Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A-Day Thoughts

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
A-Day Thoughts
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »
Not insanely exciting. I can't believe there has been a QB controversy between Burns and Todd.

I thought Burns looked heads and tails above the others. I actually thought Caudle even looked better than Todd.

And Furr was kind of bleh, with the exception of laying that DL on his ass!

Also, it seemed our recievers couldn't catch a cold.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:04:49 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: A-Day Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »
Todd didn't look good?

I think Burns is going to be a stud if he can be a consistant passer. Should be fun to watch next year!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »
Todd didn't look good?
Every post game article I've read seemed to think he did great too, but I thought he looked pretty shitty.
Maybe I was at the wrong spring game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
Every post game article I've read seemed to think he did great too, but I thought he looked pretty shitty.
Maybe I was at the wrong spring game.

Or maybe you were just looking at the wrong white boy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
After looking at the numbers that has got to be the case.

I knew Todd started off poorly and eventually got it together, but I didn't think he ended up doing that well. I dunno, I was on the third row from the bottom on the 45, so it was kind of hard to see who was in all the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
Todd had a few really piss-poor throws early on.  IF it was his hurt arm, then I don't really have a problem with it.  However, we just got done with two years of "our QB would be great if he wasn't hurt."

I work at a school that runs the Franklin system.  From what I could tell (and I'm not a Tony Franklin guru), Todd made the right decision with every play.  He always made the right reads and the right checks and threw it where Tony Franklin designed for him to throw it.   I think that's why Todd HAS to be considered for the starting job.  He actually is a Tony Franklin guru. 

As for Burns, I just think he has big play potential.  I personally like Burns a lot more than Todd.  When our receivers are covered, Burns can make some big time plays with his legs.  Todd doesn't have that ability.  I really think our offense will be difficult to stop with a QB that can run. 

Our defense, which seems to have gone under the radar, didn't look all that great.  A lot of times, the only reason why the offense was stopped was because it stopped itself.  There were only a handful of plays where I thought "good defense."  Luckily for my sanity, the defense wasn't allowed to blitz, so it was at a disadvantage.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

kirkAU

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
i was at the game and pretty much had the same impression as yall.  burns looked great, probably would've had even better numbers without the 'don't tackle the qb' rule.   he showed his quickness on the scrambles.   I thought his arm was strong, his accuracy was a little off on a few throws.   

Todd took too long to settle in.  1st quarter with him was rough.  but we'll have to take the wait and see approach to the qb's.  i trust franklin and tubbs will pick the right guy.  franklin has hinted to a dual quarterback system, so maybe both will be used.  caudle will be a good backup.

the RB's.  i know most are hurt and on the DL list.  but the rb's that did play, i was unimpressed. 

Defense: i know we didn't want to "show too much" but the defense did look sluggish.  i remembered more speed on defense last season.  seems like we lost some of it.   hopefully they'll have the quickness back by this fall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
One thing that will make our defense look a lot quicker is to be able to stunt and do different blitzes. If the OL knows the front 7 is coming at them in a base look, they can move to their positions and wait for the defense. I think the speed is still there...and it will show when they are allowed to open up the defensive play book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

kirkAU

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
what was up with the kickers?  a missed extra point?  i know all the kickers got a shot at kickin during the game, but a missed extra point.  and didn't wes miss a 40 yard fg too? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:48:31 PM »
I recall last year leaving the A-Day game and thinking, what the hell are we gonna' do for a kicking game?  Holy crap it was pathetic.  Of course it turned out to be a strong point but man, the spring game was awful in the kicking department.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."