Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tigers keeping things loose in preparation for BCS title game

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Tigers keeping things loose in preparation for BCS title game
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- During a rare 15-minute window of media availability at the start of Auburn's practice Wednesday, the cameras were predictably trained on quarterback Cam Newton.

So defensive tackle Nick Fairley, the Tigers' marquee star on the other side of the ball, decided to have a little fun.

Yelling at a high pitch, he zoomed across the practice field and raced in front of the row of cameras filming Newton's every move.

The act drew laughs from teammates and even prodded some media members to switch sides and start watching the defense.

"He's a goofball," said defensive back T'Sharvan Bell.

Auburn didn't appear particularly uptight during the practice on the lush turf at Scottsdale Community College. With gorgeous 65-degree temperatures, blue skies and a mountain backdrop, it almost appeared serene.

There were a few signs that this is still football, however. Defensive line coach Tracy Rocker yelled at one player to "run to the mountains." Special teams coordinator Jay Boulware blew up at one unit that was late running onto the field.

Then the media was ushered away and the closed practice continued for a couple hours more.

"It was another really good day of preparation," said Tigers coach Gene Chizik. "It was a nice, physical practice, which is what we needed. We prepared well, but we still have some time. We have some things we have to get cleaned up, but I think we're on track."

* Auburn receiver Emory Blake lived in the Phoenix area when his father Jeff played for the NFL's Cardinals in 2003.

"I hear a lot of guys talk about the mountains," Blake said. "I heard someone say, 'Are the mountains fake?' Some people haven't seen mountains before. It's different."

* Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn and Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti went through the media wringer Wednesday.

The loquacious Aliotti stole the show with a series of one-liners, although he also expressed exasperation about the pregame questioning that has now stretched on for weeks.

"People keep asking me how I've been sleeping," Aliotti said when asked about the challenge of preparing for Newton. "I've been sleeping like a baby: I wake up every two hours and cry."

Aliotti said he didn't see his showdown with Malzahn as a battle of "gurus."

"I think you're a guru a lot of times when you have really good players," Aliotti said. "I have a lot of respect for Gus Malzahn. I won't put myself in any guru category. I would just say this: We're working hard. Our guys are practicing hard. We've stuck to what got us here. What got us to the dance are the same things we're doing in preparation down here in Arizona and also when we were back in Eugene before we got down here. I anticipate and fully expect that our guys will play hard and play fast and finish. And we'll see what happens on Monday night."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."