Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

First signs of spring

Re: First signs of spring
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 11:18:13 AM »
I'm sorry, but anything less than 28 million is a joke.  If they offered him 25, which is being reported, then we low balled him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but anything less than 28 million is a joke.  If they offered him 25, which is being reported, then we low balled him.

For ten fucking years though???

You would pay him $280M?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
I've certainly never been in this position...hope to be one day (I can dream)....but when you're talking about $25 as opposed to $28 or $30 million a year...aren't you...oh never mind.

Here's the thing.  I have no problem with any player in any sport gettin' paid.  I have no problem with any owner gettin' paid.  The money is there or else they wouldn't be negotiating contracts of this magnitude.  I understand the process and why the union would be pushing this thing.  Baddest ass player in the league needs to be the highest paid player, thus raising the bar for everyone else.  But, if that's the real reason, just say so.  Otherwise, when you say you want to finish your career somewhere and turn your back on $25 as opposed to $28 million....you come off looking like a greedy bastard. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
ESPN is reporting the deal was worth between 18 mil and 23 mil a year.  Making him paid less than Ryan Howard, which is a fucking insult.

And, WE, I would def pay him 28 mil a year.  Cards have the money.  And it turns out it's a 8 year deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
ESPN is reporting the deal was worth between 18 mil and 23 mil a year.  Making him paid less than Ryan Howard, which is a fucking insult.

And, WE, I would def pay him 28 mil a year.  Cards have the money.  And it turns out it's a 8 year deal.

Surprising to say the least.  Best player in the game.  However, if he's happy playing in Saint Lewee for 8 years at that price, more power to him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »

Yeah...that is an insult. I think he will get at least $25M/year for 7 to 8 years somewhere else. At the very least.

With a 10 year deal at $28M, the problem is paying a player $28M per year in those 8th, 9th and 10th years. Just think, in the 7th year of his contract, he will be close to 39 years old...well past his prime...and he would still be guaranteed close to $81M. That is fucking ridiculous...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
By the way, something that has stuck out with me for a long time...

It was January, probably 7 to 8 years ago, and I was flipping through a Sports Illustrated. They had a calendar of January that covered a page with significant events printed on each day of the month. I was looking over it, and got to January 6th. It said, "Alex Rodriguez has made $450,000 so far this year."

That put it in perspective for me. He made four times as much as me in the first 6 days of the year, than I would hope to make for the next 359 days that year. Holy fuck dude. That is a shit pile of money...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
I agree with most players that a 10 year deal, especially when they are 39-41 is risky.  But, based on past performance, the man has a legit shot to hit 755/762.  While I don't expect him to be belting 40 a year when he's 40, I don't think 15-20 is out of the question (although Aaron, wasn't he hitting mid-30s towards the end of his career?).  It's not like if he's chasing Aaron/Bonds, the stadium won't be packed.

Man has been the face of the team, and the face of the city, for 10 years now.  I'd say 28M/yr, for 8 years.  And I'd even make him part owner.

And yes, it's a shit ton of money.  For what they make in one game, I'd gladly fist Jumbo's dog.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »
By the way, something that has stuck out with me for a long time...

It was January, probably 7 to 8 years ago, and I was flipping through a Sports Illustrated. They had a calendar of January that covered a page with significant events printed on each day of the month. I was looking over it, and got to January 6th. It said, "Alex Rodriguez has made $450,000 so far this year."

That put it in perspective for me. He made four times as much as me in the first 6 days of the year, than I would hope to make for the next 359 days that year. Holy fuck dude. That is a shit pile of money...

Yeah, but after taxes and all....come on, man's gotta' eat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
Hey, Maybe the O's should go after Pujols.  I mean how great would that be to have him and Vlad both?  Fuck pitching, who needs it? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »
Hey, Maybe the O's should go after Pujols.  I mean how great would that be to have him and Vlad both?  Fuck pitching, who needs it?

Who are these "O's" of which you speak?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »
Who are these "O's" of which you speak?

Some miserable ass AAA team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
Some miserable ass AAA team.

Are they anything like the "M's"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Are they anything like the "M's"

Yeah, only worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
With a 10 year deal at $28M, the problem is paying a player $28M per year in those 8th, 9th and 10th years. Just think, in the 7th year of his contract, he will be close to 39 years old...well past his prime...and he would still be guaranteed close to $81M. That is fucking ridiculous...

Fuck you.

Signed,

Jeff Bagwell

It totally sucks to have to pry a legend's fingers off the bench when he gets old and washed up at the end of a multiyear deal because his ginormous salary is sucking the life out of your team and you cannot afford to rebuild...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions