Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

First signs of spring

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: First signs of spring
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
The news had a story tonight about the Suckasstros loading up their useless shit and trucking it off to Kissimmee for some pretend spring training...

They interviewed the Astros manager and until they put up the caption below his picture, I had no fucking clue who he was...  :sad:

And the only team member they talk about as a returning "star" from  last year is pitcher Brad Mills...

WHO?   

Shoot me now... :&
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I had to take a peek at the projected depth chart for the Nubs.

I'm really not sure how the NL Central pitching staffs are going to contain a lineup with Blake DeWitt (say, wasn't that the girl from Three's Company?), Fukudome, Starlin Castro and Jeff Baker (wasn't he Ponch's partner in CHiPs?)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
On a side note, VH1 was playing some SNL reruns last night and had a skit on one of the debates between Obama and McCain.  Bill Murray made an appearance as one of the guest panelists and stood up to ask what both candidates planned to do about the Cubs losing in the playoffs every year. 

BTDUb..Braves at least grab the Wildcard.  We have an Uggla now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
My NL Central predictions:

1/2 - Cards/Cubs (in any order)
3/4 - Brewers/Reds (in any order)
5 - Houston
6 - Pirates
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
We have an Uggla now.

You should see his new Bentley.  Pretty sweet!  :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
The news had a story tonight about the Suckasstros loading up their useless shit and trucking it off to Kissimmee for some pretend spring training...

They interviewed the Astros manager and until they put up the caption below his picture, I had no fucking clue who he was...  :sad:

And the only team member they talk about as a returning "star" from  last year is pitcher Brad Mills...

WHO?   

Shoot me now... :&

Want to know how little I truly know about my own team?

Brad Mills is our MANAGER - not a pitcher...

At least now I know why I had never heard of him...

In my defense, i was taking cold meds, but who am I kidding?  They suck so bad I don't even recognize our GM's name...

:facepalm:

FFML...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Face fuck my labia?

Hmmm...  beats watching the Suckasstros...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Hmmm...  beats watching the Suckasstros...

It beats a lot of things...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
My NL Central predictions:

1/2 - Cards/Cubs (in any order)
3/4 - Brewers/Reds (in any order)
5 - Houston
6 - Pirates

What's your assessment of the other divisions across the board.

Personally, I think the Cubs may be in a better situation than the Cardinals.  I  don't know...I just have a feeling the Cardinals will run into something the Braves did after there run in the 90's and early 2000's before rebounding the last couple of season.  A changing of the guard in teh Central is due. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
What's your assessment of the other divisions across the board.

Personally, I think the Cubs may be in a better situation than the Cardinals.  I  don't know...I just have a feeling the Cardinals will run into something the Braves did after there run in the 90's and early 2000's before rebounding the last couple of season.  A changing of the guard in teh Central is due.

You could be right.  With Pujols, Cards contend for the central, without him, 4th place in the division, at best.  Pujols has set a deadline of the 16th to sign a deal, he has said he will not negotiate during the season.  I can't help but think this is going to be a distraction all season long.

The number of years is apparently the stickler, with Pujols wanting 10 years, and the Cards only giving 7.  My thought on this is pay the damn guy.  He's been a steal since you got him.  Through 10 years, they've spent about 90 million on him.  So for 20 years, you'd be spending 390 million.  He he worth that?  19.5 mil/year?  Absolutely.  Do you want him going into Cooperstown with birds on the bat, dodger blue, or cubbie blue.

In the East, you have to go with Philly.  When Cliff Lee is your #3?  Holy shit.  I'd hate to face them in a 5 game series.  Second place between the Braves and the Mets.  Although I think the Braves are in better shape.  Although both have new staffs, but I like everything I've seen from Atlanta.  Marlins then the Nets.

West, I'll pick the Champs.  I'm curious how Donny Baseball will do at the helm of the Dodgers.

So In the NL:

East - Philly
Central - StL (but I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs do it)
West - SF

WC - Atlanta

So more than likely, SF/ATL on one side, with Philly/STL on the other.

I'll go with a rematch of last years NLCS.  But with Philly winning this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 09:05:46 PM »
Do you want him going into Cooperstown with birds on the bat, dodger blue, or cubbie blue.
Ooh...ooh...lemme answer that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Well... Shit.

Source: Pujols turns down Cards' offer

JUPITER, Fla. • What St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa described Sunday as "a spectacular distraction potentially" came into sharper focus as a source familiar with negotiations confirmed first baseman Albert Pujols recently rejected the team's contract extension offer.

A week after the parties were described as "nowhere close" to an agreement, it appears increasingly likely Pujols will enter camp Wednesday with no deal in place. If so, talks presumably would halt because of a Feb. 15 deadline put in place by Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano. And the likelihood of the three-time National League Most Valuable Player reaching free agency after the upcoming season would increase. Cards general manager John Mozeliak described talks as in a 'sensitive" phase Saturday, then on Sunday night would not comment on the new report.

Lozano rejected the offer two weeks ago, according to reports by ESPN and Fox Sports. However, a source familiar with negotiations said as recently as 10 days ago the Cardinals had not tendered a formal offer.

What may be a matter of semantics underscores the gulf separating the team and its signature player. The Cardinals are unwilling to guarantee more than seven years, while Pujols might be seeking a deal of up to 10 years. It is unclear if the Cardinals plan to offer a modified proposal before the deadline.

The point might be moot - an NL executive said Sunday night the Cardinals "have no chance'' to sign Pujols before he reaches free agency.

The rejected offer, first reported by USA Today, has left both sides pessimistic about beating the deadline.

The Cardinals may indeed be more comfortable allowing other clubs to help sculpt Pujols' market within free agency rather than to negotiate in a vacuum. A source familiar with Pujols described the 10-year-veteran as "at peace" with the situation. Pujols has asserted consistently that he is unafraid of free agency. The stance apparently hardened after talks about an extension went nowhere last spring and were followed by Philadelphia awarding first baseman Ryan Howard a five-year, $125 million extension.

La Russa, breaking a virtual cone of silence that has surrounded the issue, acknowledged unresolved negotiations with Pujols could become a 'spectacular distraction potentially," but hastened that "we won't allow it to be." He instead called it a 'spectacular excuse" should the club underachieve this season.

"It's in the players' hands to concentrate on playing games and not make excuses," La Russa insisted. "If we play bad it's because we weren't good enough to play good or the leadership on the field wasn't good enough."

La Russa spoke Sunday morning almost as if resigned to Pujols reaching opening day unsigned beyond this season. He also noted potential involvement by the Major League Baseball Players Association in urging Pujols to push for top dollar. La Russa spoke confidently that Pujols would resist any such pressure.

"He's not going to listen to the union or his representatives more than he listens to the man upstairs and his family," La Russa said during an impromptu 45-minute morning news conference in his office. "That can be unfair, putting a player in that position. It happens on every team, every year and I have never appreciated that. There should be an acknowledgement about the best situation, and it's not always dollars."

Pujols, 31, is on the final installment of an eight-year, $111 million deal signed in February 2004, shortly before reaching an arbitration hearing and more than a year before he captured his first MVP award. He now seeks a deal that would at least challenge and possibly surpass the $27.5 million annual salary of New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, the game's highest-paid player.

"The pressure that a high-profile player receives from the union and his representatives to push for the last dollar (is) neglecting anything else about that decision - type of organization, loyalty, all that stuff," La Russa said. "I don't think that's a real healthy part of our game. The union is out there for their players to keep setting the bar higher and higher."

La Russa was met with a barrage of Pujols-related questions and said he would advise players against answering inquiries about their teammate's contract status.

La Russa repeatedly dismissed suggestions that Pujols' status as a pending free agent would represent a sideshow.

"I keep hearing this thing about distractions," La Russa noted. "You allow yourself to be distracted. We're not going to allow ourselves to get distracted, which means there are going to be a lot of non-answers. Hopefully, the players will do the same. It's not what we're here for.''

La Russa abstained from discussing specifics of the talks, saying the matter is being handeled by club Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr., Mozeliak and Lozano.

"I think Albert and the people who represent him will figure out how they want to handle that opportunity,'' he said. "Whatever they decide ... I just know that either it gets done before the practice or after it. We're not assembled here to facilitate some news conference or about anything other than our team getting ready. We have one of our key players at an important part of his career. He's got a business decision to make."

Intense media interest will accompany Pujols into camp and throughout the season. Unlike the early scrutiny that followed Mark McGwire's hiring as Cardinals hitting coach last season, interest in Pujols' status is likely to increase as the season unfolds. Even so, La Russa promised that the matter would not grow into a distraction for his team.

"It's not the same, obviously, but it's a good example about something here that could have been a distraction that ended up getting taken care of. It was definitely the way Mark handled it," La Russa noted. "But you choose what you want to think about. The fact is we're here to get ourselves ready to be as good as we can be. Anything that gets in the way of that ... our mission is to not let it happen."

Mozeliak is expected to address media members today, but it remains unclear whether he will address the team's negotiations with Pujols.

Lozano might address the matter on behalf of his client later this week.

ESPN has assigned a crew to Cardinals camp for this week. A crush of national media also is expected to descend upon the complex in numbers greater than last February's McGwire watch.

Such attention easily could extend to placing the team's season within the context of its star player's contract status. Regardless, La Russa said he is confident the team's fan base will view the stories separately.

Asked if both parties could be hurt by attention that could divide the fan base, La Russa asserted, "I don't think either side can get bruised because they've got too many points going into this thing."

Pujols already has constructed a Hall of Fame career, having achieved the minimum 10 years required for consideration. The Cardinals have reached the postseason in six of his seasons and won their first World Series since 1982 with him as their anchor.

"The biggest bruising would be if a team that looks like it should be in contention plays like chumps," he said. "I think our fans would be more unhappy if we don't have a contending 2011 season than anything about Albert. This is a team. He's the best player. But I think it's more important to our fans that the 2011 Cardinals do something that (represents) the organization."

As pitchers and catchers continued to report to camp Sunday, La Russa held his thumb and index finger about an inch apart for emphasis.

"Not this much of me is worried about us not being good enough because of Albert's negotiations."

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, Mother, mother fuck, Mother, mother fuck, fuck Mother fuck, mother fuck
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Well... Shit.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, Mother, mother fuck, Mother, mother fuck, fuck Mother fuck, mother fuck

I scanned the article and didn;t see...but have you heard what the reported offer was he rejected?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »
Well... Shit.

**nm**

I can't even make fun of you for this.   Not that the BKG could do anything worse to me than they already have, but this is genuinely sad...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
I scanned the article and didn;t see...but have you heard what the reported offer was he rejected?

I've not heard any monetary amount attached to the offer, the big hold up seems to be the number of years.  Cards don't want to offer more than a 7 year deal, Pujols wants a 10 year deal.  I'm assuming in the 30 mil/yr range.  Cards don't want to pay a guy who is 40 that kind of money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »
I've not heard any monetary amount attached to the offer, the big hold up seems to be the number of years.  Cards don't want to offer more than a 7 year deal, Pujols wants a 10 year deal.  I'm assuming in the 30 mil/yr range.  Cards don't want to pay a guy who is 40 that kind of money.

I heard the same on SNR yesterday.  Asking $30 mil for 10 years.  I agree on the years and have no idea why 7 years as opposed to 10 would be a sticking point for the guy.  If you're 38 in baseball, you're in a select group of guys hanging on.  He may still be producing but certainly not anywhere close to what he does now.  And to know you've got $30 mil coming your way?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
I heard the same on SNR yesterday.  Asking $30 mil for 10 years.  I agree on the years and have no idea why 7 years as opposed to 10 would be a sticking point for the guy.  If you're 38 in baseball, you're in a select group of guys hanging on.  He may still be producing but certainly not anywhere close to what he does now.  And to know you've got $30 mil coming your way?

It's the Jeff Bagwell plan... :rolleyes:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Mother fucking cock and balls.

The Cardinals' offer would place Pujols in baseball's top 10 in salary, but not in the top five in average annual salary, the source said.

Reporting talks have broken off, and the Cards are ok with him testing the market.

Fucking idiots.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
When the player rep on your own team, Wainright (sp?), is basically admitting that the players union is putting pressure on Pujols and his agent to make the deal of the century, I can see where it's going to break down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions