Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who's Been More Dominant?

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Who's Been More Dominant?
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
Commentary: Nobody’s little brother
Ronnie Sanders
14 hours ago

When Auburn hired Pat Dye, the game changed for the Tigers – and for the Tide.Recent history had Auburn fans feeling snakebit. One national columnist told me last year that Auburn would never win a national title “because it’s Auburn.”

In 1983, third-ranked Auburn saw the nation’s top two teams lose on New Year’s Day. When the Tigers beat Michigan in the Sugar Bowl, it was party on. A national championship was assumed. Auburn woke up the next morning to find itself still ranked No. 3 in the polls.

In 1988, Auburn was a one-point Tommy Hodson “earthquake” from playing Notre Dame for the national title.

In 1993, Terry Bowden went undefeated and uncrowned.

In 2004, Tommy Tuberville likely doomed Auburn’s chances by laying an egg a year earlier. As the 2003 preseason No. 1 according some publications, Auburn went 7-5 and started 2004 so low in the polls there would be no chance to catch Oklahoma and USC, who met for the crystal ball. The Tigers were relegated to playing Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

The AP recently did a story pointing out that Auburn only claims wire service championships. If Auburn counted championships like several other schools count championships, the Tigers would be sitting on nine (1910, 1913, 1914, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010).

We all know about Alabama’s illustrious history. The Tide “claims” 13 national titles. The NCAA recognizes 11. The NCAA recognizes two for Auburn.

We all know about Alabama’s dominance in the 70’s and before. We also know that Auburn decided in the early 80’s it was going to be a player on the national stage. When Auburn hired Pat Dye, the game changed for the Tigers – and for the Tide.

Tommy Tuberville's 2004 Tigers were 13-0 but didn't make it to the big game.So the question begs, is Auburn Alabama’s “little brother?”

Auburn ended Alabama’s nine game Iron Bowl winning streak in 1982. It has been 30 years since Pat Dye was asked, “How long is it going to take you to beat Alabama?” He gave a simple answer: “60 minutes.” Let’s take a look back at the past 30 years…

National Titles since 1981
Auburn: 1 (2010)
Alabama: 2 (1992, 2009)

SEC Titles since 1981
Auburn: 6 (1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 2004, 2010)
Alabama: 5 (1981, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2009)

Undefeated Seasons
Auburn: 3 (1993, 2004, 2010)
Alabama: 2 (1992, 2004)

Iron Bowl Wins
Auburn: 17 (1982, 1983 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010)
Alabama: 13 (1981, 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, 2009)

Wins since 1981
Auburn: 254 (11 nationally)
Alabama: 226 (22nd nationally)

SEC Wins Since 1981
Auburn: 141
Alabama: 129

Bowls Since 1981
Auburn: 22 (15-6-1)
Alabama: 19 (12-7)

Heisman Trophy Winners since 1981
Auburn: 2
Alabama: 1

NCAA Probations since 1981
Auburn: 1
Alabama: 3

Alabama has an all-time winning record versus every school in the SEC. However, the Tide only has a .540 winning percentage versus Auburn, lower than any school in the conference. Since 1981, Auburn has a .567 winning percentage against the Tide.

Auburn has recorded 28 more overall wins than Alabama over the past 30 years. Even when you add in the 30 wins Alabama lost due to NCAA sanctions, the win totals are almost identical (Auburn 254, Alabama 256).

Bottom lines are also similar. In 2008, Auburn brought in $89.3 million. Alabama banked $88.8 million. In 2009, riding a cash wave from winning a national championship, the Tide brought in $129.3 million. Auburn made $92.6 million. Expect a similar jump for Auburn when the 2010 numbers are released.

Since 1981 Auburn has won more SEC titles, won more games, won more SEC games, had more undefeated seasons, won more Iron Bowls, been to more bowls, won more bowls and had more Heisman Trophy winners than Alabama.

Alabama has won one more national title than Auburn and has been placed on NCAA probation three times trying to keep pace.

Bo Jackson ends Auburn's Iron Bowl drought going "Over the Top" in 1982.Pat Dye once said, “When I took this job, you couldn’t find a damn Auburn t-shirt, a damn Auburn hat, a damn Auburn bumper sticker anywhere in this state. Of course, that all changed when we got to whipping their ass.”  :clap:

Dye’s hiring at Auburn was a program changer. All four of Auburn’s permanent coaches (Bill Oliver had a brief interim tenure in 1998 when Terry Bowden resigned at mid-season) since 1981 has won an SEC championship or has gone undefeated. Terry Bowden didn’t win a championship, but he went unbeaten in 1993 and lost the SEC Championship Game by a single point in 1997.

Alabama has cycled through nine coaches in the past 30 years. Five have won SEC titles (including Bryant’s in 1981). One of those, Bill Curry, left for Kentucky after he shared the 1989 SEC championship with Auburn and Tennessee. Curry was run out of town because he couldn’t beat Auburn.

Every Auburn coach since 1981 has had at least a .500 record against Alabama (save Oliver’s brief interim tenure). Pat Dye was 6-6. Terry Bowden was 3-2. Oliver was 0-1. Tommy Tuberville was 7-3. Gene Chizik is 1-1.

Alabama’s nine have had mixed results. Gene Stallings had a great run, while Bill Curry and Mike Shula had disastrous results against Auburn. Everyone else has been .500. Bear Bryant was 1-1. Ray Perkins was 2-2. Bill Curry was 0-3. Gene Stallings was 5-2. Mike DuBose was 2-2. Denis Franchione was 1-1. Mike Price never coached a game. Mike Shula was 0-4. Nick Saban is 2-2.

Coaches around the country are equally divided on their thoughts. I sampled a few recently, asking them which was the better job over the past 30 years.

A former SEC assistant who’s now in the Big 12 said, “You’d think Alabama. But, based on production, you’d have to say Auburn.”

A former SEC head coach thought it was too close to call. He said, “Who knows? I know one thing. (Jordan-Hare Stadium) is the loudest bitch I’ve ever been in.”

30 years later, Gene Chizik made Pat Dye's dream a reality.A current coordinator who has worked at Alabama told me, “Alabama thought it could exist because it was Alabama. Dye hit them in the face. It took a while for Alabama to realize they lagged in many areas. Finally, Alabama realized the deal and started building facilities and committed and hired Nick (Saban). Alabama thought they were the (stuff) and were being run past by a lot of people – not just Auburn.”

When I asked which job he’d take if both were on the table, he said, “Alabama. Political power. But, it takes someone like Bryant or Nick to control it.”

A Big 12 assistant told me, “There’s no question Auburn’s the better job. You ask almost any coach and he’ll tell you the same thing. “

Another former SEC head coach told me, “Alabama (is the better job.)”

Another former SEC coordinator, who’s a current head coach said, “No question, Auburn’s the better job. That’s the one. I’d take that one in a heartbeat.”

An assistant coach who worked at Auburn during the 90’s said, “When you really look at it, Auburn may be the better job.”

It may be – or it may not be. Recent history says Auburn is at least as good a job as Alabama. Looking at it objectively, the numbers above don’t lie.

The bottom line is this: The state of Alabama is home to two of college football’s premier powerhouse programs. This is not a Vanderbilt/Tennessee situation. Or a Georgia/Georgia Tech situation. Comparing Auburn and Alabama football is like comparing Duke and North Carolina in basketball. They’re both great. Both rank in the top 15 on the all-time wins list. Both have long, storied histories. And both have national championships in the past two years.

Alabama fans will say, “We have 13 national championships.” Well, that may (or may not be) true. But most of those were won decades ago. Keep in mind that Florida, now considered one of the top two jobs nationally, was not a premier job until Steve Spurrier arrived in 1990. Auburn and Alabama both have much richer histories than do the Gators.

Today’s reality is that Auburn is every bit Alabama’s equal – and has been since Pat Dye uttered “60 minutes.” There’s no denying that – especially after last Monday night. Little brother is all grown up.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Who's Been More Dominant?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
I used to beat up my little brother. 

Still can
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
A former SEC head coach thought it was too close to call. He said, “Who knows? I know one thing. (Jordan-Hare Stadium) is the loudest bitch I’ve ever been in.”

:wave:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
I think that really puts things in perspective concerning where this program has been for a long time now.  Personally, I don't give a rat's chocolate starfish about comparing AU to UA.  More concerned with the overall winning percentage, ranking in total wins, SEC Championships and undefeated seasons.  Rational fans (Hard to find sometimes) know how we stack up with the tahd.  No worries there. I just like seeing validation that Auburn, for the most part, is a relevant player on the national scene.  And as we found out this year...you keep swinging for the fence, eventually you'll go deep.

I can live with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
Another former SEC coordinator, who’s a current head coach said, “No question, Auburn’s the better job. That’s the one. I’d take that one in a heartbeat.”

BOOM!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
I used to beat up my little brother. 

Still can

Me too!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »
Is there a link to this article?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:58 AM »
A very similar "article", but reiterates some of those same points.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/571270-low-tide-revealing-the-myth-of-crimson-tide-supremacy

Alabama Football: Revealing the Myth of Crimson Tide Supremacy
By Anthony Cagle (Correspondent) on January 13, 2011 3,793

It is no secret that Alabama fans suffer from a superiority syndrome. Their hatred for everything Auburn is a close second to their arrogance.

Auburn’s national championship run this year has left a bitter taste in the mouths of many Tide fans.

There have been articles about “Auburn’s 15 minutes of fame"; numerous people have commented that they will be glad when Auburn returns to mediocrity.

This article will examine the validity of these ideas.

There is no doubt that Alabama has enjoyed a storied history. Of course, what many Tide fans want to overlook is that Auburn has as well. The thing is that what happened in 1926 has nothing to do with today.

Greece was a military power in 320 BC. What is more important is recent history.

1982 ushered in a new era in Auburn history. Auburn snapped a nine game losing streak against Alabama. Since that time, Auburn has clearly been the more successful team.

Auburn’s overall record for that time is 250-98-5 compared to Alabama’s 247-110-2. The strength of schedule for both teams is close, 5.08 for Auburn and 5.30 for Alabama. Auburn has an advantage over Alabama in head to head play with a 17-12 record in the Iron Bowl.

It does not stop there.

Auburn has had 24 winning seasons since 1982; Alabama has had 23. Both have 22 bowl appearances, with virtually identical records (AU 15-6-1 and Bama 15-7). Auburn has finished in the AP Top 25 more times that Alabama (22 times to Alabama’s 17). Auburn also holds a better average final ranking for this time period (20.88 to 23.83).

During this time period Auburn has won six SEC titles.  Alabama has won four.

One might wonder how the two teams stack up against their rivals other than each other. Auburn’s main rivals are LSU and Georgia; Tennessee and LSU for Alabama.

Against LSU, Auburn holds a record of 11-10; the Alabama/LSU rivalry is tied at 14-14-1.

Auburn leads “The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry” with a record of 16-12-1; Alabama falls slightly behind Georgia with a record of 4-5-1.

Against Tennessee, Auburn has posted a 10-6-2 record, while Alabama is knotted with the Volunteers with a 14-14-1 record.

Of course, no one can discuss football with an Alabama fan without hearing about “13” National Championships. However, as discussed, what happened in 1926 is of little concern. Since 1982, Alabama has two national championships (1992 and 2009)—well, unless one is counting the five that they added somewhere between 1983 and 1986.

Yes, that is right: Alabama added five national championships (1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941) in the 1980’s.

If Auburn wanted to use the same logic as Alabama, then they could claim nine national championships.

Aside from the 2010 national championship, Auburn went undefeated in 1993 and 2004. In 1983, Auburn went 11-1 against the toughest schedule in college football. The Tigers went into the Sugar Bowl ranked third. Despite winning the Sugar Bowl and the top two teams losing, the Tigers were overlooked by AP voters.

Once again, if one were to use the “Got 13” logic then Auburn has three national championships since 1982.

Alabama fans would like others to believe that they are the superior team, not only in the state or conference, but the country. However, facts clearly show that in recent history they can not legitimately make this claim.

Not only do they fall behind their in state rivals, but they also fail to show dominance against SEC rivals in head to head competition.

If any claims of mediocrity are going to be made, they should be directed at the Crimson Tide and not the Tigers of Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »
The last 30 years is not just "recent history", but it's a significant portion (1/4 of the years that Bama and Auburn have actually played college football)  of the whole of college football.  It's also the most recent, the most visible, AND quite importantly the most competitive time in college football.  In the 70s, 60s, and before, there was not any Appy State going in to the Big House and knocking off Michigan, or La Tech going to Tuscaloosa and beating Bama. Scholarship limitations now have kids that might have preferred to warm the bench at Bama or Auburn while on scholarship, playing football at places like Troy, Jacksonville State, and such.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions