Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kiehl Frazier is now a 5 star

Kiehl Frazier is now a 5 star
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
Frazier has now gained his 5th Star according to the new Scout rankings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Kiehl Frazier is now a 5 star
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Frazier has now gained his 5th Star according to the new Scout rankings.

NICE! I be hearing Rivals will have their new rankings out today. There may be several commits to AU getting a 5th star but Calloway may be bumped down to 4.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
but Calloway may be bumped down to 4.

Shocker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
Shocker.

For real, like we didn't see that coming. I believe the reasoning behind it is because he is being recruited as a RB to AU, not a LB. Sounds like bullshit to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
For real, like we didn't see that coming. I believe the reasoning behind it is because he is being recruited as a RB to AU, not a LB. Sounds like bullshit to me.
Scout has had Calloway as a 4* OLB, so I don't see where it's so ridiculous for Rivals to bump him down. But of course, if one service bumps an AU recruit down and another bumps one up, then the service that bumps a kid up is the one that knows what it's doing. Oh, until that service bumps an Alabama recruit up, then an AU kid down, then they're a bunch of prejudiced morons. 

Sort of how all of these years Rivals has been a bammer tool. Until AU signed a stellar class last year that is. Then Rivals is legit, and the other two services that has AU ranked lower don't know what they're doing. But now Rivals is favoring Alabama again I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:06:18 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »
Scout has had Calloway as a 4* OLB, so I don't see where it's so ridiculous for Rivals to bump him down. But of course, if one service bumps an AU recruit down and another bumps one up, then the service that bumps a kid up is the one that knows what it's doing. Oh, until that service bumps an Alabama recruit up, then an AU kid down, then they're a bunch of prejudiced morons. 

Sort of how all of these years Rivals has been a bammer tool. Until AU signed a stellar class last year that is. Then Rivals is legit, and the other two services that has AU ranked lower don't know what they're doing. But now Rivals is favoring Alabama again I guess.

You read the bunker too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Not actually what I was referring to. If Rivals has him has a 5 star OLB, then why bump him down because supposedly he will be a RB at AU? It makes no sense. He is still an excellent athlete.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Not actually what I was referring to. If Rivals has him has a 5 star OLB, then why bump him down because supposedly he will be a RB at AU? It makes no sense. He is still an excellent athlete.
If he's going to be a RB, you have to compare him to the other RBs in the class, and rate him appropriately. While I agree he is an excellent athlete, it might be a matter of he's a better LB than RB. Which would explain why almost everybody was recruiting him as a LB. Even though he will end up at LB or playing scrub duty at RB for his career at AU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »

Rivals adjusted the stars today, the positions and rankings will not be adjusted for a day or two, iirc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
If he's going to be a RB, you have to compare him to the other RBs in the class, and rate him appropriately. While I agree he is an excellent athlete, it might be a matter of he's a better LB than RB. Which would explain why almost everybody was recruiting him as a LB. Even though he will end up at LB or playing scrub duty at RB for his career at AU.

Don't count on the scrub duty thing too much.  Returning next year are

Michael Dyer
O'Mac
Eric Smith
Ladarious Phillips (290 lb. fullback/defensive lineman/redshirt/who knows)
Davis Hooper (Who?)

I guess you can look at that and safely say we rollin 5 deep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
Kris Frost got bumped to 5 Star status, per Rivals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Kris Frost got bumped to 5 Star status, per Rivals.
Pow, Pow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
That just happened. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »
Calloway got dropped to a 4 Star, per Rivals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

:taunt: Rivals' way of formally declaring "We didn't want him anyway."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
:taunt: Rivals' way of formally declaring "We didn't want him anyway."
There always fucking us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »

Per Rivals
The final Rivals100 has been released and a record number of 12 new five-star prospects have been added following a whirlwind two-month evaluation period of all-star games and senior film evaluation.

While the five-star additions will get plenty of attention it is the subtractions that will always get most of the attention, especially the drop of Russellville, Ala., linebacker Brent Calloway. Either way, the final Rivals100 for the class of 2011 will bring with it plenty of excitement, controversy and reaction from fan bases.

While these articles usually begin with the additions to the elite five-star group, the Calloway situation can't be ignored for many reasons. First, the 6-foot-1, 210-pounder was one of the first five-star prospects of the year, checking in most recently at No. 12 in the country after beginning at No. 9 back in June. However, after competing in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic in December and then in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January, it became clear to numerous Rivals.com analysts that Calloway just wasn't in the same rarified air as the other five-star studs.

There have been many opportunities to evaluate Brent Calloway.
"Calloway is clearly rusty playing the linebacker position," said Rivals.com national analyst Barry Every, who was at both events that Calloway attended. "As a linebacker he is fairly lean and he must add at least 20 pounds of muscle mass to become an adequate tackler at the next level while improving tackling angles and learning to wrap up while driving through the ball carrier. He is not polished as a linebacker whatsoever. That being said he is very athletic for an outside linebacker with the ability to cover running backs in the flat."

Rivals.com Florida analyst Chris Nee, who was at the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic with Every covering the action, agrees.

"While Calloway is a versatile athlete who can contribute at running back or outside linebacker, it is tough to make a case for him being amongst the elite five-star prospects at either position," Nee said. "At the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic, he had a good week of practice - working at linebacker - but showed some rust at the position and didn't compare to other prospects at the position seen over the last few months that moved ahead of him."

Calloway is such a controversial figure because his flip from Alabama to Auburn has Tigers fans feeling there is a bias against their favorite team and that the drop in stars was a result in his decision to switch schools. They also feel Calloway should be evaluated and ranked as a running back, the position he has been told he would play at Auburn and the main reason he flipped to the Tigers. Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell talked on both points.

"First off, we don't care where a prospect is going to school," Farrell said. "Two of our analysts came away thinking he wasn't in the same league as some other linebackers around the country after the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic but obviously the final decision would come after the Army Bowl. There we had even more analysts and we all came away with the same opinion, Brent is a very good player, a very good athlete but not big enough or special enough for five-star status at the linebacker position.

"Then it goes back to running back, so we go back and look at the film and we have someone who has seen him play both live. At this point we decided that his best position in college is still linebacker, that's where he projects the best and that even if we flipped him to running back he would fall well short of five-star status. This isn't a James Wilder Jr. situation here where he has an NFL body, long arms or off-the-charts physical skills. Brent is a very good player which is why he's still ranked in the top 40 in the nation, but he's just not in the five-star league in our opinion and Alabama, Auburn, Florida, USC, Ohio State or wherever he was going wouldn't change that."

Rivals.com Senior AMP Producer/Reporter/Analyst Gregg Peterson saw Calloway more than anyone this year and saw him at running back and linebacker.

Lawrence Thomas is the other prospect dropping from five to four stars.
"As a running back, Calloway is a big back that hits the hole hard and uses his tremendous leg drive to break tackles. He is not afraid to lower his shoulders and initiate contact and he runs with deceptive speed and quickness for a big back, but runs a bit too upright. He has great field vision and has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field, makes nice cuts, but like I said runs high. He is a guy that you must wrap up at the waist or he is going to run right through you. He is not a five-star running back because he hasn't shown the ball skills to be considered a three-down back. To me, he just doesn't look natural catching the ball, he kind of fights it and I'm not sure he can maintain his speed and quickness as he adds weight to his frame in the SEC.

Calloway falls from No. 12 to No. 38, a tumble of only 26 spots but also a loss of a coveted fifth star and a major controversy because of the rabid hatred between Auburn and Alabama fans. Just weeks ago 'Bama fans were in love with the highly-rated 'backer from the small Alabama town and Auburn fans couldn't stand him. Now the roles are reversed and he has become the story of the rankings just as he was the story of the U.S. Army All American Bowl with his decision to flip between rivals.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
So do we get him at a 20% discount now since he has dropped a star? :rolleyes:

WHO.  GIVE.  A.  SHIT.  Does not change a damn thing about him, talent wise, as an individual.  Either he has it or he doesn't, and at this point it is splitting hairs.  Probably will just give him another reason to work his ass off and keep that chip on his shoulder every time we play the turds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »
So do we get him at a 20% discount now since he has dropped a star? :rolleyes:

WHO.  GIVE.  A.  SHIT.  Does not change a damn thing about him, talent wise, as an individual.  Either he has it or he doesn't, and at this point it is splitting hairs.  Probably will just give him another reason to work his ass off and keep that chip on his shoulder every time we play the turds.

I agree.  I hope he comes in with a chip on this shoulder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
Probably will just give him another reason to work his ass off and keep that chip on his shoulder every time we play the turds.

I like the way you think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions