Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jesus H. Christ...

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Jesus H. Christ...
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »
BTW. Does the "H" stand for Herbert? That's what I have always been told.

Henry.  It's anglicized!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
Are there any women here today?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
Are there any women here today? 

Taylor's been responding to posts... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »

BOOM goes the dynamite.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
In the vein of offending everybody... I would think that the "do as they are told" would apply to any group of organized people who are led by a charismatic person...  and who, by lack of mental capacity or a "go along to get along" mentality or some other defect of character, will be led like lambs to the slaughter rather than challenge the status quo. 

Jim Jones

David Koresh

Those freaky Comet people

Those fucked up Jonesboro church people

I am Christian, I believe in God, but despite being immersed (haha) in it since infancy, including attendance at a Baptist college, I no longer identify with the Southern Baptist theology because I refused to go along with and wholesale accept certain of their proclamations on social issues.  Their treatment of women and other minorities, as well as gays, pushed me away.  I guess I don't like ANYONE telling me what I will and will not be allowed to believe or do or say if I am to be an accepted part of the group, whether it be a Baptist preacher or a Catholic Pope or Priestess Miriam down in NOLA off Rampart Street.  I am a grown woman, and while I am willing to accept guidance from those more learned in theology, I will make my own decisions as to my relationship with God and living my own life, thankyouverymuch.

That just happens to be my story - I am sure the Methodists, while slightly less self-righteous, have their own issues.  I go to a Methodist church right now and holy smokes, they are money grubbing and try overly hard not to offend anyone - the polar opposite extreme of the hellfire Baptists i grew up around.  My church built a columbarium ON PREMISE right outside the sanctuary so you can sit during church and look out the window knowing that dead people are buried RIGHT THERE - for a small fee, mind you, plus that yearly maintenance fee to clean the bird shit off your plaque in the ground for all eternity. Just... wow.

So, IMO, anyone who surrenders their critical thinking and reasoning skills in the name of theology or any other -ology or -ism is giving up their personal identity in the name of the group identity, and I have a hard time with that.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:44:33 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »
In the vein of offending everybody... I would think that the "do as they are told" would apply to any group of organized people who are led by a charismatic person...  and who, by lack of mental capacity or a "go along to get along" mentality or some other defect of character, will be led like lambs to the slaughter rather than challenge the status quo. 

Jim Jones

David Koresh

I am Christian, I believe in God, but despite being immersed (haha) in it since infancy, including attendance at a Baptist college, I no longer identify with the Southern Baptist theology because I refused to go along with and wholesale accept certain of their proclamations on social issues.  Their treatment of women and other minorities, as well as gays, pushed me away.  I guess I don't like ANYONE telling me what I will and will not be allowed to believe or do or say if I am to be an accepted part of the group, whether it be a Baptist preacher or a Catholic Pope or Priestess Miriam down in NOLA off Rampart Street.  I am a grown woman, and while I am willing to accept guidance from those more learned in theology, I will make my own decisions as to my relationship with God and living my own life, thankyouverymuch.

That just happens to be my story - I am sure the Methodists, while slightly less self-righteous, have their own issues.  I go to a Methodist church right now and holy smokes, they are money grubbing and try overly hard not to offend anyone - the polar opposite extreme of the hellfire Baptists i grew up around.  My church built a columbarium ON PREMISE right outside the sanctuary so you can sit during church and look out the window knowing that dead people are buried RIGHT THERE - for a small fee, mind you, plus that yearly maintenance fee to clean the bird shit off your plaque in the ground for all eternity. Just... wow.

So, IMO, anyone who surrenders their critical thinking and reasoning skills in the name of theology or any other -ology or -ism is giving up their personal identity in the name of the group identity, and I have a hard time with that.

I'm also UMC now tw. Have been a member for a while now. I don't agree 100% with them but its as close as ill get I think. You are right. The money grubbing has gotten insane.  I also don't like the way many churches have perpetuated the tithing myth through the generations using guilt to get monetary gain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
That's very Un-Christian like of you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »

Jim Jones

David Koresh

I agree, I was just targeting the southern Baptists because that is what Bentley is affiliated with...plus, Garman's mangina hamburger bleeds profusely when you discuss baptists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »

Jim Jones

David Koresh

Wonderful post.

I too have gone through a transformation of my religious identity over the past year. 

I've grown tired not of the money-grubbing and the life-controlling, but rather, I've grown very tired of the show many churches try to sell in the name of Jesus.  "Contemporary" church is now a product that is being pushed as the way, the truth, and the life.

The baptist churches I've attended have been the worst at telling me to listen to Chris Tomlin and Co, and by God, that's some of the worst music I've ever heard in my life.  Don't tell me that's the only way to worship God through music. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
That's very Un-Christian like of you. 

I'm sure you'll survive, Sweetpea...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »
Wow this thread is still going........where is Weskey to give his input on religion? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
I've grown tired not of the money-grubbing and the life-controlling, but rather, I've grown very tired of the show many churches try to sell in the name of Jesus.  "Contemporary" church is now a product that is being pushed as the way, the truth, and the life.

You're telling me - I live in Houston, home of Joel Osteen.  A bigger load of touchy feeley horse pucky delivered by a bigger touchy feeley piece of horse pucky ye shall not find anywhere.

Now every church in Houston feels like they have to offer at least one "contemporary/praise" worship service in order to compete with Osteen and his "Everybody's Hands Go UP!"  bible show.  Even venerable institutions like Second Baptist and First Methodist have done it - gotta be "hip and happening" to get butts in pews and dollars in collection plates.

Creeps me out.  Reminds me of the very groups I mentioned before - using charismatic means to sway a crowd into group think and mob mentality.  Sit still and worship within yourself while those around you are gibbering in the aisles and knocking each other in the head with their flailing arms, and you are frowned upon.  I truly wonder how much the participants of those services give into peer pressure and how much is truly worshipful behavior.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
You're telling me - I live in Houston, home of Joel Osteen.  A bigger load of touchy feeley horse pucky delivered by a bigger touchy feeley piece of horse pucky ye shall not find anywhere.

Now every church in Houston feels like they have to offer at least one "contemporary/praise" worship service in order to compete with Osteen and his "Everybody's Hands Go UP!"  bible show.  Even venerable institutions like Second Baptist and First Methodist have done it - gotta be "hip and happening" to get butts in pews and dollars in collection plates.

Creeps me out.  Reminds me of the very groups I mentioned before - using charismatic means to sway a crowd into group think and mob mentality.  Sit still and worship within yourself while those around you are gibbering in the aisles and knocking each other in the head with their flailing arms, and you are frowned upon.  I truly wonder how much the participants of those services give into peer pressure and how much is truly worshipful behavior.

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#The+Vandals:Christian+or+Canadian:356331:s38266707.10419045.4715894.0.2.9%2Cstd_d6378bb64c0d40ad88b458448f413032

It couldn't be worse. From chorus to verse.
It sounds like Korn but a little bit worse.
Is it Christian or Canadian? Guess!
On 90.7 it's bad 311.
Evidently it's a hit. But it stinks to high heaven.

Play the game that isn't fun, can't be ignored,
and can't be won. Someone get me a gun.

It sounds kind of emo, or not so tight screamo.
And he keeps saying 'Him', so i'm gonna say homo.
He's wearing a sweater, like '98 Vedder.
But it's 2002, and the song could be better.

and can't be won. Someone get me a gun.

It's said that those that cannot do
will end up teaching stuff to you,
or some of them find God instead or better yet the border.

I cannot quite place it. It sounds like Ocasek.
But 20 years later, so you might as well face it.
It's so non-commitish, like light Reel Big Fish.
Or rock en Espanol, translated into English.

and can't be won. Someone get me a gun!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:36:57 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »
I've played in our Contemporary Worship band for years.  I attend a huge Methodist Church here in Dothan and I think it has something to offer everyone.  Yes, they push the tithing, stewardship angle pretty hard but hey, that's between you and God too.  Otherwise, there's no pressure to live this way or that.  Our pastor is a down to earth guy and his sermons talk straight to you in real terms about issues and struggles we all have.  Relationships, work, alcohol, drugs, adultry, greed etc...

You attend, participate, hear the message and it's up to you if you want to apply it to your life or not.  If some of you feel so "Pressured" to follow along like lemmings...I suggest you grow a set.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GarMan

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
I agree, I was just targeting the southern Baptists because that is what Bentley is affiliated with...plus, Garman's mangina hamburger bleeds profusely when you discuss baptists.

Nah...  It's the Conservative Christian rants that chap my ass combined with the vague, shallow  references to "most" Christians being narrow-minded, ignorant and incapable of individual thought.  I do believe that some radical Baptist groups out there are just as looney as the extreme Left, but I would not insult all Chrisitians, all Baptists or even all Leftists by associating them to some extreme wacko group or collection of goofball beliefs.  I'm surprised that you clowns still don't get that... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
You attend, participate, hear the message and it's up to you if you want to apply it to your life or not.  If some of you feel so "Pressured" to follow along like lemmings...I suggest you grow a set.

Who have we missed?  Have we pissed off the whole site yet?  Come on!  Don't stop until everyone posts a rant!  We can do it!  USA! USA! USA!    :tits:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Who have we missed?  Have we pissed off the whole site yet?  Come on!  Don't stop until everyone posts a rant!  We can do it!  USA! USA! USA!    :tits:

:soap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
I've played in our Contemporary Worship band for years.  I attend a huge Methodist Church here in Dothan and I think it has something to offer everyone.  Yes, they push the tithing, stewardship angle pretty hard but hey, that's between you and God too.  Otherwise, there's no pressure to live this way or that.  Our pastor is a down to earth guy and his sermons talk straight to you in real terms about issues and struggles we all have.  Relationships, work, alcohol, drugs, adultry, greed etc...

Until I get forced to pledge or give money if I wanna continue to be a member, I.e. consecration Sunday, etc. When over half the service involves money, I'm getting nothing out of it and you've lost me. I'm checked out at that point. The perverting of Christianity by many is exactly why so many have turned away. The dogmatic types Taylor is referring to are exactly those I am talking about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
ITT: Why the Tooth Fairy has it right, and the Easter Bunny can suck a dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
ITT: Why the Tooth Fairy has it right, and the Easter Bunny can suck a tool.

I was reading Tom Clancy's latest (not his best, IMO) and thought of you. 

There was this lawyer who read a report from some soldiers in the field.  Rangers.  They'd been assigned a search and destroy mission in the mountains of Afghanistan and in the course of completing the mission they'd taken out nine Afghani soldiers.  Some they capped in their sleep as they infiltrated a remote cave, searching for a bad guy. 

This lawyer was offended by that.  He worked up the chain to have the soldiers prosecuted for murder. 

It may be a total mischaracterization, but that guy reminded me of how I think you see things.  In his mind he was pursuing a utopian vision, a place where everybody plays by the same rules of left-leaning civilization.  Everything can be accomplished with a carrot, there is no need for sticks. 

I don't know what the character's name is in the book. I can't remember.  I call him Chizloon.

Okay, back to your previously scheduled discussion. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.