Yesterday they posted an official document showing that Harland “Peaches” Winston’s mortgage was paid off on September 4th, 2009.  Winston is the adoptive father of Calloway.  Lee suggested on his site and on an Alabama radio station that a Tide backer had helped Winston pay off his mortgage.  The booster — Darren Woodruff — and Winston have denied that charge.  Winston even told a newspaper that his mortgage had been “paid off for 15 years.”

Whoops.

Now who knows how/why his mortgage was paid off in 2009, but Winston’s decision to claim it was paid off in 1996 seems like an odd choice.  Especially since documents pertaining to his mortgage are available to the public (and websites like SportsByBrooks).

But here’s the kicker: The site points out that “Winston’s mortgage was paid off in full two months after Calloway first verbally committed to play football at Alabama.”

Perhaps — perhaps, I say — this is just a coincidence.  Or perhaps there’s something to this.  Winston certainly made it clear when his son changed his commitment from Alabama to Auburn late in the recruiting process that he wasn’t happy with the decision.

“I’m from the old school,” Winston said in January.  “When you shake a man’s hand, look him in the eye and make a commitment, you stick to that commitment.”  Especially if that man has helped pay off Papa’s mortgage.

Let’s be clear here, there is no proof of any wrongdoing.  Not yet anyway.  And even if there is some proof out there that Woodruff aided Winston in paying off his mortgage, the NCAA would still need to be convinced that the two men were not long-time buddies.  They would have to believe Woodruff helped Winston pay off his mortgage for the purpose of landing Calloway at Alabama, not because Woodruff is Winston’s pal (as has been repeatedly claimed).

So far, no proof.  And for the record, we said the same thing umpteen times when covering Auburn’s controversy and the dozens of reports/allegations that have yet to produce a single official NCAA accusation.

If nothing else, however, it seems likely that all of the smoke billowing out of the Heart of Dixie these days will cause the NCAA to send a few sleuths to Tuscaloosa on their days off from Auburn.  Considering the two schools’ NCAA track records, its probably not a good thing for them to have investigators digging through their dirty laundry.

Jon Solomon of The Birmingham News posted an excellent column over the weekend explaining how Tiger and Tide fans might eventually tear their favorite programs down via the finger-pointing they’re now doing.

Not surprisingly, the reader responses under the story simply target the messenger for daring to point out the dangers of the land mines that are being laid across the state.  We know the feeling.  That’s also been the response when we’ve suggested the two fanbases might want to cool it on the accusation front.

Too bad.  Because Solomon is correct.

The words of Powers Boothe in the classic 80′s cheesefest, “Red Dawn” are fitting when it comes to the Cold War being waged between many Tide and Tiger backers.

“All that hate’s gonna burn you up, kid.”  Only instead of communists, it may be NCAA investigators who start parachuting into Alabama.

Link
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:44:39 PM by Ogre »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: From MrSEC.com...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
A few questions that need to be asked, and answered are:  How much did he pay to pay it off?  Was it simply his last payment as scheduled?  Was he behind as alleged, then suddenly solvent again with back payments and final payment?  What was the balance he paid off?

If he made an on time last payment of $1500 like he had every month for 10, or 15 years, then meh.

Did he accelerate the payoff by months or years, or catch up months with a large sum?  A little more interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »
Let’s be clear here, there is no proof of any wrongdoing.  Not yet anyway.  And even if there is some proof out there that Woodruff aided Winston in paying off his mortgage, the NCAA would still need to be convinced that the two men were not long-time buddies.  They would have to believe Woodruff helped Winston pay off his mortgage for the purpose of landing Calloway at Alabama, not because Woodruff is Winston’s pal (as has been repeatedly claimed).

So far, no proof.

Haven't we dealt with this scenario on this message board plenty of times in the past?

If you make the claim, it's your responsibility to provide the evidence.  You say you've been friends for 20 years, and that's why Woodruff paid off your mortgage?  Prove it.  The onus is on you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
Haven't we dealt with this scenario on this message board plenty of times in the past?

If you make the claim, it's your responsibility to provide the evidence.  You say you've been friends for 20 years, and that's why Woodruff paid off your mortgage?  Prove it.  The onus is on you.

Honestly, this is the type of scenario where "if there's smoke, then there's fire" comes in to play, unlike that phrase uttered millions of times about Cam and Auburn.  What I'm saying is, if Woodruff gave Peaches a large sum of money right after Brent committed, I don't think the NCAA is going to care much about how long they have been friends, unless Woodruff and Peaches can specifically show this wasn't the first time.  I said this all during Cam's saga, but the primary reason nobody's pee pee got whacked was that no money changed hands.  When money changes hands, it's a whole different ball of wax at that point.  Peaches, apparently lying about it surely doesn't help matters, and that's one more piece to the puzzle. 

And like the bammers are so fond of doing: "Well, Peaches, Saban, Woodruff, bammer compliance dept...this requires you address this in a statement to the press.  Silence won't be tolerated here...we must have a statement.  I mean, if there's nothing to it, wouldn't you come out and say so?  If there's something to hide, wouldn't you remain silent?"  Hmmmmm?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
The document  posted by Brooks has nothing to do with when Winston's morgage was paid off because it is a release and not a proof of payment ( which is not public record). I paid off a rental home and did not receive the release until five years later when I requested one because I was selling it the current tenant. The release is dated the day it was granted not the day I paid the home off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
The document  posted by Brooks has nothing to do with when Winston's morgage was paid off because it is a release and not a proof of payment ( which is not public record). I paid off a rental home and did not receive the release until five years later when I requested one because I was selling it the current tenant. The release is dated the day it was granted not the day I paid the home off.

So you're saying this proves Jerrell Harris is driving a stolen Charger?

Damn, I knew it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »

So it's just coincidental that the release was sent out right after Brent Calloway committed to Alabama?

And it's just a coincidence that the release was requested and sent out 15 years after the mortgage was paid off and BC committed to Alabama?

And it's also just coincidental that BC, a stud in the 8th grade, transferred to Russellville High to live with "Peaches" (lol) and became close with Woodruff. 

Just a bunch of coincidences. And dumbass Brooks and dumbass JLee think they mean something....

You may be right.  But it's a stinky fish. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
I think from now on, the (lol) should follow every mention of Peaches (lol)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
I think from now on, the (lol) should follow every mention of Peaches (lol)

He's a grown man named Peaches. 

HAHAHAHAHA. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
The smoke is there and it's not getting fanned by the bammer media, but the fire is still there.  This fire is real, not like the one that the bammers tried to "imagine".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Token

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
The smoke is there and it's not getting fanned by the bammer media, but the fire is still there.  This fire is real, not like the one that the bammers tried to "imagine".

Why did you put imagine in quotes? Are you implying that we didn't imagine it?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

Semantics.

You should have been more critical of his grammar. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »

Case in point...has anyone heard one word about Patick Peterson's situation at aTm and LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
Semantics.

You should have been more critical of his grammar.

I'm not an English teacher, I've just seen Role Models a few too many times. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
Imagine that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »
I put it in quotes because of your retarded brethern's posts on bammerOnLine called "Imagine", "Imagine II", "Imagine III", "Imagine IV", "Imagine V".  I'm not sure if he posted anymore "Imagine" posts after the NCAA ruled that Cam was and has been eligible to play this season at Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
I put it in quotes because of your retarded brethern's posts on bammerOnLine called "Imagine", "Imagine II", "Imagine III", "Imagine IV", "Imagine V".  I'm not sure if he posted anymore "Imagine" posts after the NCAA ruled that Cam was and has been eligible to play this season at Auburn.

Well that makes sense.

But periods and commas go inside the quotation marks.  Always.

Semicolons and colons go outside the quotation marks.  Always. 

You put question marks and exclamation points inside the quotation marks if the quote is a question or an exclamation. 

You put question marks and exclamation points outside the quotation marks if the entire sentence is a question or exclamation and the quote is simply part of it. 
 #winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »

Well that makes sense.

You put question marks and exclamation points inside the quotation marks if the quote is a question or an exclamation. 

You put question marks and exclamation points outside the quotation marks if the entire sentence is a question or exclamation and the quote is simply part of it. 
 #winning

Mmmmm... Oh yes...yes, baby... Grammar me...

Damn, that is HOT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »
Well that makes sense.

#winning
Lolz! OMG WTF Pwnt!  :rofl: ROFL
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions