Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

White House press secretary Gibbs ready for Auburn's shot at BCS title

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-12-15-robert-gibbs-auburn-oregon-white-house_N.htm

WASHINGTON — Robert Gibbs lovingly placed a small statue of Aubie, Auburn University's tiger mascot, on the front of his desk at the White House Wednesday.

"You know that God is an Auburn fan," Gibbs said, smiling sunnily, "because the sun is orange and the sky is blue."

President Obama's press secretary will take time off from his day job come Jan. 10 so he and two high school pals can go to the Bowl Championship Series title game in Arizona matching their beloved Auburn with Oregon.

"I've told my friends the only request I have is a nice Chinese restaurant for the night before the game," Gibbs said, "so that we can have some duck."

Gibbs grew up in Auburn, where his parents worked for the university library, and he and his brother sat in the faculty section at games. His esteem for Auburn football is so deep he'd even root for the Tigers against North Carolina State, his alma mater.

GIBBS' PICK: 'Underestimated' D will lift Auburn to title

"Auburn is where I grew up," he said. "That's my first love."

Gibbs, 39, clarified that he'd root for N.C. State in basketball and any sport other than football. He was a backup on Wolfpack soccer teams in the early 1990s.

"I was a goalkeeper, which was excellent practice for what I do now," Gibbs said, "standing up there, making sure something doesn't get past you."

President Obama is on record that he thinks a playoff would be better than the BCS system, which left an undefeated Auburn out of the national title game after the 2004 season and will do the same to an undefeated TCU team this time.

Gibbs concurs but jokes, "I may get the president to amend doing away with the BCS until sometime after mid-January."

Gibbs set aside questions about an NCAA probe into the recruiting of quarterback Cam Newton, the Heisman winner.

"Look, I think the NCAA has come to their decision on that," Gibbs said. "Cam Newton is eligible. He has been for college football this year a terrific and wonderful story. … With that smile and with those runs he has lit up a lot of Auburn faces this year."

Gibbs plans to place a friendly wager with Oregon grad Sean Smith, assistant secretary for public affairs in the Department of Homeland Security. "I have as many combinations of hats, sweatshirts and jackets as our team does uniforms," Smith said.

Auburn fans hang toilet paper from old-growth oak trees at Toomer's Corner after big wins. Gibbs and his son Ethan, 7, did the same, "albeit with less toilet paper," in the tree in their front yard after games against Alabama and South Carolina. Ethan "thinks it's the greatest thing we've ever done."

Would Gibbs consider TP-ing trees at the White House if Auburn wins the national title?

"I will have to talk to the Secret Service beforehand so they know that it's simply a tradition," Gibbs said, "but that's not a bad idea."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: White House press secretary Gibbs ready for Auburn's shot at BCS title
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »
Those are some of the most insightful statements I've ever heard him say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

No shit! I might actually be able to watch him on TV for a brief second now. It will be a struggle, but as long as I remind myself that he loves Auburn, I think I can do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »

True. Only because there were no idiot political statements issued.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
Dude...how bad ass would it be to have pictures of trees with TP hanging off of it in front of the White House after an Auburn National Championship. If you had pictures of that...you could make a fucking mint...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:07:09 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
Dude...how bad ass would it be to have pictures of trees with TP hanging off of it in front of the White House after an Auburn National Championship. If you had pictures of that...you could make a fucking mint...

I may spar with you at times, BUT....

I like the way you think WE!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE