Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Barkley on Cam

Barkley on Cam
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
Charles Barkley joined KJOX in Birmingham, Ala., to talk about the All Star Game and surrounding festivities including who his favorite musical performers were, meeting Cam Newton, and other fun topics in a lengthy chat with his hometown guys.

On what he thought was the best musical performer of the week, a question currently being polled on his new website, CharlesBarkley.com:

"Well I'm going to cross off Cee Lo Green because I love that song and when you say the words 'Forget You' instead of the real words, it's makes the song suck. ... I've heard it a couple times when he says 'Forget You,' I'm like, that is such a waste. It kills the song. But I'll tell you who I liked -- Lenny Kravitz. Lenny Kravitz sang the private TNT party, he sang a little bit at the All Star Game, but TNT has a party every year for all the TNT employees and their sponsors. We had a private concert Saturday night with Lenny Kravitz, and I like me some Lenny Kravitz.

The hosts then mention Bruno Mars and Barkley is off and running:

"Oh my God. Let me tell you how old Kevin McHale is. So we're doing our show Saturday afternoon and Kevin McHale says, 'Wow what's that guy's name? I really like him.' I said, 'Kevin, that's Bruno Mars. He has the No. 1 song in the world right now.' ... Kevin says he don't listen to today's music. I say dude, Bruno Mars is like, I love his music. He's got this little Frank Sinatra vibe working too."

On meeting Cam Newton and if he was the one who got him tickets to the game:

"You know, I finally got a chance to meet him. Since I keep getting him tickets to all these events, I joked with him, 'I keep hearing I'm getting you tickets to all these events.' I finally got a chance to meet him. He came over, we were actually staying at the same hotel and he came over and said hello to me. And I just told him how proud I am of him and the Auburn team, and what a great season they had. ... Then I said I love you, I'm proud of you, but you can't ever go any higher than No. 3 on the list behind me and Bo [Jackson]. No matter what you accomplished, I said if you had stayed another year and did what you did this year I might have moved you up. But right now, I'm No. 1, Bo [is] No. 2, and you're No. 3. And I felt bad that I had to move Frank Thomas down to No. 4."

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6152040
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Re: Barkley on Cam
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Got me thinking, has there ever been a more beloved athlete that really accomplished less and a more checkered history than Charles?  No titles in college or pros.  Arrested a couple of times.  Gives great interviews.

Charles just played hard, looked like a cartoon character, and was always completely honest.  I think A-Rod, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and a few others could learn a few lessons there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
My old boss was on a flight from Dallas to Phoenix, and was sitting behind Barkley in first class.  Said that everyone who came by wanted to talk to him.  Said Barkley shook every hand, signed every autograph, and took every single picture.  At the end of the flight, my boss went up to him and said, "Mr. Barkley, I work with an Auburn Alum, and he'd be mad if I didn't tell you War Eagle."  Said Barkley put his suitcase down, shook his hand and told him, "You tell him I said War Damn Eagle."

He's OK in my book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
My old boss was on a flight from Dallas to Phoenix, and was sitting behind Barkley in first class.  Said that everyone who came by wanted to talk to him.  Said Barkley shook every hand, signed every autograph, and took every single picture.  At the end of the flight, my boss went up to him and said, "Mr. Barkley, I work with an Auburn Alum, and he'd be mad if I didn't tell you War Eagle."  Said Barkley put his suitcase down, shook his hand and told him, "You tell him I said War Damn Eagle."

He's OK in my book.

And he's right.  To me he's the #1 most popular Auburn athlete nationwide.  Among Auburn fans he may be #1 or #2, probably higher for younger fans who never saw Bo play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »

He's OK in my book.

Agree....

Except for self proclaiming himself number 1 over Bo in Auburn folklore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
Agree....

Would love to hear the stories Sonny Smith hasn't told about Barkley. There has to be much, much more. Barkley gave him fits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
Agree....

Yeah, but what else would anyone expect him to say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
Yeah, but what else would anyone expect him to say.

Is that a question? Or mere fact?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Is that a question? Or mere fact?

Fact that with his personality, I don't think anyone would expect him to say anything different.

I had a friend from high school that not once, but twice had Barkley stop to help him with a flat tire during two separate football seasons and both times it was raining. My friend said that Barkley was totally cool about it and even helped him change his tire, both times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
Agree....

Thats just some smack he runs at Bo, and Bo lets him get away with it
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Fact that with his personality, I don't think anyone would expect him to say anything different.

I had a friend from high school that not once, but twice had Barkley stop to help him with a flat tire during two separate football seasons and both times it was raining. My friend said that Barkley was totally cool about it and even helped him change his tire, both times.

People can say what they like about Charles but after the act he is Auburn through and through.  I personally have never been around someone who is as widely known who is more grounded and Charles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
People can say what they like about Charles but after the act he is Auburn through and through.  I personally have never been around someone who is as widely known who is more grounded and Charles.

Ive only met Charles once, but he was nice.  I  know a good friend of his from Leeds that is a good guy, and says the same thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
Ive only met Charles once, but he was nice.  I  know a good friend of his from Leeds that is a good guy, and says the same thing.

I certainly did not mean to come off as we were hanging out all the time but I have been around him on three different occasions in semi-private settings and he was just as nice and down to Earth as he could be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."