Fish. Barrel. Bang.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: Jesus H. Christ...
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »
You are such a hypocrite.  I'm so sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee you would be singing the same tune if it were an Alabama politician saying the same thing about his Muslim brothers and sisters.

Immediately going to the Islam as the go to religion was a poor choice. I would have gone with Mormonism or Scientology.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
Immediately going to the Islam as the go to religion was a poor choice. I would have gone with Mormonism or Scientology.

The scientologies...they are serious!!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »
The scientologies...they are serious!!

This demotivational poster would have worked except for ----> Heaven's Gate ≠ Scientology.
Otherwise, kudos for the throwback and I'll see you in 4385 when Hale-Bopp comes back!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
I was reading Tom Clancy's latest (not his best, IMO) and thought of you. 

There was this lawyer who read a report from some soldiers in the field.  Rangers.  They'd been assigned a search and destroy mission in the mountains of Afghanistan and in the course of completing the mission they'd taken out nine Afghani soldiers.  Some they capped in their sleep as they infiltrated a remote cave, searching for a bad guy. 

This lawyer was offended by that.  He worked up the chain to have the soldiers prosecuted for murder. 

It may be a total mischaracterization, but that guy reminded me of how I think you see things.  In his mind he was pursuing a utopian vision, a place where everybody plays by the same rules of left-leaning civilization.  Everything can be accomplished with a carrot, there is no need for sticks. 

I don't know what the character's name is in the book. I can't remember.  I call him Chizloon.

Okay, back to your previously scheduled discussion.

I saw this picture and thought of you.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:55:43 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
I saw this picture and thought of you.

Well you certainly haven't honed your skills in my absence.  Weak effort. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »
I've played in our Contemporary Worship band for years.  I attend a huge Methodist Church here in Dothan and I think it has something to offer everyone.  Yes, they push the tithing, stewardship angle pretty hard but hey, that's between you and God too.  Otherwise, there's no pressure to live this way or that.  Our pastor is a down to earth guy and his sermons talk straight to you in real terms about issues and struggles we all have.  Relationships, work, alcohol, drugs, adultry, greed etc...

You attend, participate, hear the message and it's up to you if you want to apply it to your life or not.  If some of you feel so "Pressured" to follow along like lemmings...I suggest you grow a set.

You're absolutely wrong in your assessment of the effect of modern contemporary church services.

Church has become very much a cultural push rather than a venue for religious teaching.  Theology is appreciated, but the music, the presentations, and the events are the selling points. 

I know my opinion is influenced by numerous personal experiences (I too played in a worship band for almost 15 years), but I've observed enough to warrant making an objective assessment of the state of contemporary church. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
(I too played in a worship band for almost 15 years),

Which one are you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
Wow.  Don't know what church you've been going to or why the in depth analysis.  Contemporary worship is nothing more than an alternative to the tradional type service.  It's more relaxed, no choir, more up to date music as opposed to singing the same old hymns and reciting the same old lines.  The message is exactly the same as the one presented one hour earlier at the traditional service. Just a different atmosphere to worship in.  There's no brainwashing, no "cultural push" or anything out of the norm.  Same message in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Sure that in itself is a selling point, however, our church has literally exploded in membership and gone from 1 traditional service 10-12 years ago to as many as 5 per day.  There's a type of service for just about everyone.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with offering alternatives for adults, children etc in order to get them in the door.  You can choose how you want to worship.  Up to you.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."